Cmere Deer - legal?

longislandhunter

So if you use scents, food plots or calls, you should stay home erussell? Sorry, but those are all types of attractants.

C'mere deer is consumed by the deer, is not a food plot and is therefore illegal.

I guess I stand corrected, didn't mean to sound ignorant  ;) So what I meant is if you use any type of illegal attractant you should stay home. Since that is what the topic is about I though it was pretty much a given.   

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i asked the dec about the rage 3 blade and the guy i talked to said they are fine as long as they dont lock.... rage 3 blade are slip cam technology no locking device......

The Region 8 DEC guys said that the Rage 3's are illegal because they do lock and are considered "barbed" .

So if you use scents, food plots or calls, you should stay home erussell? Sorry, but those are all types of attractants.

C'mere deer is consumed by the deer, is not a food plot and is therefore illegal.

I guess I stand corrected, didn't mean to sound ignorant  :O So what I meant is if you use any type of illegal attractant you should stay home. Since that is what the topic is about I though it was pretty much a given. 

I wasnt trying to make you sound ignorant or anything like that erussell, just thought Id say it nicely before someone jumped on it lol.

the problem with c-meer deer is it supposedly stays in ground for up to a year.Which is the main reason feeding is illeagal.Concentrating the deer into one spot and possibly spreading the desease through contact or saliva.If you were to spray it on a stump they would be all licking the same stump and possibly spread CWD.

I am guilty of using it for a cover scent.I sprayed it on my boots and body.I used to carry a little 2 oz sprayer in my pouch and spray it in the air when on watch.If used in that situation i don't see how it is illegal.You aren't then baiting or feeding deer.It is the same as using apple spray or other attrractants.It is when you spray concentrated ammounts of it on the ground you are breaking the rules for feeding or baiting deer.

Nothing on the dec website states that a cover scent or attractant is illegal.

I think it depends on how you use it.

This arguement can go on for ever tho.

Its so crazy.  The issue i have always had with the DEC and the DEC website is that nothing is ever really clear.  I asked two different officers about hunting an area in my region.  One said you can and one said you cant.  I was also told that you can bait if its not hunting season and thats why the "baiting" products can be sold.  I think its two weeks before the season that you have to have the "bait out of the woods, or so I was told.  As you can see there are different stories with the legality of the Rage 3 broadheads.  The contradicting info is so crazy.  They need to get this stuff straight because in the end its the hunters who will pay the price of a fine.

Longislandhunter --- you are so right . If you ask 5 DEC guys the same question , you won't get the same answer . And not everything is in the Regs Booklet . Most will say it is illegal to feed deer even in the off season and I recall a woman in Buffalo being in the news for being arrested for feeding deer .

i know thats what i find so funny.

that its illegal in NYS to use but they still remain to sell it, IN NYS. they are luring people in to use an illegal product. i can see if the DEC stepped in to abolish stores from selling it but its clear as day on the shelf and then they want to come down on a hunter for using it. its like a catch 22 "almost". we all know we dont have to buy it but if its right there infront of you there more likely to use it...

can we buy weed or cocaine on the shelf at CVS? no, because its illegal LOL. but if you could buy it legally at a store why should the law have the right to come down on you for using it. Its all to funny to me, really... The law should nip things in the butt  at the source first! If these products are not in the stores forsale and people are using them but if they are in stores and people are using thats another thing. im not ranting or anything, i just find it comical really.

The DEC is very clear, and so is the book.

YOU CAN NOT FEED WILD LIFE YEAR ROUND.

The exception to this is a bird feeder, which must be out of range of big game.

There are some other things which are not so clear, but feeding deer is wrong and illegal.

LOL  I dont feed them ever so it really does not apply to me but i think its hysterical that you can put a bird feeder up but it must be out of range of big game.  LMAO :D  What does that mean.  What if some messy birds knock bird seed on the floor.  I guess you are getting a fine??  Just think that sounds funny.

Anyway, thanks for the clarification.

Frank

i asked the dec about the rage 3 blade and the guy i talked to said they are fine as long as they dont lock.... rage 3 blade are slip cam technology no locking device......

The Region 8 DEC guys said that the Rage 3's are illegal because they do lock and are considered "barbed" .

I would take that one to court.  Rage arent designed to be barbed nor do they lock IMO.  Compare them with a true barbed or locking BH, not the same.

that its illegal in NYS to use but they still remain to sell it, IN NYS. they are luring people in to use an illegal product. i can see if the DEC stepped in to abolish stores from selling it but its clear as day on the shelf and then they want to come down on a hunter for using it. its like a catch 22 "almost". we all know we dont have to buy it but if its right there infront of you there more likely to use it...

can we buy weed or cocaine on the shelf at CVS? no, because its illegal LOL. but if you could buy it legally at a store why should the law have the right to come down on you for using it. Its all to funny to me, really... The law should nip things in the butt  at the source first! If these products are not in the stores forsale and people are using them but if they are in stores and people are using thats another thing. im not ranting or anything, i just find it comical really.

again pretty simple not illegal to sell, illegal to use.  If you cant walk by it and leave it on the shelf, then suffer the consequences.  If no one bought it, they would not sell it.  In alot of areas in nY it is illegal to hunt deer with a rifle, but the stores still sell rifle ammo. Should they stop doing that also?

