how to get started

sweet old bill

Hi, I have hunted with a bow for over 55 years, still hunt with both a compound set at 56 lbs and a recurve traditional bow at 45 lbs.

I would like to get a cross bow, but sure do not have a $1000 to lay out, being on SS / retired.  Is there a brand that meets all needs to hunt with that does not cost a arm and a leg, or a recommendation for a used cross bow mfg and model that you would recommend.

First of all, this is not the right place to pose that question! Pretty limited number of experienced Xbow users on this forum & the fact that NYS has only allowed them in recent years. There are a couple of great Xbow forums that have members from across the entire US with many more years of experience than are on here. Just be aware there is a lot of brand loyalty with Xbow hunters, much like compound bow hunters are to their Hoyts, Mathews, etc.

Disclaimer; The following advice is from my limited experience as a green belt rookie, but I did have to go through the same buying process as what you will.

The trick to buying a 1st Xbow is similar to getting your 1st rifle. Meaning a cheaper model rifle with a good scope will give much better results &/or satisfaction than a more expensive rifle with a disappointing and cheap scope. If you look at the mfger's websites you can generally see what scopes they use & how the reticules look. Most newer scopes have the illuminated dots/X-hairs for low light conditions. Word of advice, if left on these scopes can drain a watch battery overnight. Carry a spare!

Decide how you'll be using the new Xbow, in a tree stand, blind, stalking, etc. Then you need to decide what you expect from it and you can narrow the candidates from the 3X different styles, recurve, compound or reverse draw. Recent trend is narrower compound styles for better maneuverability in a tree stand or blind. You won't need the latest & greatest model to kill deer within a 40yrds range. All the "bells & whistles" are added costs and IMHO you don't need a 200#/370fps Xbow. Okay, so your budget fits into this somewhere! lol

Common sense says; "Shoot one first", but that option isn't always available due to the limited number of mfgers &/or models bow shops carry where you can actually test drive one. So, you pretty much have to rely on customer satisfaction ratings or reviews. Again, a better source for these is the Xbow forums and not Dick;s, BP, Cabelas, etc. Ideally, any gun club or Xbow organization that has an event where you can shoot other peoples equipment would be preferred, but those are pretty limited. With your background, you must know a number of bow hunters that might have crossed-over and would be willing to share their equipment for a trial shoot...!?!

Be aware that Xbows are pretty heavy, meaning a sling &/or shooting mono-pod stick would be very helpful!!! They're amazingly awkward to carry, especially thru any thicker habitat!!! This applies to maneuvering around while up in a tree stand. Of course you no longer have the holding at full draw issue, but with a Xbow it can be extremely difficult to conceal your movements for a shot to your sides, left or right. More so than while standing with a vertical bow! Very noisy to shoot, but that can be dampened down some what. Nothing near as quite as a compound!!! So...those 60, 70yrd shots people are bragging about will be pretty rare. FYI - Xbows are one size fits all, no adjustments required. Other than maybe the scope eye relief distance.

After you've done all your homework & research, now is actually a good time to be looking (shopping). The SHOT show in Feb debuts mfgers newest offering, so they try to get the older models cleared out of the dealers inventory. These may be more noticeable in March/April with sales &/or rebates.

I bought mine as a lifetime investment, since I'm about your age and probably will never buy another one. Of course, there can also be the buyer's remorse if you splurge. Nothing wrong with buying a used Xbow. Naturally, you wouldn't go this route without handling, inspecting and shooting it first since there are no guarantees or returns when buying used equipment. This is where good reviews are especially helpful for existing older models, something new models don't have a history of.

My thanks to all the suggestions. I will have to find a crossbow hunter in Delaware county near me to see and shoot what he is using so I can see if I want to have one.

At 73 I still can and do shoot a PSE drive xl 2013 for hunting it is setup at 56 lbs and 29 inch draw. With sight, arrows (4), and quiver it is 5.6 lbs. Now that is  much lighter than a cross bow. I no longer hunt from tree stands as I have bad legs and also COPD.

Find a big box store near you that can let you try some out at their indoor range.  Not sure if there are many by you, such as Dicks Sporting Goods, Bass Pro, Cabelas or Field and Stream.

Right now you can get a reasonable priced compound crossbow for $400 or so.  Getting a good scope is a must as well.  Also, if you have shoulder or back issues, you should seriously consider a crank cocking device.  The cranking aid is worth every penny to save you physical pain which can come on without any warning after straining to load a crossbow manually.

You can  get advice as well from on line dealers.  Wyvern Creations in New Hampshire is excellent, and David will answer all your questions and give you some good advice.

Best of luck, you will really like crossbow hunting.

I bought an entry-level (Barnett Recruit - $250 from Amazon) last April and it exceeded my expectations in many areas.   It arrived in the mail in about a week and was simple to assemble.  It came with a quiver, rope cocking device, three arrows with 100 gr field tips, and a red-dot type sight, with three dots that could be changed red or green at various light intensities.  My only complaint with the thing is that the intensity level / on-off knob on the sight is tough to turn.   It is very easy, and responsive to adjust however, unlike some of my expensive rifle scopes.   

I switched to 125 gr field tips, and about 3/4 turn vertical adjustment up was required, that's it.   It shot flat from 10 to 30 yards with all groups under a quarter's size, all using the top dot.   At 40 yards, it was about 3" low with the top dot and group size was about 2".  These shots were all from a rest.  I was very impressed with how flat this thing shot compared to my compound, especially given that it was just a 135 lb draw, 300 fps model.   On the range, I tried the first shots at 30 and 40 yards with the middle dot, but they always went high (about 6" at 30 and 3" at 40).

