Get your vaseline ready NY! Its here...

phade

FWIW, I do know with good confidence that the submissions for comments had a majority of comments against the antlerless seasons. I do not know what % or how lopsided it was, but do know that the majority of comments were against the implementation.

I have a spot in 9F that I can scout a few times late September and pattern a few bucks since it's close to home. That strategy is out the window now. I won't sit there if I have to let a buck that I want walk, I'll wait until the 15th to hunt it. And yes I do kill at least one doe there every year but usually later in gun season. The way hunting is headed in NY I really would like to get on a huge lease so we can somewhat control who hunts when with what. Early ML for does will happen next year, bet on that

FWIW, I do know with good confidence that the submissions for comments had a majority of comments against the antlerless seasons. I do not know what % or how lopsided it was, but do know that the majority of comments were against the implementation.

shame on me for missing the comment period but to your point, it's a complete waste of breath

This is why this move is strictly for population control. If people would stop gobbling up the DMPs and not filling them, then they would not need to make the first two weeks doe only. I do believe though, that doing this during gun would have a greater affect on the population.

that's true.  if you're filling more than half at best you shouldn't even be applying.

They could have pushed the youth hunt back farther so they did not get guns in the woods before we can shoot a Buck.

As it is we only have the 16th till the Turkey hunters will be out for the very short season this year.

What about all of the small game and waterfowl hunters that are already in the woods? Failing to see your logic here.

I don't know what's worse, this or mandatory antler restrictions.....

I think antler restrictions would be much easier to swallow if they were in an area where doe permits were easy to draw.  That is surely NOT the case in the Catskill region, however.  Many don't get a doe permit, and then they are told that they can't shoot a smaller buck.  Talk about reasons not to go out to hunt at all!

Quotes from Hurst earlier this year...

If an antlerless-only option within the archery and late muzzleloader seasons doesn’t give DEC the desired harvest in those units, the next step – outlined in the state’s Deer Management Plan – would be the implementation of a special antlerless-only muzzleloader season in select WMUs.

“If antlerless harvests continue to be insufficient, we must anticipate alternative strategies for increasing antlerless harvest in specific WMUs,” Hurst said in his pre-season report ahead of last year’s deer season. “We will be watching the 2014 harvest closely and are preparing to make targeted changes where needed in 2015, as outlined in DEC’s Management Plan for White-tailed Deer in New York State (2012-2016).”

As far as the tags go let me try this.

You buy a big game license. it give you one antlered deer tag.

you buy your FIRST special privilege and  it give you an either sex tag (could be bow or ML)

You buy your second special privilege and it give you an antlerless only. (could be bow or ML depending on what you bought first) 

if you have BOTH special privileges then you can use either or BOTH tags in the appropriate season. like filling both tags in early bow and never going out with the ML or saving them both until late ML. Or like I will be doing, going up north in mid October and filling both in the NZ. Might even try to find that 1.5 year old with the one 3" spike to take him.

Not everyone gets DMAPS by the boat load.  that was my thinking even if they don't have intentions of using a ML they buy the privilege for the tag to use early or for something somewhere else.  they're still buying the tag as you said.  I shot a 1.5 yr old buck before on state land miles back in.  Good for you.  I'll never drag a deer that far again unless it's a slammer. lol

This may be the worst blunder yet. It's not that bowhunters aren't shooting doe.. it's that we don't have access to the parks and private property where they're able to breed and feed without control.

I hate this rule, and I wholeheartedly believe it's the first step in their plan to introduce muzzleloaders into the archery season. I have not disagreed with a lot of the DEC's decisions... I even understand their reasons behind the crossbow even if I disagree. I just don't understand this... so now I pass up an early season shooter over my food plot? the deer I worked so hard to pattern? So now I sit in the freezing cold dead of winter with my mz to shoot a doe?

bad, bad, bad.

• Like 1

Quotes from Hurst earlier this year...

If an antlerless-only option within the archery and late muzzleloader seasons doesn’t give DEC the desired harvest in those units, the next step – outlined in the state’s Deer Management Plan – would be the implementation of a special antlerless-only muzzleloader season in select WMUs.

“If antlerless harvests continue to be insufficient, we must anticipate alternative strategies for increasing antlerless harvest in specific WMUs,” Hurst said in his pre-season report ahead of last year’s deer season. “We will be watching the 2014 harvest closely and are preparing to make targeted changes where needed in 2015, as outlined in DEC’s Management Plan for White-tailed Deer in New York State (2012-2016).”

so get ready to be in the woods, in full Camo with full foliage, with hunters toting tack driving muzzleloaders.
  • Like 1

Could.of.been easily.avoided if archers shot does instead of waiting for a big buck.... that's what they want kill does.. but I'd get doe tags and fill all those first

that is total and other bs. I'll give you my personal example which I'm sure can be applied many times over to the rest of the state and 8F. There are maybe a dozen or so archers within a 1,000 acre area. Most of us drop a doe each during the season with one weapon or another. The area is crawling with doe, yet they're healthy and buck numbers are good. Even if the dozen or so of us all shot a doe the first week it wouldn't make a difference. The hunter numbers triple during gun season. Even with brown it's down neighbors, the doe numbers remain steady.

asking archers to take more doe is not the issue and there just simply isn't enough bowhunters to do it. The biggest issue in our area? A big plant that doesn't allow hunting but has orchards and all sorts of sanctuary.

How about this? Full inclusion for crossbow but the first 2 weeks are doe only for them?

still with the changes I'm sure you taking the time to comment are the hunting minority.

unfortunately, I think we greatly overestimate the amount of hunters who really follow these thing closely and really care...............and I'm sure DEC feeds off of this.

• Like 2