Promoting nature amongst minorities

Elmo

http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2015/07/12/421533481/outdoor-afro-busting-stereotypes-that-blacks-dont-hike-or-camp?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20150712

It's not just blacks but an inner city issue which also includes Hispanics and some Asians as well. Many within the inner city never thought much about nature and outdoors sports because they don't know that they have access to such only a short drive/ride away. My last hike in Mt Taurus, I made a point to get there via Metro North rather than driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

What a wonderful idea! It's easy to take nature and the outdoors for granted when it's right outside your door. Being able to organize trips to Mother Natures wonders for people, who would not get the chance very often or at all, opens a whole new world to them. 

This is isn't about race. Another well meaning but divisive strategy to set black folk apart as 'different' somehow.

The reality is that plenty of poor white city folk (and other races) also have no 'awareness' of the great outdoors. It's about money and the ability to engage in these activities. If you don't have a car, and most poor inner city folk don't, outdoor activities are not on the radar for some very practical reasons. Poor folk also don't seem to make the distinction between recreational time versus work time. If you don't or can't work, it's all the same. Recreational time does not have the same connotation if you are unemployed or under employed.

Geography also plays a factor. Poor folk in the country are surrounded by the outdoors and engage with it more. Again, making this a black issue is just adding to the never ending cycle of creating race issues where none exist.

Edited by Papist
  • Like 1

Isn't this what the DEC's relatively new "Environmental Justice" department is all about?

Bring environmental awareness and outdoor activities to inner city children.

No.

Environmental justice is not a DEC concept either, it is bigger than NY, It refers to low income areas that are polluted, In the past, some low income areas did not receive clean up efforts, law enforcement , and basically industry just dumped on these residents. 

No.

Environmental justice is not a DEC concept either, it is bigger than NY, It refers to low income areas that are polluted, In the past, some low income areas did not receive clean up efforts, law enforcement , and basically industry just dumped on these residents. 

Thanks, I just looked it up, we do have a Department of Environmental Justice, it deals with giving inner city people a say in permitting processes that affect their environment.

The site in within the DEC site:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/public/333.html

This is isn't about race. Another well meaning but divisive strategy to set black folk apart as 'different' somehow.

The reality is that plenty of poor white city folk (and other races) also have no 'awareness' of the great outdoors. It's about money and the ability to engage in these activities. If you don't have a car, and most poor inner city folk don't, outdoor activities are not on the radar for some very practical reasons. Poor folk also don't seem to make the distinction between recreational time versus work time. If you don't or can't work, it's all the same. Recreational time does not have the same connotation if you are unemployed or under employed.

Geography also plays a factor. Poor folk in the country are surrounded by the outdoors and engage with it more. Again, making this a black issue is just adding to the never ending cycle of creating race issues where none exist.

Who said anything about race?

Most the retired people in Delaware county are white guys from Queens.

As I have mentioned before I grew up in Red Hook Brooklyn. I use to take the Short Line bus to Upper Greenwood Lake with my backpack to hike AT. eventually I covered all the AT within public transportation range from Conn. to Pa. My love of the outdoors came about because of my Dad and his frequent mushroom gathering outings and the Boy Scouts Troop 265. Inner city kids often have no idea of what real wilderness is and therefore no respect or desire to care for it. Stewardship of the land begins with knowing the land and all its many wonders.

There are a lot of people who grew up in the inner cities that never developed a love for nature because they never had the dad or uncle or what not who took them out.  Even now after they've gotten older and now have a means of income, they still aren't aware of what is available to them only a short train/bus ride or drive away.  Some times all it takes is some one to just show them what they're missing.  The more people who would support conservation of our national parks the better.  Let's forget the whole black and white issue here.  At least this person is doing something to promote a love for nature.  I always said that when we're trying to promote hunting or nature, people in the inner city is a large group of untapped potential.

Edited by Elmo
  • Like 4

I remember when I was 15 my dad came home with a Coleman white gas stove, a big one. When I saw it that Friday I said to my sister "A camping stove we must be going camping!" Up until then i had only been camping with the Scouts. The next morning me, my sister and my mom piled into the family car, a powder blue Nova, and drove to New Jersey and picked tomatoes all day. I still remember driving home with them crammed into every possible part of the car. That Sunday all my moms sisters came over and we must have canned 200 jars of tomatoes!

Dad worked two jobs longshoreman and at a fruit and vegetable vendor, Mom cleaned the offices of the New York Insurance company, when we did venture into the wilds of any kind it was often to gather food, It was a connection to the old country.

