Let's get some opinons (deer eradication)

Caveman

I would like to hear how anyone knows for sure that 80 deer where taken and how big the property is. I find it amazing that it held 80 deer that would stay there until the last one was shot. Must be some incredibly stupid deer - any I have ever seen would go nocturnal and/or vacate the area if that kind of pressure happened.

agree, plus it would have to be a LARGE apple farm with LOTS of cover around it that doesn't get hunted to hold that many deer. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i mean i can see those who border that proprty being alittle pissed. i mean face it, if it was you and your proprty bordered it and you passed up some smaller deer and tried to give yourself a chance at a decent buck one day and then you here your neighboring proprty let every tom dick and harry in there to hunt and took out ALOT of deer, im sure you would have something to say about that. Obvisouly you can not control that situtation but im sure majority of us would have something to say and it might not be positive. I mean im sure this happens often its just a question of how close to home it hit and picture an event unravel right near the proprty you hunt. that can make for a crappy season for you, especially if that guy put alot of time in only to have deer being thinned out left and right, right near your proprty. that would be my only problem. But what can you do, its the land owners decision...

I'm a little confused..... Does this farmer/landowner have some huge fence around his property that keeps the deer from exiting as soon as this huge army of hunter invitees crowd into there? My experience with that kind of sudden massive pressure is that the deer temporarily move on out ...... something that should make the surrounding hunters on neighboring lands real happy. What am I missing here? I guess I don't really buy the "deer are eradicated" story.

Neighbors claim.....  Problem with that is 'claim' usually isn't a factual gauge.  Hard to believe 60-80 deer taken in about 8 weeks and there are zero deer.  Either way, the farmer has a right to defend his land against intruders trying to rob him of his livliehood, whether they be on four feet or two.  Did these pi$$ed off neighbors help him harvest, maintain, sell, etc... his apples, have they helped with his taxes in the past.  If not, they it's hard to see how the have a right to complain about the orchard owner defending his private property and his business.

Neighbors claim.....  Problem with that is 'claim' usually isn't a factual gauge.  Hard to believe 60-80 deer taken in about 8 weeks and there are zero deer.  Either way, the farmer has a right to defend his land against intruders trying to rob him of his livliehood, whether they be on four feet or two.  Did these pi$$ed off neighbors help him harvest, maintain, sell, etc... his apples, have they helped with his taxes in the past.  If not, they it's hard to see how the have a right to complain about the orchard owner defending his private property and his business.

maybe you should read what i originally posted again... Alls i said is i for one would be pissed if i was bordering his property and they started slamming anything that walked past them on that farm. From what im getting from you you wouldnt have anything to say if that was your neighbor but if it was mine i know what i would be thinking, it doesn't necessarily mean i would confront him about his decision because like i stated in my last post It is the land owners decision ultimatly so i would not say antyhing to him. but i would be bummed knowing right next store to me they are slamming anything that moves. Now, weather you agree or disagree with what i am saying i dont care. i am stating how i would feel if i was a bordering property. But in a case like this even if i was his neighbor, my feelings on it would be totally irrelevant becasue that farmer can do whatever he wants... to say there are NO deer left on that property i find it hard to believe, JMO...

I hunt a 700 acre farm. Over the course of the entire gun season we took a total of 25 deer. On the last day of the season I was the only one to get one. There were very few tracks and of the 5 guys we had there that day we only saw 6 deer total. I find it very hard to believe that 60 deer were taken unless this is about a 2000 acre farm and there were about 40 hunters. The deer just vacate the property with that much pressure.

and PS: who knows if there is any neighboring properties, i was just tossing out a scenario...  :P

You may want to go back and read the original post where it states the surronding neighbors hunt etc.... 

PS you really think this orchard is on a island?  If it isn't on island then it has neighbors.  just saying ;)

So what are your opinions? Should they be allowed to do this in defense of landowner's rights and free enterprise?  Or should the DEC step in and limit how many deer can be taken off a private property in during a season?

Legally they're allowed to do it but that doesn't mean that I personally care for it.  The DEC really doesn't care if all the deer were killed on that property.  The deer herd has taken a serious blow due to the DEC's mismanagement of the herd. IMO

The deer numbers in my area are at an all time low and I mostly blame the DEC and their DMP allotments.  I know that there are other factors such as enviromental and predatorial but the number of does killed by hunters is more to blame.  I can remember some years back readint that our herd was estimated to be around 750,000 strong and that season the DEC issued 1.1 milliom DMP's.  The numbers just don't make sense.

