The Chevy vs Ford of gun discussions

I know it's on the forum somewhere but I couldn't find it. If you had to pick one gun who's only purpose was to be a survival gun, what would it be?

Would it be a shotgun repeater or single shot?... or

Would it be a 22 repeater or single shot?

Define "survival". Long term and on the move? Just need to hold out at home for a few days? The reason the 22LR gets so much love in a bug out situation is because you can fit 50+ rounds in the palm of your hands so carrying several hundred rounds in your backpack won't slow you down yet powerful enough to take small to medium size game up to deer. Weight and size is a major factor when backpacking. In this survival scenario, you're not really going to be hunting buffalo since there is no where for you to store/carry all that meat anyway. Most abundant game is small game and large caliber a will destroy too much meat on a squirrel.

Against 2 legged predators, you wouldn't be looking for a fire fight so you would utilize stealth when over 100+ yards. When confronted, you're most likely under a 100 yards so the 22LR isn't ideal but it also isn't useless when you have a 50 round mag attached.

That's my reasoning for the 22LR repeater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Elmo
  • Like 2

i'd have to say a 22LR repeater but lever or pump versus semi-auto.  22LR repeater would still keep people at bay but give you lots of ammo.  you could carry 1,500 rounds with much issue in a pack.  won't fend off a bear other than the noise.  could definitely kill big game with it if you got within bow range and made a head shot.  also good on lots of small game.  also the sound won't carry as much.

I think something like a 10/22 takedown or a papoose would be ideal. Small and both are fairly light. Like Elmo said you can have 100 rounds in your pocket without any real weight. A single shot 12ga is super versatile though.

22LR has less stopping power but more range than shotshell.  like you also said 100 rounds of 22LR could be in your pocket.  100 rounds of 12ga is heavy and would weight a pack down a bit.

I guess  it would depend on the survival situation.  Are we talking about some type of zombie apocalypse survival?  Or you will be stranded in the woods for a month survival?  Let's say you meant the stranded in the woods survival.   I would have to say a .22 Mag would be my choice.  A bit more power than the .22 LR, more accurate over 100 yards for those long shots, bullets are still small enough that you can carry a few hundred rounds and not be agonizing about it.  Big enough to kill a deer but small enough that it won't completely destroy your squirrel for dinner.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All depends......  Most likely not though.....

If I am very rural, I don't need to worry about 2 legged critters.   Regardless of caliber, people will duck no matter what you throw downrange.

However, If I am very rural in NY, small or even big game is real tough to come by.  Here in NY, steady food is fish.   Indians proved that for thousands of years.  Today is no different.  Line and hook will keep you fed better, easier, more conspicuously, and is non time intensive.  Set your lines and do something else, come back, reel them in.

IF given anything, a capable medium range rifle capable enough for deer hunting.  Preferably a repeater that quick to reload.

Given the choices, I'd lean towards the 12 gauge.  I got a 20ga 870 that will shoot 4" groups at 100 with cheap clip on rifle sights and most 5/8oz slugs.  A sloppier shotgun with unproven slugs would be good for minute of mayhem at 75 yards.  Most places public or wooded  is too thick cover wise to get closer or farther than 75 yards anyways.  A few slugs and I'd be good to go.  12ga would be eaiser to find ammo for than most any rifle caliber, since shotguns are almost all 12ga anyways, versus a half dozen rimfires and maybe a dozen common centerfire rounds out here in NY land.