While hunting last season, I only had one buck (small body 4 pt), within range, no does.   Unfortunately I was asleep in my blind and when I awoke to the sound of his footsteps 15 yards away, he was looking straight at me and the x-bow was on the ground.   I lifted it up in "slow motion", but when it got above my rest he took off and I never got a shot.    That turned out to be bad news for his bigger brother (6 pt) a couple days later on the last day I could hunt during archery season.

The 6 point never got within range, but he stood broadside at 50 yards (my estimate) tempting me to take the shot.   I figured I had a 75% or better chance (that's my number on the last day), so I decided to take the shot.  I had some idea what would happen with the middle dot from my work on the range, so I held for a high lung shot and squeezed the trigger.  I heard the tel-tale thump as the arrow found its mark, about 10" below my point of aim, and straight thru the heart.   Penetration was a somewhat dismal 7-1/4", but the buck only made it 40 yards due to the location of the hit.   I used a three blade mechanical broadhead.  It looked like someone emptied a can of red spray-paint on the buck's armpit as he ran off and crashed down.  

When I paced the range to where the the buck had stood, it was 60 yards, or a little longer than I had guessed, hence the low strike.   left-right was right on the mark.    It looks to me like that middle dot on the Recruit is for 50 yards as I thought, and the bottom dot must be for 60.  I will find out for sure this year before hunting.  I was not thrilled with the penetration at 60 yards however, and I will likely fork over another hundred or so for a Barnett Raptor (next model up 150 lb, 330 fps).  That should be a legit 60 yard x-bow.  

The Recruit is very light (6 lb), narrow (18" undrawn), and well balanced.  It actually handles and points as easy offhand as my Ruger 10/22 carbine.   The Raptor is just a hair heavier and same width.   Build quality seems to be very good.   It is unreal how much more effective these things are than a compound.  All that talk about them being similar in effectiveness is BS (have you ever compared the accuracy shooting a rifle from a rest to offhand?).  In my own hands, I would rate the x-bow as at least 6 times more effective on deer and 4 times as effective on targets as a compound. I actually feel sorry for the deer.   My favorite thing about them is how much time they save me by almost eliminating the need to practice compared to a compound.   I am not retired, and have a family, and farm to take care of so my time is very valuable.   I probably wont pick up a compound again after my experience with the crossbows.  Good luck with your purchase.  The only thing we need now is full inclusion for all of archery season.  I know I could fill all my doe tags if we had that.    

Edited by wolc123

The Barnett Recruit is an excellent entry level XBow.  I know several friends that have these and are quite pleased.  According to the crazy NY State regs. these XBows are too narrow and therefore not legal.  The amount is by the tiniest of margins.  I do not mind that anyone uses this Xbow in NY as I believe that there should be some level of practicallity when making and enforcing rules.  I have an Excalibur which is a recurve and I think the 200# draw upper limit on Xbows in NY is also crazy.

You had me worried there Cutbait as I always have been a real stickler for the rules. When I bought the Recruit in April 2014, It was advertised as "18" wide. I just checked it with a scale, and the overall width, to the outside of the cables, wrapped around the pulleys is 18-1/18". The NY law says that the minimum width, undrawn, measured to the "Tips of the limbs" is 17". When I measured to the limb tips, I got 17-1/64", or legal by a very narrow margin. I fired it 40 - 50 times since I got it including practice & unloading, 1 shot at a grouse (miss), and 1 at a deer (hit), and it is very likely that it did not meet the width law with a new string. Just a little stretch, and "good to go" however.

I have only shot it 4 times since killing my buck so I will still consider that a legal kill, even if I did push the range a little at 60 yards. I did not see any rules on maximum range, although I will limit future shots to 50 yards with that crossbow due to insufficient penetration by my own personal standards (I like a pass thru, and only got 7-1/4", enough to get the mechanical post-5805-0-18592800-1421195295_thumb.jpbroadhead thru the heart, but not thru the body). I will definitely check the tip to tip width of the Raptor before I upgrade this fall. I know I can achieve the accuracy I need for 60 yard shots and I was hoping that one would deliver the penetration with that extra speed and poundage.

Please note:  The effective hunting range of a crossbow is for all practical purposes the same as that of a verical compound bow.

I have an Excalibur Xbow that shoots just over 300FPS.  Comfortable shooting range for me with an Xbow is no longer than 30 yards in the deep woods. I am accurate out to 50 yards under ideal conditons = knowing the exact distance, nothing in the way, off of a stable rest and with a stationary target. 

Most of your shots in the deep woods will be in the 20 to 30 yard range.

Individuals can still be successful with shooting at longer distances, however the probability for success decreases exponentially as the distance goes beyond 30 yards.  There are many factors that lead to a lower probability of success; mainly - the ability to judge distance (gravity affects an arrow the same from a Xbow or a vertical compound bow) and the movement of the deer.

Whatever type of bow you are using; take practical, makeable shots - i.e., ethical shots.  Save the Hail Mary stuff for church.

Best wishes to everyone

Look at Wicked Ridge bows, made by TenPoint and they have a great rep. You can get one all rigged and ready to go for under $500. Also look at Carbon Express, Dicks has the Covert right now for $350. They also have a good rep. Personally Id stay away from Barnett. You can goolge alot of reasons why.

• Like 1