Get your vaseline ready NY! Its here...

phade

Now if this brings out the truth and antlers really do matter and is in fact the real reason most get out of bed, which i think is more the case, thats a different story.  Most hunters lay their head down at night and wake at 4 in the morning with the dream of the biggest twisted racked buck in the woods walks by their stand that morning. Yes many will accept smaller if it happens by but the bone rules in hunting if anyone ever got down to the real truth of the matter.  Now thats been removed and that is what pisses people off. Just as Ar pissed of people because that took away their choice of taking a..Smaller One..if that twisted monster they dream about does not happen by.  People do not like things taken away from them.

BS in CAPITAL letters!

• Like 1

People do not like things taken away from them.

I think this is more of the problem. And personally I wouldn't mind it as much if it was presented and adequate opportunity was given to debate it. Hell, I don't even remember this being a considered option in their very expensive hunter poll. If I believed for a minute that this would actually work I could swallow it easier but I can't see a scenario where this achieves the desired results.

• Like 1

No the point being driven is if antlers mater none to them before then not being able to shoot a buck should not dig to deep. As far as doe tags i believe a person can get what like 6 a year or something. Plus muzzy and bow.  I know in 8H i can get a fist full. More than 1 family would ever eat unless they eat the stuff 7 days a week.

Go to the Catskill or Adirondack regions and see how many tags you will get.  And don't forget the majority of hunters are NOT bowhunters, so the gun hunters get squat.   And in the Catskill region they were also handed antler restrictions on top of everything else.  You need to look at things from other perspectives not only your own in LALA land.

No the point being driven is if antlers mater none to them before then not being able to shoot a buck should not dig to deep. As far as doe tags i believe a person can get what like 6 a year or something. Plus muzzy and bow.  I know in 8H i can get a fist full. More than 1 family would ever eat unless they eat the stuff 7 days a week.

in 8H you could  get two on regular draw, two on late left overs (they never give them all out) and two signed over. Then the either sex if you buy your first special privilege and an antlerless only with your second special privilege. Then your regular season tag could have been used as either sex in late season.

There’s only a few things we can do you can like some have suggest shoot a buck anyways and be a poacher.

open question. By definition shooting an animal out of season is considered poaching. Would you all consider it just as bad as shooting a buck in velvet or spotlighting?

Lets take the 2 sign overs out of the equation for not everyone buys the wifes..grandparents...kids licenses to get sign overs  and not every other hunter will say here are my doe tags...you can actually get 2 then later on Nov 1 get two more.

Two doe tags.... which many times are split between areas.... but say they aren't.  2 doe tags for the first two weeks of bow is nothing..now figure in wanting to save one for gun  season..See that's the thing...not all gun hunters bow hunt.... but most bow hunters gun hunt.

Edited by growalot

BS in CAPITAL letters!

Riiiiiiiiight! Pretty simple really.  This will never help the problem and that does not shock me. Anything the DEC does i am not shocked.

One of my properties are involved in the ruling, I will still spend some time in the stand in that area, wont shoot any does but will see whats around on the property. Does will come close to home where there is no work involved. Bang, in the bucket to the barn it goes and hanging..Work Free.

open question. By definition shooting an animal out of season is considered poaching. Would you all consider it just as bad as shooting a buck in velvet or spotlighting?

So shooting a buck during a doe only  bow season wouldn't be poaching?  How about shooting a doe during gun season if you didn't have a doe tag?  I don't see any difference myself.

If you even think about giving up hunting because of this, and are not willing to improvise, adapt, and overcome, maybe you aren't really a hunter at heart. 

I didn't hear anyone say they were quitting. Just spending less time in the woods. Therefore less chances to harvest deer... and the regulation change totally backfiring on the DEC.

• Like 2

yep, I think many underestimate the amount of casual hunters out there who really don't need that big of a push to just say screw it and not bother going. I know a few older guys who retired and moved out of state, but each year made the trek back home to deer hunt..........they threw in the towel after they implemented ar's and zero chance of doe tags for non residents...............I know many may say they could have looked for new areas and maybe they weren't real hunters, but at 70 plus years of age, that really wasn't possible or the case.

being 70 or any age for that matter and trying to find new land and stands when you live out of state is really only for the super dedicated and the guy with money and time.

