Savage AXIS-II I'm Impressed (And I'm Pretty Picky)

I used the .323 180gr NBT in my 8mm/06 Ackley Improved (wildcat) that was right at 3000fps Mv.

On 2 different occassions I hit deer cleanly through the rib cage, no large skeletal impact. I found walnut sized chunks of lung on the ground in both cases. Never failed to recover a deer hit solidly with that bullet, 1 buck that I hit a bit far back through the liver only managed to go about 50yds & left a copious blood trail smeared on the nearly waist high ferns he ran through..

Sadly, even with the stellar terminal performance, the .323 180gr NBT doesn't suit the rifling twist of military 98 barrels as well as heavier bullets. Still acceptable accuracy, but 200gr bullets are tack drivers. I don't care for the Accubond, small exit wounds & too much meat damage on entry. I wish that Nosler made a .323 200gr BT or Hornady a 195gr Interbond.

Edited by wildcat junkie

Barnes makes the TSX in .323", 180 and 200 grain, Dan... Barnes bullets are very accurate in my rifles ..Seems like either would be a good choice in your 8MM wildcat. I love the terminal performance.. They kill very well, often retaining nearly 100% bullet weight, and don't seem to leave as much shredded/bloodshot meat as lead bullets..They also nearly ALWAYS leave an exit hole.

A little personal experience with Hornady 139gr .284 (SST) Interlocks. There is a little slough behind my barn with a high bank on the far side for an effective backstop. The water is only about 12" deep & the bottom is flat stone. I used to set up targets on the near side. I found empty SST interlock jackets in the water from spent rounds out of my .280. Not a trace of lead left in them. they were peeled back evenly so it appears that impact with the water caused jacket separation.

Unlike the NBTs that have thick jackets near the base, the SST interlocks are straight (thin) cup & core bullets relying on a ridge near the base to prevent separation at high impact velocity. I definately wouldn't trust SST Interlocks in a high velocity (3000fps+) cartridge.

Edited by wildcat junkie

I don't like the rifle scope combos. You need to spend more on glass than your gun in my opinion. I'm sad to see some of these guns aren't even giving you the option.

Yeah, you can buy the AXIS as a gun only, but the AXIS-II is only available as an "XP" package.

Decent glass can be bought for $199 right now as Cabelas has the VX-1 Leupy on sale.

• Like 1

Earlier you could fine the vx2 for just $250. It's all most deer hunters really need.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The VX-1 has the same optics as the old VX-II & the same 1/4 minute clicks. Pretty good basic scope.

The old Vari-X II of years gone by became the VX-I & the VX-II became the VX-1.

I paid $299 shipped, a few years ago for my VX-II & that was the best price around at the time.

I hope the competition from Vortex & others that have their moderately priced scopes made in the Philippines & China doesn't force Leupold to do the same.

Somewhere along the line the American consumer needs to realize the true cost of lower prices when it costs American jobs.

Santa aka my wonderful wife of 30 years totally surprised me this morning with the savage axis in 7mm-08. I really had no idea she was going to do this! She even contacted my best bud and hunting partner as to the caliber and all. I still can't believe he didn't slip up and tell me! It is my first actual deer rifle and I can't wait to shoot it. I'll take wildcat's advice and upgrade the glass and perhaps a timiney trigger in the future. But even as it is, it's a big jump up from my old deerslayer ll. Going hunting for ammo tomorrow, and from the info on this thread the 140 gr Federal ballistic tip should be a good round for this gun, if I can find it. Right?

• Like 2

Yes indeed, Grampy !!

It's been my favorite deer cartridge for a number of years..

The Federal BT round would be a good factory load to try, but don't discount the relatively inexpensive 140 grain Remington green pointed soft points.

I'm a handloader myself, but several of my non-reloading buddies use the Remingtons with good results.

Have fun with your new toy..I'm sure you'll enjoy it, and you'll find it MUCH more pleasant to shoot than any shotgun with slugs, especially an Ithaca pump..<<OUCH>>....