The DEC is very clear, and so is the book.

YOU CAN NOT FEED WILD LIFE YEAR ROUND.

The exception to this is a bird feeder, which must be out of range of big game.

There are some other things which are not so clear, but feeding deer is wrong and illegal.

It may be illegal, but not necessarily wrong.

again pretty simple not illegal to sell, illegal to use.  If you cant walk by it and leave it on the shelf, then suffer the consequences.  If no one bought it, they would not sell it.  In alot of areas in nY it is illegal to hunt deer with a rifle, but the stores still sell rifle ammo. Should they stop doing that also?

Bubba, I see the point that you are trying to make but thats a bad analogy.  Baiting is illegal in all of NY rifle hunting is not.  Correct me if I am wrong but crossbow hunting is illegal in NY and its also illegal to sell them here.  If what you say is true then why not sell crossbows and if you choose to buy them and use them then you suffer the consequences just like with baiting products.  I think if its illegal to feed deer here then stores shouldnt sell the product.  There is obviously a detrimental effect of baiting in the eyes of the law so why tempt people to use it.  Just stating some facts.

Correct me if I am wrong but crossbow hunting is illegal in NY and its also illegal to sell them here. 

Actually, that is incorrect. Crossbows are illegal for hunting (soon to change) but they are legal to sell, buy, own, and shoot in NYS.

Bubba, I see the point that you are trying to make but thats a bad analogy.  Baiting is illegal in all of NY rifle hunting is not.  Correct me if I am wrong but crossbow hunting is illegal in NY and its also illegal to sell them here.  If what you say is true then why not sell crossbows and if you choose to buy them and use them then you suffer the consequences just like with baiting products.  I think if its illegal to feed deer here then stores shouldnt sell the product.  There is obviously a detrimental effect of baiting in the eyes of the law so why tempt people to use it.  Just stating some facts.

anyone can ge ton any website and order it and have it shipped to the door.  A lot of peole bait with corn too. Should feed stored not be allowed to sell corn, or farm stores not sell salt blocks?  Does that analogy make you feel better? 

anyone can ge ton any website and order it and have it shipped to the door.  A lot of peole bait with corn too. Should feed stored not be allowed to sell corn, or farm stores not sell salt blocks?  Does that analogy make you feel better?

Thanks for the crossbow correction, i wasnt positive but i did think they were totally illegal to buy here in NY. With all do respect Bubba the analogy still does not make sense.  Neither does the corn feed analogy.  I will explain below.  For the record I am against baiting, even when I watch bear hunting on TV where its legal I always say i could never do that.  Cmere deer and other similiar products all serve one purpose, baiting deer and thats why i think it shouldnt be sold in a state that does not allow it.  Corn, apples and things like that all serve an alternative purpose or purpses such as feeding livestock or human consumption in the case of apples at a grocery store so making them illegal obviously makes no sense. My opinion is that they shouldnt sell the stuff here in NY.  its just an opinion and you know what they say about opinions.  We all have one and they all stink 8)

Thanks for the crossbow correction, i wasnt positive but i did think they were totally illegal to buy here in NY. With all do respect Bubba the analogy still does not make sense.  Neither does the corn feed analogy.  I will explain below.  For the record I am against baiting, even when I watch bear hunting on TV where its legal I always say i could never do that.  Cmere deer and other similiar products all serve one purpose, baiting deer and thats why i think it shouldnt be sold in a state that does not allow it.  Corn, apples and things like that all serve an alternative purpose or purpses such as feeding livestock or human consumption in the case of apples at a grocery store so making them illegal obviously makes no sense. My opinion is that they shouldnt sell the stuff here in NY.  its just an opinion and you know what they say about opinions.  We all have one and they all stink 8)

have you ever tried cmere deer soup?  it is quite tasty with onions and potatoes. 8)  I am very much against baiting also. Unfortunately not everyone feels that way.  So as I said they will use corn or whatever to bait.  Look at cabelas or any other such site.  They sell it all on there. If a person wants it bad enough, they can order it.  If I were a merchant and I knew peolel will buy, and I do it legally, oh well.  Whether it is in front of them, at the feed store, or online, if people want to break the law they will.  However if people choose not to break the law, whether it is in front of then in the feed store, or online, people will not buy it.  It is a choice. We can only protect people from themselves just so much.