Point is, they're pushing away the guys who grew up hunting the neighbors farm with his brothers. It's bad enough 2 of the 3 farms are now subdivisions, but now he's handcuffed on what and when and how he goes hunting. A few hours more in bed on a cold morning sounds pretty good.

I'd like to add the most buck activity I ever saw was during MZ one day about 5 years ago. It was a fresh snow and a tough season deer sighting wise. So it could have been a late doe in heat but the amount of bucks I saw that day was something I'll probably never see again.

Are they still only giving one doe and one either sex tag out. Or are they giving us more doe tags

As far as I know, all of these zones pretty much hand DMPs out like candy. Im in 8H and I get 4 every year. Not sure what you mean about just getting 1, you apply for 2 DMPs when you get your license and another 2 if they have them left on Nov 1.

Go to the Catskill or Adirondack regions and see how many tags you will get.  And don't forget the majority of hunters are NOT bowhunters, so the gun hunters get squat.   And in the Catskill region they were also handed antler restrictions on top of everything else.  You need to look at things from other perspectives not only your own in LALA land.

Thats just it buddy..I wont sit around, if something dont work i will change it. This ruling does nothing to change gun hunting that i can see and if the bow rule is in effect in those areas there must be plenty of does. At least the DEC thinks so anyways.

I'd really like someone to name these people who are supposedly crying over not being able to kill a buck?  Most of the people who might be complaining have made it no secret that killing a big buck is what drives them in hunting.  Who are the rest of the complainers here?  I didn't see any.  Getting some meat is what drives me, and this new law has ZERO effect on me since I've never hunted in that area.  My complaint would be that this law will do absolutely little to nothing to bring down the doe population since bowhunters kill very few deer.  Not being able to kill a buck would get NO complaints from me if someone handed me a handful of doe tags instead.  Some here are desperately attempting to get their lame point across that the biggest motivation for ALL hunters is to collect antlers which is BS.  You guys have completely FAILED in trying to convince anyone that this is true.

that statement is just as bad as a guy who only has a few shotguns not worried about the safe act. It's a step towards affecting you. Just because you're a meat hunter only means you don't care that this does impact a lot of other hunters? You don't have our back just because it doesn't directly affect you?

Posted Today, 07:36 AM

monkeyman2269, on 06 Aug 2015 - 08:10 AM, said:snapback.png

Are they still only giving one doe and one either sex tag out. Or are they giving us more doe tags

As far as I know, all of these zones pretty much hand DMPs out like candy. Im in 8H and I get 4 every year. Not sure what you mean about just getting 1, you apply for 2 DMPs when you get your license and another 2 if they have them left on Nov 1.

Yes I'm going to keep drilling this! WNYBH post made me realize....perhaps that's the problem the DEC is having...They are thinking the same thing with this brain fart of theirs. They maybe handing them out like candy but NOT AT A TIME WHEN THEY WANT US TO USE THEM!!!!!!

Also let me add there are a few bow hunters(few hundred ) out there that would gladly hunt doe irregardless as to how absolutely flawed this plan is. If allowed to use a cross bow just that first two weeks and in just those areas. These are guys/gals that have had to give up on bow hunting due to shoulder injuries but could use a cross bow ....Yet another example of not giving the hunters the tools to do the job they are black mailing us(some of us) into doing.

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

that statement is just as bad as a guy who only has a few shotguns not worried about the safe act. It's a step towards affecting you. Just because you're a meat hunter only means you don't care that this does impact a lot of other hunters? You don't have our back just because it doesn't directly affect you?

Where did I say that I was for this law or said that I didn't care because it didn't effect me??  I don't support it, but at the same time I won't lie and say what some want to hear around here, which is that I don't support it because I can no longer kill a buck.  Which according to some of you is the ONLY reason why ALL hunters go hunting.  That's the BS part that you guys are injecting into this conversation.

