Shorten the NY Gun Season?

sherlockgael

Should the NY Regular Gun Deer Season be shortened?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Should the NY Regular Gun Deer Season be shortened?

• Yes-1 week
    • Yes-2 weeks
    • Yes-Staggered 1 week Nov 1 week Dec
    • No-Leave it as is

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is NYers look at deer hunting like a family of 15 looks at a medium sized pizza...if the damn state did something to manage the herd, or our hunting, we would all have a tendency to feel as if we had an equal sized piece.

we have a short season (overall), the opening week of gun is a damn surge of intrusion on the woods foolowed by 2-3 weeks more of people hunting outside of their knowledge and abilities and oyu have to be 14 before you can even hunt here, they dont know the population and have no idea how to manage sea monkeys let alone a big game species......

The season needs to be hortened severly. It is not about how many orange clad folks can smile holding a Genny in one hand and a 5 pt in the other...hunting is more important form managing a game animals population than recreation.

Why is land access hard? Because most hunters are slobs. I am embarassed of this fraternity in wNY. Check out your brethern the day before gun openers buying loads of beer or better yet having a scope bore sighted at Gander. Yes, there are archery dumb dumbs buing a bow the day before season...but theyre almost always a gunhunter in the process of growing up......

Happy New Year

The reality is i called you on your bullshit and you dont like it.

good job on your 8pt I droped a slamming 10pt, better luck next year fella

The funny part is your response here proved my point about competition.  You had to out do me in the competition.  But you keep saying it isnt a competition. Maybe soon, you will even believe it.

I did'nt out do you, you just did'nt follow your own advice, with ALL the deer you see and pass up.

I just did my homework, and my deer is posted in Bow Hunting, you just have to look for it like i looked

fot this 8pt you said you got, funny, i cant seem to find it.

here is a link genius right in the hunting related pics as I said took me oh 30 seconds

http://huntingny.com/forums/index.php/topic,2911.0.html

never even thought to look there, should of posted it in the bow hunting or hunting stories and pictures

and mine

http://huntingny.com/forums/index.php/topic,2103.0.html

The problem is NYers look at deer hunting like a family of 15 looks at a medium sized pizza...if the damn state did something to manage the herd, or our hunting, we would all have a tendency to feel as if we had an equal sized piece.

we have a short season (overall), the opening week of gun is a damn surge of intrusion on the woods foolowed by 2-3 weeks more of people hunting outside of their knowledge and abilities and oyu have to be 14 before you can even hunt here, they dont know the population and have no idea how to manage sea monkeys let alone a big game species......

The season needs to be hortened severly. It is not about how many orange clad folks can smile holding a Genny in one hand and a 5 pt in the other...hunting is more important form managing a game animals population than recreation.

Why is land access hard? Because most hunters are slobs. I am embarassed of this fraternity in wNY. Check out your brethern the day before gun openers buying loads of beer or better yet having a scope bore sighted at Gander. Yes, there are archery dumb dumbs buing a bow the day before season...but theyre almost always a gunhunter in the process of growing up......

Happy New Year

now that you have pointed out all the horrible red neckers, what is your solution other than not letting anyone but you hunt?

I say just let ppl hunt there own way.  NOT your way or my way.

hunting is different for everyone, not telling others that they have to many or to less tags.

or how others feel when hunting, when im in the field no one knows how i feel but me.

Im tired of hearing what we need, what to do, how to do, and the need to change, bla bla bla.

the main reason for hunting is to thin out the deer population. thats all, and if ppl want to

pass on deer until they are older then they dont have to take a young deer, but dont shove

it on everyone else. I mysrlf have passed on deer, but thats by choice not some order.

I have hit 4 deer in 5 years with my truck and it cost me $$, so if joe smoe wants to take a button buck let him.

its his right to not a privilege. hunting is a right. just like the right to bear arms, not the

privilege to bear arms. its legal to kill what you have a tag for regardless of age or size.

well i said what i wanted to say on this, so, have a great 2011 hunting season.

hey that was exzctly what I was saying. I was not telling anyone how to hunt, I was simply saying relax and enjoy it. I was simply saying if you had less tags to fill, you might feel less pressure to hunt so much and try to fill them.  Just my opinion.  I was also saying if I choose to pass on a deer, it should be by my choice not a choice made by some committee if fools.  Happy New year.

Happy New Year

Lol ..... Don't you just love it when someone comes on a hunting forum and just spends all their time continuously dumping on hunters. Heck, if I wanted to see that sort of thing I would go to one of the animal rights forums.

Hey- the troll is back

Didnt know we could flame a member on spelling- i guess my action show you that your topic didnt warrant much effort (through my laziness)

I typically find myself peeing on the parade of orange clad geniuses here because somoen needs ot remind you that your little club house is not how the outside world feels

Most (not all, so save your hate mail) NY gun hunters are lead flinging dingbats. Seasons are about more than YOUR recreation. If we had a competant wildlife management organization they would care about that...but they (like most NYS entities) are solely about $$$$

Farthest thing from an antihunter or animal rights activist. I have been an active member of all of the nY hunting boards, including the multiple phases of this one.....just want to remind the chit talkers most dont agree with them. And yes, boys and girls, most gun hunters are lazy.....and you are nothing less than spoiled in this state

The gun season should be shortened- perhaps 1 week of shotgun/rifle/cross bow...then another 5-7 days of a ml/bow/crosssbow.

The orientation of the season could use some revamping too- the "gun" seasons (inc ml; southern zone) run continuous...there should be a break in there imo. 5 or 10 yrs ago hardly anyone used an ml, now most do and hunt that season.

Again- it should be about deer, not deer hunters. I would bow out of this discussion if the state could say we need this gun season set at this time and for this length......but the likely nature of that is about as good as posting a opposing opinion on here and having someone not trying to make it a personal attack.  ::)

Why shorten it?? The state should  look into splitting the gun and bow into several seasons. Start bow oct 1st run for 2 weeks, then close it for 2 weeks run it for a week and close it again, same for gun run a 10 day 1st season close it for a week and re open it for 5 or 7 days. The majority of deer are taken in the opening 2 days of hte season, you want to manage numbers effeciently several opening days with "cool down" periods in between. are very effective as you keep getting a chance at undisturbed deer. Look at a lot of the big buck states. iowa even has late seasons after the holidays. Hate to  say it but if you hunt in a big buck area (canada,mid west) you don't see huge numbers of deer..but you stand a chance of seeing quality when you do!

well small game hunters must be really bad then the way we fire guns until the end of febuary. i don't see a need to shorten it maybe split it up some but not shorten. have lived in states where "deer season" ran most of the year august till march to be exact different closed blocks weapon limits ect.

Deer have been coping with that kind of stress for many many years... not having enough to eat is a far bigger problem.

Well, the male variety usually doesn't have to cope with any stress for many years at all, usually not more than a yr or so. :)

Deer have been coping with that kind of stress for many many years... not having enough to eat is a far bigger problem.

Well, the male variety usually doesn't have to cope with any stress for many years at all, usually not more than a yr or so. :)

I stand corrected :D  That was funny