Anyone else have property in the wind farm project zone?

First-light

between microwave ovens, cell phone signals, wireless internet signals, GPS signals, current power sources, etc....something is bound to get you. I bet you have way more chance of getting killed by a car tire that flies off someone else's car than a wind turbine blade flying off and hitting you.

I'd still invite him over for beers. I might ask that he bring over some nice IPA instead of Coors Light, but nevertheless, I wouldn't be pissed at him. Not sure why anyone would have a right to be pissed at him.

You say that now, but if your property value plummeted because of the neighbor's decision, you might just change your mind.   I understand the desire to optimize your financial well being, but doing so at the expense of your neighbor must be seriously considered.  BTW - you are not invited to move next door.  lol

Members of our club had a chance to jump on board with wind generator people several years ago in Wyoming county. We kicked it around and decided not to pursue. I think we had a chance at either $7000/year royalty or whatever money we could receive for 3 or 4 percent of the generation per year.

The money would have been nice, but the windmill would have dominated the view from the camp front door and, in the view of the membership, destroyed the value of the camp.

A neighbor did decide to allow construction of 2 windmills, but we didn't get mad or stomp our feet. He/she did what was right for them. We can see and hear them whooshing...whooshing, and may have ruined the turkey hunting, given the traditional roosting areas were taken out. 

I drive frequently from Olean to Batavia, using route 98 and am amazed at the hundreds of wind generators dotting the landscape. To me, it ruined the area in Wyoming County, Allegany county, but people make their choices and go with it, and that's ok.

You say that now, but if your property value plummeted because of the neighbor's decision, you might just change your mind.   I understand the desire to optimize your financial well being, but doing so at the expense of your neighbor must be seriously considered.  BTW - you are not invited to move next door.  lol

I'm sure much of my home value is at the cost of someone upstream that changed the water course in 2013, so I'm likely living that situation now. I can't show evidence to it, but it's very likely true.

At the same point and time, I can't blame a guy for moving up should he be in such a situation as with a turbine. No different than selling land for a subdivision or OGM rights.  Obviously safety/health implications are paramount and that would need to be fully vetted. Do property values plummet with these? Not sure, but a good question. Everyone throws that out there, but I haven't seen anyone post proof of that. I'm sure logically it may make sense, but is there an equal interest in development of the resource that keeps prices as high or higher? Similar to fracking...event he speculation of it alone drove values up, and I think one would say that they'd probably rather have a wind turbine over fracking.

You'd probably start using the blades as a moving target anyway. And because its you, you get the friend discount. I'll only ask for 24 of them to be put up, not 25. LOL.

Edited by phade

I can't blame a guy for moving up should he be in such a situation as with a turbine. No different than selling land for a subdivision or OGM rights. 

Pretty sure that most would view a subdivision next door vs. a wind farm as very different and, even without any research, I would bet that the wind farm does hurt neighboring property values, unlike a subdivision which often increases property values when utilities and sewers are brought in.  In any event, you are barred from buying land in Webster. 

All that said, if you want to put a few up out your way and move to Iowa, just make sure I have a few good stands at the new place. 

Pretty sure that most would view a subdivision next door vs. a wind farm as very different and, even without any research, I would bet that the wind farm does hurt neighboring property values, unlike a subdivision which often increases property values when utilities and sewers are brought in.  In any event, you are barred from buying land in Webster. 

All that said, if you want to put a few up out your way and move to Iowa, just make sure I have a few good stands at the new place. 

What about fracking though? My understanding is that it drives values up and that comes with some pretty intense risks. Obviously NY has bucked that trend to allow it, but other states have.

A wind farm might be the same because if the land next door is suitable for the turbines, chances are yours may be as well. You could be completely correct, but I've just never seen anything on it other than heresay from people who don't want the turbines.

Most people here commented on the "eye sore" which I found interesting; not their property value. If anything, that's what I would be upset about.

What about fracking though? My understanding is that it drives values up and that comes with some pretty intense risks. Obviously NY has bucked that trend to allow it, but other states have.

A wind farm might be the same because if the land next door is suitable for the turbines, chances are yours may be as well. You could be completely correct, but I've just never seen anything on it other than heresay from people who don't want the turbines.

Most people here commented on the "eye sore" which I found interesting; not their property value. If anything, that's what I would be upset about.

I look at the people around me (2) that have very little acreage. The wind co will not be interested in such small piece. So that person may see value erode slightly. i believe the wind co want 50 acres or better for turbines this is not be true for transmission lines.

I look at the people around me (2) that have very little acreage. The wind co will not be interested in such small piece. So that person may see value erode slightly. i believe the wind co want 50 acres or better for turbines this is not be true for transmission lines.

I hate "yeah but" scenarios, so what follows is irritating for me to say. That said, there are situations where small acreage is valuable - look at some of the Finger Lakes. People buy houses just to knock them down so they can build a bigger house on the property combined with the parcel next door.

One piece of ground I hunt on once in a blue moon is 17 acres and it has a a pretty lucrative natural gas lease because of its location off of Keuka Lake. The property is the prime access to the ones behind it for transit. I'm sure there are probably alot of people that might not get similar treatment, but small parcels aren't in and of themselves excluded from interest.

• Like 1

My neighbor has 9 acres. He will sell me the property when he no longer can get to his small camp. I plan on paying him the going rate before the turbines go up. Even if they do hurt his resale the value, this property is too valuable to me for hunting. Just another scenario.

I'd still invite him over for beers. I might ask that he bring over some nice IPA instead of Coors Light, but nevertheless, I wouldn't be pissed at him. Not sure why anyone would have a right to be pissed at him.

Beacause the Land owner that just bought the property sold it to the turbine companys ruining views that Many People and there familes have been enjoying for Generations.