• Like 2

Where did I say that I was for this law or said that I didn't care because it didn't effect me??  I don't support it, but at the same time I won't lie and say what some want to hear around here, which is that I don't support it because I can no longer kill a buck.  Which according to some of you is the ONLY reason why ALL hunters go hunting.  That's the BS part that you guys are injecting into this conversation.

you're confusing "ALL" with "Most". the proof is all around you that the increase in out of state tag sales to the midwest states, the 3 networks on cable now devoted to hunting and fishing, the marketing and billion dollar industry of hunting filled with gadgets like ozone and mineral licks and scent control are not around because a guy is trying to fill his freezer.

I have admitted and never will deny that I love me some horns, and I do totally understand the meat argument. Last year hunting unfamiliar public land and not shooting a deer till December had me terrified of an empty freezer and the least of my worries was any antlers.

But please at least agree with me that the majority of the "modern hunter", the one who doesn't need meat to feed his family is a hunter looking for a challenge and the reward is the rack. The rack is the gauge he or she uses to measure their success. Sure I can show you a 5.5 year old jaw bone of a mature doe I shot. A small minority will understand how big a feat that was. Harder than shooting a 3.5 year old buck in fact. But what picture gets more attention? Which story gets more ears at work? Which harvest gathers more respect from the "average hunter? The horns or the jaw bone?

Edited by Belo

you're confusing "ALL" with "Most". the proof is all around you that the increase in out of state tag sales to the midwest states, the 3 networks on cable now devoted to hunting and fishing, the marketing and billion dollar industry of hunting filled with gadgets like ozone and mineral licks and scent control are not around because a guy is trying to fill his freezer.

I have admitted and never will deny that I love me some horns, and I do totally understand the meat argument. Last year hunting unfamiliar public land and not shooting a deer till December had me terrified of an empty freezer and the least of my worries was any antlers.

But please at least agree with me that the majority of the "modern hunter", the one who doesn't need meat to feed his family is a hunter looking for a challenge and the reward is the rack. The rack is the gauge he or she uses to measure their success. Sure I can show you a 5.5 year old jaw bone of a mature doe I shot. A small minority will understand how big a feat that was. Harder than shooting a 3.5 year old buck in fact. But what picture gets more attention? Which story gets more ears at work? Which harvest gathers more respect from the "average hunter? The horns or the jaw bone?

Yes, I would agree with you that many "modern hunters" are most interested in big racks.  And the main reason for that are those TV shows that you also mention.  "Modern hunters" have been brainwashed by these programs, magazines and various other outlets to think that big horns is what it's all about.  I feel sorry for all of you.  Like Barnum said, there is a sucker born every minute, and that's exactly what has happened here.  Just as society has been brainwashed into thinking that they have to have the latest iphone, ipad, the latest this or that, YOU guys have been brainwashed into thinking that hunting is ALL about racks.  Like I said, I feel sorry for you all.  I and some others on the other hand aren't as easily suckered as you guys.  We hunt for the various other benefits, and big racks is definitely NOT what it's all about for us.

• Like 3

Lmao cmon u do t get exited over a big rack coming through the bushes^

I get excited over many things I see in nature.  A nice long hike thru the woods is enough to make me happy.  Those who only get excited over a big buck miss out on a hell of a lot of other things.  Again, you guys have been programed by TV shows and advertising to get excited over one thing, so have at it.

• Like 1

Lmao cmon u do t get exited over a big rack coming through the bushes^

Sure I do...and I have allowed some whoppers to walk due to shot angle, speed and being in my range but on the limiting edge and not willing to risk it...See here it is...MY CHOICE just like it's my choice to say I refuse to participate in a flawed plan and sit in the woods to shoot doe only and being TOLD to hold off on a buck...when it just is not necessary period.

• Like 2

Trying to understand this completely :

I can shoot does in ML season in 9H and my  regular buck tag still rolls over into ML season as either sex tag. I still can use doe tags thruout regular season and ML season in 9H ?! Still in fact being able to shoot 2 bucks ?!

However if I hunt in 8G my regular buck tag does not roll over  into ML season and can shoot does only ?!

Trying to make sure I understand this :negative: