Walking in the woods in the dark :)

TheHunter

the scariest thing ive ever encountered in the woods was another hunter sitting against a tree 10 ft away in the dark. i was 12, first time in the deep woods in the dark without a flash light. i thought at first i was seeing things and diregarded it as a funky looking tree. then 10 mins go by after sitting there against a tree opposite the one in question and after much debate as to whether i was crazy or not i was convinced it was a person. i said, "hello?" and got no response. after multiple attempts and no responses i was thinking holy crap is this happening!? I thought i had a dead guy on my hands. i then stood up and started to make my way to the tree in question and finally he spoke up and said "hey"...... this mother-f-er sat there for ATLEAST 15mins did not move or say one word until i moved towards him. Undoubtedly the creepiest thing ive ever had to deal with deer hunting.

It ended up to be one of those situations where he was hunting land he wasnt sure about. figured hed set there motionless/silent and hope i moved on. well after talking to him he told me he had permission from the land owner to be there and i asked who the land owner was... knowing it was my family, and he gave me a made up name so i politely asked him to go back to where he came from and if he wanted to hunt there that bad he can ask my dad for permission.

After that i was glad i didnt walk in with a flash light on. how creepy would that be walking and then flash a guy sitting there against a tree. atleast in the dark i had shadows and my peripherals, i prefer that over a light where it makes everything black outside the light of the flash light. now i carry a flash light and only use it when i suspect something or feel something is out of the ordinary haha

Best story I ever heard was one a guy at work told me. Apparently he got up early and headed out for his stand that was across a creek and up on top of a hill. So he crossed the creek and was about half way up the hill when he heard something real heavy cracking branches and crashing through the leaves on a dead run right at him. This great big black animal came flying by brushing past his leg.

Apparently some time after he had left, someone let the family dog (a huge black lab) out to do his business and he decided to take up my buddy's trail instead. I guess he let out a bit of a less than manly scream ..... lol. It was a funny story, but I think if something like that were ever to happen to me, I probably wouldn't think it was all that funny.

Those "screams" are a fox, not a fisher.

I agree...I have heard plenty of foxes while hunting coon and foxes at night..

Members of the weasel family (fishers included) are not very vocal..Red and grey foxes, on the other hand, are sometimes VERY vocal, as are other canines, such as coyotes and wolves.

The term fisher cat is misleading...Fishers are not even remotely related to cats, other than the fact that they are carniverous predators.

I heard a sound last weekend I never heard before.. It basically sounded like the Marines cry "Ooh-Rah" except with a third syllable: "Ahh-Ooh-Rah".. I heard it about 5 times while it was pitch black out. Have no idea what that was.. It was loud though.

If I can't see, I use a flashlight.. I honestly have yet to hear an argument to convince me otherwise.. There are many things to trip over, fall in, or hurt yourself on out there in the woods.. Even a trail you have walked on your entire life may one day have a tree across it.

I was talking to 3 bowhunters last weekend, 2 were teasing the third guy because he won't walk in to the woods without a headlamp and a flashlight. The third guy told me he was walking in to his stand once and a bird possibly an owl flew right in to his chest.He said he screamed,threw his bow and never walked in without lights again. :wild:

Fishers are one of the five members of the weasel family that live in NY.

A couple of coon fighting will get your attention.

A story my Dad use to tell me involved a couple of buddies and him dragging a deer out of the ADK's a long time ago. Seems a bobcat was shadowing them and screaming now and again. Guess it wanted their deer. No real danger but it's something he never forgot.

I got a buddy who owns a camp in 9p. Couple yrs back he was heading into the woods when he heard some noises and soon found himself surrounded by a pack of feral dogs. As they moved in to about 10 ft, snarling and heads lowered, he decided there was no way out. Thats when he started to unload his 12 guage at anything that moved . When it was all over he had killed 4 of what he figured were 7 or 8. Blood and body parts were sprayed across the snow. The DEC came out and according to the officer, a domestic dog can turn feral in 2 weeks time, and because they have been around humans there whole life, they are much more bold when they are desperate for food than wild animals. We also have a camp in 9p and i can tell you that i have never set out for my stand without that stupid story popping into my head. I still can manage to control my fears most of the time so that i don't need the light on, but it's not easy. My brother even had gone so far as to carry a machete in with him when he bow hunts. That then compounded my fears. Now i think about feral dogs AND lunatic guys in the woods with machetes. I can't win.

I like walking in the dark. My worst enemy at night have been those attack grouse that always wait in the pine trees. And of course jumping bedded deer, that's always a joy.

But, my friend had a dead lion in his pond when the ice melted this spring (saw the pics, small one but a lion at any rate) and the dogs and the bears, makes it a little more interesting.

Today I was walking in and got to where there is an old dirt road (private), I clicked off the flashlight and started walking down it when a yote began howling behind me.. Nobody around for miles.. A rather lonely feeling I must say.. I clicked the flashlight back on and went to my spot.. BTW, a small buck walked right out next to me about 1.5 hours later..

Yesterday morning, I went to my spot while it was still dark but since the moon was near full, I had enough light to get to my spot. Plus, it's across a grass field so it's not like I had to stumble around much. To enter this field, you have to go through this tiny clearing along this roll of thorn bushes. At the end of my sit, I went back and saw a gut pile right at the opening of those thorn bushes. I must have stepped within inches of this gut pile on my way in. Imagine if I would have stepped and slipped onto that gut pile while coming in. Would not have been cool.