Even such a small exposure made me curious about the woods and shores.

• Like 1

At least this person is doing something to promote a love for nature. 

Yeah, but only for one racial group. How is that supposed to bridge the racial divide we keep hearing about?

The article posted isn't about a love of nature. It's about showing whitey that Black people can do it too, by themselves, in segregated groups.

Mapp set out to change that. Outdoor Afro uses social media and volunteers to organize outdoor recreational activities — like camping, hiking, birding, biking and skiing — for African-Americans 

What would Morgan Freeman say?

Edited by Papist

Jaeger asked specifically about environmental justice, which as explained is different. However, the USFWS and state wildlife agencies in every state, including the NY DEC, are indeed reaching out to the larger public in regards to outdoor recreation. 

A couple of non-government organizations have formed as well. The African American Hunting Association and HECHO. Possibly more. And as a few people stated, the obstacle to outdoor opportunity isn't restricted to non-whites. It probably isn't even restricted to urban / suburban people either. Many factors involved. 

Edited by mike rossi

Interesting timing, because the AAHA was advocating for hunter ed in urban Portland, and got it. Now they are providing transportation. This is the kind of resolve it takes to get things done.... Just got this now: 

African American Hunting Association

2 hrs ·
Good News! The Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlfe (ODFW) has scheduled a traditional hunter education class in Portland. It will be held August 5th - 8th at the Portland Gun Club. You must sign up on line. Only 18 of 20 slots are left even though it was just posted. Anyone interested in helping me provide transportation to youth or new hunters from North/Northeast to this location on S.E. 174th, please message me or email me at [email protected]. Here is the link to ODFW https://or.outdoorcentral.us/or/License/Classes

You gotta admit singling out "minorities" in this program does have a certain "WTF" objection about it.

How about just making it a promotion of nature amongst "urbanites"?  All people should be included.  Doesn't discrimination work both ways?  Isn't preferential treatment a bad thing in all respects?

This is not a joke comment either.  I still love to hear stories from my BIL about his first excursions into the woods as a child growing up in Brooklyn.  He was amazed the first time he saw a stream!  Now he loves the outdoors more than many who claim to be outdoorsmen.

• Like 1

A few years back a friend of mine knew I love the outdoors so he invited me to join his church youth group on a overnight hiking/camping trip. We parked at a trail head in the catskills and the plan was to hike about 4 miles to the camping spot, camp overnight and head back.

The youths were ages 8-16 or so and all from the queens/brooklyn boro. It was the first time for many of them have been in the woods. it was quite interesting to hear their comments about fear of bugs or bears and getting lost or killed by wandering criminals in the woods lol.

Most shocking experience was how many of them, when told to bring food for the hike, actually brought food in cans. I dont know how they expected to cook the food, but i felt bad for some of them having to hike 4 miles, mostly uphill with about 16 lbs of canned beans and corn, lol.

overall the experience was great for them, especially sitting around the campfire at night.

Edited by vincy
  • Like 2

I've had the pleasure of hosting many NYC youth in the Catskills for awhile.  Often when asked what they fear the most about the region, they will answer, "The Dark!"

They fear things like bear, coyote, fox, porcupine, snakes, etc., but feel they can run from them or fight them with rocks.  The dark is something they have no clue how to deal with.  LOL!

• Like 1

I really wanted to leave this alone but..Here goes...I put a book in my pants to help ease the pain from the boots about to hit my a$$.

"Inner city youths" and minorities is an odd way to still keep putting it these days. in my area, which is considered low income or "slum" if you like, white people of any age are out numbered about 6:1 by all other ethnicities. But, I don't think that matters anymore.

It comes down to prying kids away from the cell phone, Face Book, game consoles, and flat out having no interest in anything not associated with technology. Sleeping in a tent and waking up to a great view of a lake isn't something many kids want to take part in. 

I am not saying all, but most kids brought up in a city or even rural environment have no interest being in the woods any more. I also hate to say this as well, but most parents are either too busy or just don't care about the outdoors them selves.

We live in a time where even adults can't be anywhere without a cell phone connected to the web. So you expect kids to be any different?

Some of these programs work to a small extent. But most don't.

NOTE! This is just my personal point of view! Not intended to troll, font war, disrespect, or otherwise create chaos.

• Like 2

BS, its not the race thing but a mind set. I lived in Brooklyn for a loooong time, nothing stopped me from venturing into Westchester, canoeing or hiking.... just saying.. 

Edited by bkln