Confirmation!!

Lawdwaz

If you recall, a couple days ago I started a thread on the snow piles around my area:

http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/26603-snow-piles/

Funny thing, on the 6pm news tonight (WIVB Ch 4) they started the news off with an interesting fact; at the Buffalo Airport NWS reports 21" of snow on the ground at 9:30am this morning.  The last time we had that much snow on the ground was 1/8/2002.  13 years ago!  That confirms what I was thinking that we have a PILE of snow on the ground.  :(

Hard to believe its been THAT many years but the numbers don't lie!!

They also said that that measurement was two weeks after we had the all time snowiest week (82" in a WEEK) in Buffalo history.  Of course this is at the airport where things are officially measured, NOT Wooly's snow globe home.  :)

All this snow and SUPER cold temps could really do a number on the deer and turkey you'd think.  Hopefully we get a good thaw here PDQ but it isn't on the horizon.

• Like 1

post-2073-0-80142200-1423180080_thumb.jp

yeah, it's pretty bad......this is in front of my house down on L.I. a couple days ago, about three feet of water mixed with snow...they had to send a payloader to clear clear out the ice and snow that was blocking the storm drain. I went out there earlier to try and clear it by hand and went through a snowbank that quickly filled with water and soaked me up to my waist.........I can't describe the feeling, made me think how bad it must be to fall through the ice into a frozen lake, luckily I only had to endure it for about a minute.

The airport is a special case Lawd. It's just slightly within the official no-snow zone that includes Amherst and Clarence. Snow comes off the lake and dumps on Kenmore and N Buffalo, moves over the no-snow zone where it mixes with lots of hot air, then dumps again on Batavia. I thought everyone knew this.

Lawdwaz- I've been known to exaggerate by a few inches here and there, but in all honesty it's up to my belly button here already..... THE SNOW that is,lol

It's gotten so bad that even the coyote population is taking a big hit!

They finally dig down to the deer and turkey carcasses from hunting season only to be engulfed by the 13ft avalanche of snow that falls in around them.

Some relief would be nice, but it ain't looking good. What a bummer of a winter this has been!

• Like 2

Philo......

Oh I know it but I'm only about three miles as the crow flies to the west of it and I figure I measure what they measure. Obviously I know how things vary around here.

Also, as far as record keeping goes for the National Weather Service the only thing that is officially measured is there.

Edited by Lawdwaz

attachicon.gifdownsized_0202151040.jpg

yeah, it's pretty bad......this is in front of my house down on L.I. a couple days ago, about three feet of water mixed with snow...they had to send a payloader to clear clear out the ice and snow that was blocking the storm drain. I went out there earlier to try and clear it by hand and went through a snowbank that quickly filled with water and soaked me up to my waist.........I can't describe the feeling, made me think how bad it must be to fall through the ice into a frozen lake, luckily I only had to endure it for about a minute.

Do you live in Huntington, wow the picture looks familiar.  My buddy Joel lives next to a sump like that.   

The airport is a special case Lawd. It's just slightly within the official no-snow zone that includes Amherst and Clarence. Snow comes off the lake and dumps on Kenmore and N Buffalo, moves over the no-snow zone where it mixes with lots of hot air, then dumps again on Batavia. I thought everyone knew this.

I was at dinner when first got a chance to read this then made a quick response.  I just re-read it...................

SAY WHAT?

Soooooooo Kenmore and N. Buffalo get more snow than Amherst, when? 

And then Batavia gets it after a big hot air mix?

I can't remember too many (ANY) times where Batavia ever got any more snow than we did in Amherst EXCEPT this past November storm.

http://www.city-data.com/top2/c464.html

Batavia gets around 70+ inches a season.

Lol i thought i was texting that to a friend while reading this thread then i realized i posted it on here im gonna try and make it to the gun show but not sure if I'm gonna be able to have enough  time between my kids hockey practice and I'm trying to make it to the auto  show I've been to check out some trucks

• Like 2