I know that not all hunters are successful at filling their tags and they were playing the odds...but it sure sounds like a case of the DEC wanting the deer eradicated!!  >:P

Geno,  maybe you should read my post again AND the original post that started this thread and you will the words ...neighbors claim.... sorry bud my response to was to the initial post not yours.

dont have time to read everyones post... thought you were responding to mine. no harm no foul  :P

My opinion is deer can only eat apples while apples are available.  If I had bordering land, I would be planting something that brought the deer to my house. Or I would quit griping about the guy who had all the deer, and get on his good side and hunt there.  Sounds like sour apples to me.(pun intended)  I was able to hunt on a large farm this fall.  My nephew works there.  They have well over 15 thousand acres scattered around. They had 800 acres of corn and 300 acres of alfalfa destroyed by deer.  They got 10 nuisance permits for all the property.  They opened up some of the areas to people that work for them.  Basically each amployee got a piece to themselves to hunt.  My nephew had about 150 acres and 1 permit.  The evening I went there with my dmp, I saw in one sitting 37 deer in the alfalfa.  I chose a nice doe and took her. My nephew filled a ml tag his buck tag and one nuisance permit plus the one I got.  That was all that was taken off that 150 acres.  That did not even make a dent. I am guessing in my opinion the nieghbors have no clue how to hunt or they are mad they were not invited.  If I own a piece of property such as I do, (400 plus acres) I should be allowed to have anyone in I choose and if I choose to wipe out a bunch of deer legally, that is my choice.  No one elses business as long as the deer are on my property, and can freely choose to leave.  Simple as that.

My opinion is deer can only eat apples while apples are available.  If I had bordering land, I would be planting something that brought the deer to my house. Or I would quit griping about the guy who had all the deer, and get on his good side and hunt there.  Sounds like sour apples to me.(pun intended)  I was able to hunt on a large farm this fall.  My nephew works there.  They have well over 15 thousand acres scattered around. They had 800 acres of corn and 300 acres of alfalfa destroyed by deer.  They got 10 nuisance permits for all the property.  They opened up some of the areas to people that work for them.  Basically each amployee got a piece to themselves to hunt.  My nephew had about 150 acres and 1 permit.  The evening I went there with my dmp, I saw in one sitting 37 deer in the alfalfa.  I chose a nice doe and took her. My nephew filled a ml tag his buck tag and one nuisance permit plus the one I got.  That was all that was taken off that 150 acres.  That did not even make a dent. I am guessing in my opinion the nieghbors have no clue how to hunt or they are mad they were not invited.  If I own a piece of property such as I do, (400 plus acres) I should be allowed to have anyone in I choose and if I choose to wipe out a bunch of deer legally, that is my choice.  No one elses business as long as the deer are on my property, and can freely choose to leave.  Simple as that.

To be honest Bubba....when I read your first sentence I thought you were going to say cut down their apple trees...lol :O

So what are your opinions? Should they be allowed to do this in defense of landowner's rights and free enterprise?  Or should the DEC step in and limit how many deer can be taken off a private property in during a season?

Legally they're allowed to do it but that doesn't mean that I personally care for it.  The DEC really doesn't care if all the deer were killed on that property.  The deer herd has taken a serious blow due to the DEC's mismanagement of the herd. IMO

The deer numbers in my area are at an all time low and I mostly blame the DEC and their DMP allotments.  I know that there are other factors such as enviromental and predatorial but the number of does killed by hunters is more to blame.  I can remember some years back readint that our herd was estimated to be around 750,000 strong and that season the DEC issued 1.1 milliom DMP's.  The numbers just don't make sense.

I know that not all hunters are successful at filling their tags and they were playing the odds...but it sure sounds like a case of the DEC wanting the deer eradicated!!  >:)

What kind of sense would it make for the DEC to eradicate deer? Deer hunting is a pretty large chunk of their income, and eradicating the deer would end up with no deer hunting and thus, they would take a huge hit in income. Makes no sense at all. While I dont necessarily agree with everything the DEC is doing, and has done, you do realize that we are on the down slope of the DEC's plan to cut down on an over population of deer? Some areas are still over populated. So many guys are just spoiled by the huge herds that were around, and the land could not sustain them. There were record numbers of car accidents with deer and many other issues caused by them.

BTW, according to the DEC website, the largest number of DMPs issued was in 2002 and the number was 770,992. Not sure where your numbers are coming from.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/47743.html

Thanks for the info WNY.

The DEC's practices in managing the deer herd are very questionable.  They have traditionally given out large numbers of DMP's to control the herd and now they've done a complete reversal by issuing lower numbers in areas that have been hit hard with substantially lower deer numbers.  They really need to listen more to hunters on our observations in the field.