Shed season 2010 - 2011

WNYBuckHunter

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I need to get enthusiastic again and get to a few different spots or something. :-\ The snow has really held me back this year. We're just beginning to melt out now but still quite a bit out there I have to wait on. For now I'm limited to checking the hillsides.

Here's the ATL's from yesterdays hike.

034.jpg

039.jpg

043.jpg

Wooly, I here ya man...I'm getting a bit discouraged too at the overall lack of size of my finds thus far.  I've got a few pretty decent ones but I know that there are bigger out there.  Maybe they're in the woods or cornfields that I'm holding off on checking until the snow is melted off?

Anyways, I heading out for a couple of hours this AM back to the farm where I've spent most of my time at this point.  Ended up finding 3 more "pocket sheds" (sheds small enough to stick in your pockets while you're walking around) in a corner of one field that has been snowed in on my previous trips through. These new additions put me @17 which surpasses by goal of 15.  With several weeks and lots of ground to check yet, I'm hoping I can find a few big ones.  Heading out to try to get permission to look on another farm tomorrow that I feel has the potential of being a real producer...

IMG_0474.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

IMG_0476.jpg

These new additions put me @17 which surpasses by goal of 15. 

That's a pretty good season so far! 8) I'm at 10 now but was hoping for 20 this year. I'll see if I can get any closer to my goal today.

What's your best seasons total finds? Probably 7 or 8 yrs ago I found 22 but haven't come close to that since. Usually right around 15 or so.

This is my forth year of shed hunting with 44 sheds to my credit (I have found more when I wasn't actually searching for them).  I ended up finding 8 each of the first two years back in '04 and '05...took a several year hiatus and then got back into it last spring finding 11. I'm thinking that I might have to bump this year's goal up to 25.

Good luck!

Anyone have any pointers, Ive checked the hay fields and have come up empty handed. I haven't been able to get into the woods all that much yet since the snow is still pretty deep. I walked the deer trails that were beat down in the snow and found nothing. There aren't any cut corn fields within miles of here and when the snow was gone for a few days I checked all the thick pines and still came up with nothing. I know there are bucks still alive because from everyone ive talked to around here only 3 bucks were killed and none of them were the ones I was watching. So from what I can see they either moved over a few hills and got shot or If I do start to find sheds There will be a pile of them because they all started hanging out together again. My buddie has been bugging me to get up to where he hunts at to so we can look for an 8 point in the 130's and a 10 in the 150's that nobody shot but there is still to much snow on the hill there to.

I find most of mine in bedding areas on south facing slopes where the snow melts off quicker. Also doesn't hurt to look in the white oak patches where the deer were digging through the snow to get to the acorns.  Good Luck next time out!!!!

John

Still sweating to the oldies! ;D I don't know what the heck is going on this year. :;)

Thought this guy was a freshy at first glance but he's not. :(

003.jpg

004.jpg

Thought this guy was a match to one from the other day....but he's not. :(

007.jpg

I walk right over this guy everyday for the past 2 weeks. Stopped to light a smoke and there he was! Nice chunky 4pt oldie. ;)

009.jpg

011.jpg

On another smoke break. Look down and see the tip of a tine. Then I lost it so I didn't move untill I could find it again. So I found it and then lost it right when I got the cam out for the atl.

Snatched this little sucker up quick after that.

Broken tine oldie covered in moss. :-/

016.jpg

018.jpg

On way home tried to keep my feet dry so I walked around the puddle instead of through it like I usually do. ::) Low and behold...another oldie. :-[

068.jpg

Tired of oldies and can't wait to get home. Cross a private driveway and duck under some brush. When I pop up I see this guy staring me in the face. Talk about adding insult to injury....a hanger oldie,lol :P

Well, more like a relocated oldie. ;)

073.jpg

And here's all the squill food at home. :-X

091.jpg

Hit up a new farm today and added 4 more sheds to my talley.  I really thought that I would have found a few more with the amount of ground that I covered, but no complaints here.  Hopefully, I can find a few more tomorrow too.

#18 was actually a nice broken mainbeam, but I'm counting it as a shed...

IMG_0477.jpg

#19 was an oldie...

IMG_0478.jpg

IMG_0479.jpg

#20 was a long-tined beauty and my new largest shed to date!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

IMG_0480.jpg

Snagged #21 out in a cornfield while trying to match up #20...

IMG_0481.jpg

IMG_0484.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg

IMG_0485.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg

On a sour note, I learned yesterday that someone found a monster 9-pt set grossing in the upper 150's to 160 (depending on spread) earlier in the week on another one of the farms that I shed hunt.  I actually did some walking around here last weekend (picked up 3 sheds) but never made it to the back end of the huge field. He found 5 sheds, including the big set in the back left corner of this pic.  Dang it, I was gonna finish it up this weekend. I'm SICK!!!  :(

IMG_0463.jpg

I hope to snap a few pics of this set tomorrow if I can get a hold of the kid who found them...

Awesome sheds guys!!!! I Went back out this weekend as well. Yesterday i found 4 more.

Within the first 5 minutes i found this one.

745b54b2.jpg

Then after walking for 3 more hours and not finding anything i found these 3 all within an hour.

23e3bff4.jpg

e047d901.jpg

66b8d7d2.jpg

4febacc4.jpg

824bddfd.jpg

And here they are at my house  safe and sound from the other shed hunters out there lol..

4aa5b453.jpg

Then today i went out with mike for a few hours and we found 4 more.  Mike spotted the first one and his first shed ever. It was a nice 3 point side.

5a301aba.jpg

ced7925e.jpg

Shortly after that i found these two laying in the same spot. One was an old one from last year and the second one which was a small 4pt side and the match to the one i found yesterday

bb3b1e0b.jpg

c5858a68.jpg

Not long after that i came across another oldie which was a chewed up 5 point side from 2 years ago.

a30c9fbb.jpg

And here they are all together for the day.

6591efdf.jpg

Here is the set that i found the one from yesterday and the one from today.

cbeedae2.jpg

All in all it was a good weekend with me adding 7 more to my collection and mike getting his first shed.  Next weekend we are going upstate and have some good spots to look in up there now that the snow has finally melted.  Good luck to anybody going out this week!!!

John

Tried to match up the big one from yesterday so I checked a little brush strip on the other side of the creek (really a small river) and found these two after only a couple minutes of looking.  Sorry, no ATL's, I forgot my camera in the truck. I stopped by at the next door neighbors to ask for permission and he said that the kids of the guy who works for him  have been out looking around and found some nice ones including a massive chocolate colored 7-pt. side...my heart sank!!!  I'm gonna have to stop by and see them I guess. 

Can't find the measuring tape I use for scoring but I came up with a 6.5" base and 8.5" right below the base of the browtine!!!  It's the most massive base that I've ever seen around here...

IMG_0498.jpg

IMG_0508.jpg

IMG_0500.jpg

Comparision with yesterdays's mid-60's shed:

IMG_0512.jpg

IMG_0510.jpg

IMG_0514.jpg

IMG_0515.jpg