• Like 1

Pygmy, don't you mean Ithaca 'thump'? LOL

In the early 1980's I did test firings and sight-ins for a gunsmith friend of mine in exchange for 'smith work. Having a dozen slug guns to sight-in at one sitting was not, repeat NOT, an enjoyable part of that job. The model 37 was the worst offender by a fair margin, and there were always a few in the to-do pile. I still have mine though, and wouldn't part with it for anything. :rolleyes:

Edited by philoshop
  • Like 1

Santa aka my wonderful wife of 30 years totally surprised me this morning with the savage axis in 7mm-08. I really had no idea she was going to do this! She even contacted my best bud and hunting partner as to the caliber and all. I still can't believe he didn't slip up and tell me! It is my first actual deer rifle and I can't wait to shoot it. I'll take wildcat's advice and upgrade the glass and perhaps a timiney trigger in the future. But even as it is, it's a big jump up from my old deerslayer ll. Going hunting for ammo tomorrow, and from the info on this thread the 140 gr Federal ballistic tip should be a good round for this gun, if I can find it. Right?

Don't forget to download the $50 rebate coupon.

http://www.savagearms.com/promotions/

The savage rebates page also has a link for rebates on federal ammo. $25 rebate if you buy $50 worth of Federal Premium ammo within 30 days of the savage rifle purchase & before 12/31.

The 140gr NBT loads qualify.

http://federalpremium.com/downloads/promotions/OT822_2014_FederalSavage_Coupon.pdf

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1

My bro in law showed me his new Axis II yesterday and I liked the gun and feel it's a really good value for the money. A very serviceable gun. I liked the feel of the gun but the bolt action was a bit rough and a bit cheap looking but you get what you pay for.  I also wouldn't say it would "outshoot" a Model 70 as the new M70's are real shooters and one in walnut is a real beauty but double the money of the Axis.

My bro in law showed me his new Axis II yesterday and I liked the gun and feel it's a really good value for the money. A very serviceable gun. I liked the feel of the gun but the bolt action was a bit rough and a bit cheap looking but you get what you pay for.  I also wouldn't say it would "outshoot" a Model 70 as the new M70's are real shooters and one in walnut is a real beauty but double the money of the Axis.

There's a balance with everything.

With the Axis, I agree it too is serviceable. Like you said it's half the price and for for 99% of east coast hunters who will only ever shoot paper or whitetails, and maybe a bear once, I don't see the action as being something to really harp on. It's serviceable. That cost reduction allows for some room to invest in glass or at least glass of serviceable quality as oppsed to the chinese stock stuff.

• Like 1

There's a balance with everything.

With the Axis, I agree it too is serviceable. Like you said it's half the price and for for 99% of east coast hunters who will only ever shoot paper or whitetails, and maybe a bear once, I don't see the action as being something to really harp on. It's serviceable. That cost reduction allows for some room to invest in glass or at least glass of serviceable quality as oppsed to the chinese stock stuff.

I talked to the young man that bought the AXIS-II this morning. He was unaware of the rebates & had to go "dumpster diving" yesterday to get the UPC tag from the box. lol

We have decided to take the scope off the rifle before shooting it so it can be sold as new with paperwork & warranty registration sans original packaging on e-bay. They are asking $100 to $130 for them NIB. I think a buy it now price of $80  with a reserve of $60 should move it.

If we put that with his rebates it will pay for a Boyds "classic" lamintaed stock. I'll loan him my 3-9X40 Leupy VX-II for the time being. He can buy a VX-1 as finances permit over the summer. The OE mounts/rings should suffice on a light recoiling 7mm-08.

With a good stable stock & dependable servicable glass it should serve him well. I would expect it to be a tack driver set up like that W/properly tuned handloads.

What I have an issue with is the ludacrous idea that one can take a "bore sighted" weapon out of the box & hunt with it.

This review will probably cause countless wounded animals & disappointed novice hunters that didn't know any better.

Bore sighted is in no way whatsoever to be considered "sighted in"!

Edited by wildcat junkie

This is a great review.WJ your review may have swayed me toward this Axis.

I'm looking at the Axis XP in 7mm 08 for my son as his first deer rifle. On sale at Dicks for $369 and $100 gift card he got for Xmas. Just wondering how is the recoil on the 7mm?

This is a great review.WJ your review may have swayed me toward this Axis.

I'm looking at the Axis XP in 7mm 08 for my son as his first deer rifle. On sale at Dicks for $369 and $100 gift card he got for Xmas. Just wondering how is the recoil on the 7mm?

Not much more than a .243. They are both based on the .308 case. To start him out you could use 120gr reduced recoil loads. Then as he grows step up to standard 140gr loads or eventually go full bore with "Super Performance" loads.

You would be covering a performance envelope from mild 257 Roberts recoil/energy to 270 Win/280 Rem power/trajectory. Perfectly capable of taking Elk size game with effeciency.

7mm-08 is a much more flexible cartridge than a .243. I always recommend it as a great beginer's caliber that will never be outgrown.

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1