On a side note, This is what happened to my property in Warsaw.

I own some property on the Hill outside of warsaw, 5 Years Ago there was a incredible view, Enjoying dinner while looking out to the mountains..Now 60 plus? Ugly disgusting White poles with a red blinking light. Completly ruined my realestate value, But it's okay cause some guy bought himself a lambo right? rant over...

• Like 1

Beacause the Land owner that just bought the property sold it to the turbine companys ruining views that Many People and there familes have been enjoying for Generations.

On a side note, This is what happened to my property in Warsaw.

I own some property on the Hill outside of warsaw, 5 Years Ago there was a incredible view, Enjoying dinner while looking out to the mountains..Now 60 plus? Ugly disgusting White poles with a red blinking light. Completly ruined my realestate value, But it's okay cause some guy bought himself a lambo right? rant over...

Hey - I don't think anyone wouldn't sympathize with you. That sucks.

At the same time, that person worked hard for the land (or inherited it through dumb luck), pays the taxes on it, and decided to do something on his land within his legal rights to better his life whether it be drive a lambo or otherwise. You didn't own the view created by the land that he/she owned, so what ownership do you have on that situation? If you wanted the view, you should have bought his land to secure it, no?

Has your tax assessed value gone down at all? Or comps in the area? Seems like all of the data I scanned seem to be one for and one against. No clear answer.

Again, I can't say enough that I feel bad for you. But, I can't see how this guy did anything wrong to you specifically. You just get screwed because of happenstance due to location. I'm there now because my house turns into an indoor swimming pool twice a year due to someone changing the water course. I can't prove it, so I get to shoulder the load. Trust me, I know how you feel.

When they were trying to get in here...there were so many unanswered questions...knowing they wanted to install some of the tallest in the country here. I knew that there maybe more than a few issues...like fly way patterns of many many birds due to the valley and surrounding lakes...then I started thinking of all the low flying military planes...ya the ones we could actually see the pilots in as they lumber over the house..and knowing there is a military radar guidance system in the area...so I made many ,many calls to lots of people from the wind company to the airforce and the people they sent me to...it was very educational on who didn't know what and the people asking me for contact numbers...Then this being an area where they are famous for the hot air balloon festival and the large # of hot air balloons that end up on our hill side fields. Making sure pressure came not just for ppl in our town but the people that could be effected  by a poor decision  by our town...The company decided to pull out...

Edited by growalot

Hey - I don't think anyone wouldn't sympathize with you. That sucks.

At the same time, that person worked hard for the land (or inherited it through dumb luck), pays the taxes on it, and decided to do something on his land within his legal rights to better his life whether it be drive a lambo or otherwise. You didn't own the view created by the land that he/she owned, so what ownership do you have on that situation? If you wanted the view, you should have bought his land to secure it, no?

Has your tax assessed value gone down at all? Or comps in the area? Seems like all of the data I scanned seem to be one for and one against. No clear answer.

Again, I can't say enough that I feel bad for you. But, I can't see how this guy did anything wrong to you specifically. You just get screwed because of happenstance due to location. I'm there now because my house turns into an indoor swimming pool twice a year due to someone changing the water course. I can't prove it, so I get to shoulder the load. Trust me, I know how you feel.

We have all kinds of land speculators who buy land with no concern for public good, or whether there are natural irreplaceable values that others appreciate that may be gone forever. Look at housing developments that virtually destroy open green-spaces that no one will ever see again. Ecological disasters that forever alter habitats, rural spaces. Whose fault is it. The developer? ... the wind power industry .... factory owners ... No in all cases. The real fault is the residents who did not have the foresight to set up adequate protections against destruction of those things that they supposedly treasure. I know of two local townships that came just short of attacking town hall with mobs carrying pitchforks and hoe handles and torches. Well, ha-ha-ha, maybe it wasn't that dramatic, but when the people spoke the elected town officials received their marching orders to protect what was valued by the residents. The same when industry tried to turn rural towns into little stepford style suburbs.

Don't blame the landowner. Blame the residents who didn't value the views and community resources within the townships enough to protect them. We don't allow garbage dumps to proliferate, we don't allow tar paper shacks to dot the landscape, and there is no need that any town has to allow 400' whirligigs to blot out the wooded hills either.

We have all kinds of land speculators who buy land with no concern for public good, or whether there are natural irreplaceable values that others appreciate that may be gone forever. Look at housing developments that virtually destroy open green-spaces that no one will ever see again. Ecological disasters that forever alter habitats, rural spaces. Whose fault is it. The developer? ... the wind power industry .... factory owners ... No in all cases. The real fault is the residents who did not have the foresight to set up adequate protections against destruction of those things that they supposedly treasure. I know of two local townships that came just short of attacking town hall with mobs carrying pitchforks and hoe handles and torches. Well, ha-ha-ha, maybe it wasn't that dramatic, but when the people spoke the elected town officials received their marching orders to protect what was valued by the residents. The same when industry tried to turn rural towns into little stepford style suburbs.

Don't blame the landowner. Blame the residents who didn't value the views and community resources within the townships enough to protect them. We don't allow garbage dumps to proliferate, we don't allow tar paper shacks to dot the landscape, and there is no need that any town has to allow 400' whirligigs to blot out the wooded hills either.

Agreed, if townspeople got together to protect what they value, then they've done their due diligence. Its all about accountability at the personal level.

I have alot of respect for people that get stuff like that done, whether I agree or not with their view. They're trying to make moves rather than complain about their view after the 400' monstrocity towers over their dinner table window. If you can protect what you value as a community at large, then all is well.

The community allows for turbines? Well, don't blame the landowner when one pops up. Look in the darn mirror.

Edited by phade