Safe act confusion

I was in the LGS and an older guy that was apparently law enforcement was looking for a semi automatic rifle. He was checking out ARs and AKs and had no clue about either. My question is why is law enforcement exempt from the "assault rifle" rules when the gun is for personal use and not work related? Are they more worthy of self protection than the rest of us?

Edited by Borngeechee

It's because really it is for is taking guns out of our hands.They knew if they banned them period it wouldn't pass because the police officers wouldn't allow them to be under gunned by crooks.I say what's good for us is good for them.If they want to ban them,then do so but the military,PO and any Joe schmoe should have to comply across the board.If not feck off...FUAC

Edited by MACHINIST
  • Like 5

All part of the new Police State attitude.  You are free to do whatever the government let's you do.  Laws that make off duty agents of the state entitled to things the citizens are never entitled to, are clearly unconstitutional, and any judge who decides they're not, is clearly not defending the constitution.

post-177-0-82337600-1426426798_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mr VJP
  • Like 6

I am not sure they are exempted. But who is going to question them? All they were exempted for as far as know was the 7 bullet law. And after they were, all of us were again.

No, they are allowed to have all the "evil" features that we can but they don't have to register it and they can still buy ARs and AKs in their regular configuration, we cant.

All active duty police officers in NY State are exempt from the SAFE Act regulations, even if they are Federal officers.  Firearms they buy while on active duty for their own use, which is not defined as being different from personal or official use, as all active duty police are considered to be on duty all the time, are exempt from any SAFE Act regulations.

When they retire, if they had at least 10 years of active service and retired in good standing, an amendment to the law allows them an exemption for life, as long as they register the weapon and magazines they owned while on duty.  Once retired they cannot buy any new ones, but can keep any they owned while active.

From a daily News article in 2014

"Retired cops no longer have to worry about getting rid of any high capacity magazines or assault weapons they acquired while working on the force.

Gov. Cuomo, as expected, has signed legislation granting retried law enforcement officers in New York an exemption from the state’s new gun control law, his office confirmed Monday. The exemption for retired cops was approved by the Assembly in May and adopted by the Senate in June during the final week of the Legislature’s session.

Cuomo, during a news conference last week, had signaled his support for the measure.

“It was our amendment,” Cuomo said at the time. “They are retired law enforcement officers. They have different training, they have different experience. They are different.”

The gun law – known as the SAFE Act - was adopted by the Legislature in early January. Among other things, it expanded the state’s ban on assault weapons and set a seven-bullet limit on the number of rounds New Yorkers could load into a magazine.

Gun-rights advocates, who have blasted the law as an infringement on their Second Amendment rights, opposed the new exemption, saying it would create a separate class of citizens in New York.

“We feel because of our background checks and the training that most of us have in pistol craft, we should be afforded the same privileges as retired police officers,” said Thomas King of the New York State Rifle and Pistol Association, which has filed a federal lawsuit against the SAFE Act."

• Like 1

Gee, don't the military have more training than the Police.  By Cuomo's logic if it extended to miliatary personnel, someone that uses a SAW on active duty therefore should be able to own one for personal use and keep it after retiring from Acive Duty Military service.

Miltilary personal have to take the same pistol classes and register their pistols and anything the Safe Act made illegal by how it looks like the rest of us.  What about someone that was not a Police field officer, mainly had desk duty and very little range time - they are exempt by association, not actual skill.

We know Police officers (or retired ones) never have a mental break down, kill their kids and then commit suicide - like what what happen a fews ago in Westchester county.

They should have to go through the same process we do.

Police officers are supposed to be well trained.  So, why do they need more than 3 shots for a personally owned gun let alone 7.  They should not be exempt on personal firearms.

They should not be exempt on personal firearms.

some departments don't issue weapons to their Officers, it's up to the Officer to buy his service weapon and other equipment, thus making it his or her personal weapon....then what?

Edited by jjb4900

that law was pushed through so quickly and with so little rationale thinking that I'm willing to bet that it was just an oversight....had it been well thought out beforehand the exemption would have been written it right off the bat...........and haven't there always been exemptions of some sort for law enforcement for many many years? pretty sure they were exempt from the first attack on high capacity magazines (1994?), haven't they always been able to carry unrestricted anywhere in NYS either on or off duty, aren't they issued full carry permits upon retirement?.................why the sudden outrage for something that is not entirely new?

They also constantly run the red lights here in the city which I never understood. If you're responding to a call, ok. But if you're just patrolling, you schedule is based on time, not distance. What's the rush? Not like your shift ends quicker if you make your rounds early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

And have seen them with no seatbelt, no headlights while raining, no turn signals and other infractions that I would be pulled over for and ticketed.

I have family members in law enforcement so I'm not anti cop. I am anti double standard though.

They also constantly run the red lights here in the city which I never understood. If you're responding to a call, ok. But if you're just patrolling, you schedule is based on time, not distance. What's the rush? Not like your shift ends quicker if you make your rounds early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

how do you know what they're doing or where they're going when they go through the lights?......are they required to have their lights and sirens on when responding to all calls?

• Like 1

Being in law enforcement automatically conveys certain privileges to the badge-holder, just like being in politics conveys certain privileges to the office-holder. It's an entirely different set of rules from what the citizens are expected to live by, and it's been going on for centuries.

The guys who wrote the US Constitution and founded this country changed that, but somehow it's coming back.