LIVE from the woods 2015 Edition! - Sixth Year Going Strong

burmjohn

I don't hunt westchester because I only use an xbow. But I'm confused because I always thought westchester 3S just had 1 season 10/1-12/31 and they get 1 buck tag and 1 either sex tag, so 2 bucks as long as they stay in westchester.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

I don't hunt westchester because I only use an xbow. But I'm confused because I always thought westchester 3S just had 1 season 10/1-12/31 and they get 1 buck tag and 1 either sex tag, so 2 bucks as long as they stay in westchester.

I was under that impression too on a side note chase is on in 3s watched 3 does feed to 25 all the sudden hell breaks loose and an 8 is running one of them all over place this goes on for a few mins before he chases her in the distance where I couldn't see there was no way I was stopping him he had one thing on his mind

• Like 1

Exactly the impression I was under.  I guess I, we, are wrong.  According to all the Upstaters that jumped down my throat.  

Exactly the impression I was under. I guess I, we, are wrong. According to all the Upstaters that jumped down my throat.

I admit I wasn't about your pre sunrise buck, but in this case I believe you are correct. Hopefully the others will apologize if you (we) are correct

• Like 1

I was under that impression too on a side note chase is on in 3s watched 3 does feed to 25 all the sudden hell breaks loose and an 8 is running one of them all over place this goes on for a few mins before he chases her in the distance where I couldn't see there was no way I was stopping him he had one thing on his mind

You know I wasn't sure about Westchester rules either, so I looked it up. If I'm reading this correctly, then regular season starts October 1st so there's no reason why he can't use his buck tag...I think I owe you an apology.

8a46ff04a15e1d8fb366b7f0d616137a.jpg

• Like 5

Your right no early bow in 3s, only regular season. Also one wmu in Suffolk county is open till end of January from Oct 1 as one entire regular season. Anyway two 8 pts down this am before 730 in 4b. Ruts been on for at least a week. Rubs scrapes active, lots of young bucks chasing. Saw a big one with a doe but was just following her not chasing about a week ago. Wouldn't let her more than 40 yrds away

Well so I just got home after 5 hrs searching and no luck....called deer search hopefully hear back from them....going back in am....this is a dead deer for sure I hit it a Lil high but not a bad hit should be double lung blood looked good plenty of it....anyway I'll put the story here....

So I drove to a spot I haven't hunted in 3 weeks as I was trying to keep pressure off as I'm going there sat for gun season...anyway 15 foot in woods I get on some fresh scrapes and they are about literally 15 feet all the way to my stand...so I climb up at 12 or shortly after and proceed to put my mask on and post on here (lol). So I put my phone away and pul my bleat out as I always do to try to mask some of the crunch walking in and it it 2 times....put it in my pocket and look up at a 4 or 6 point walking right to me...I have been in the stand maybe 10 min....so he stops broadside 28 yards as I'm sure he smelled my doe pee out or maybe me.. I pulled up on him and waited to see if he was gonna work toward me or not...he stared to make me think he was gonna work away so I waited for him to clear 1 more tree and put dot in the sweet spot and touch it off...thwack and he turns and walks and I mean walks away thought for sure he was gonna tip over but he didn't and I could see my fletching sticking out about 10_15 inches below spine with at least 15 in penetration so I watched till I couldn't see him anymore...so I waited 45 min or so to get down and walk to my truck to get swamp boots from my uncle and came back out...now 130 I (color blind and all) ]pick up real good blood and follow till I lose it and called a buddy who then came down to help (230) so we tracked and tracked and then found my arrow covered in blood with lots of blood around all over everything thanks when things got wierd...we lose everything like he flew away or something so made circles until dark and back in the am...

All I know is I am disgusted at myself as this is the 2nd buck I couldn't find other 1 was killed by neighbor 3 days later all good but this one is a dead deer....I will be at it at 7am searching till I find this deer...either way my bow season is over as apparently luck isn't on my side this season hope it doesn't head over to gun season...not happy with myself as hunter or as i consider myself a pretty good shot...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Left my house at 4:30 AM to hit my spot in Cortland County and when I was about 10 miles out on I-81 South I see a flash of a deer off to my right, it's a decent size 4-6 point headed up the banking to the road, I lay on the brakes and the thing just jumps in front of the truck as I change lane to passing lane. I just clip it's head with the right side of the bumper with a thud. 

I pull over and my son gets out and tells me to call the police, it's damaged pretty good. I call the dispatch number and they tell me somebody will be right out. I text my buddy and my son says, the deer is trying to get up, in the road. I call dispatch back and tell them that the officer should use care.  About 10 minutes late the lights are on and we hear a shot. About a 20 seconds later a second one. She pulls up and we exchange pleasantries. She asks what we're doing pulling a 4 wheeler at that time of morning and I tell her, looking to get one of those guys in the woods. 

She was kind enough to have me follow her through U-turns as I want this deer in a grinder. Probably $3-4,000 in damage with the worst of it the rear quarter panel where he slammed into after the initial hit. 

Made it to our stands about 10 minutes before legal shooting and it was best day in woods as we saw 3 different bucks, including a weird looking big bodied spike, looked weird cause you would have though for sure it was a 6 or 8 point, no tines, at all. 

Excited for gun opener but not excited to deal with insurance company. Second time in 6 months I've had substantial damage to a vehicle due to deer. First was almost $4,000, right around the corner from my damn house. 

Excited for opener...

Edited by upstate

You know I wasn't sure about Westchester rules either, so I looked it up. If I'm reading this correctly, then regular season starts October 1st so there's no reason why he can't use his buck tag...I think I owe you an apology.

8a46ff04a15e1d8fb366b7f0d616137a.jpg

Whether you are reading it correctly or not, obviously I am not the only one who thinks that it is not quite so clear to see. If I was right all along, no apologies needed. I'm not easily offended, us dingleberries don't have much in the feelings dept.

• Like 6

Jesus H. A lot of wasted hunting time arguing about rules and regs. Thought this was the live from the stand thread? With that being said, I didn't see any deer. Just birds and red squirrels.

Thank you- Mods, why does this nonsense stay in here? 

So, if you live and hunt in a bow only zone (westchester) and having no land nor intention of going upstate and hunting w a rifle, your big game tag is essentially garbage? You can't get a bow tag without buying a reg season tag. So you pay for both but can only use one? Again, if you don't hunt rifle.

. Just so everyone knows jmg343 is 100%. Ok there is no differentation between seasons in Westchester it is all the regular season and it runs till the last day of December so to all you people that like to jump on everyone on this site. Shut up because you are wrong... Go back and read the regs yourselves!
  • Like 3

You remind me of the dingle berry that hangs off a dogs butt...disgusting every one...but no one wants to reach out and pull it off...Let the other guys point it out...

That was posted so others don't act the fool with regulations

. Who's the dog $hi77 now
  • Like 6

Wife calls me and says shot at one. (Yet another!!!) this a good size flat head. I leave post drive and find her. Buddy joins. We look for blood arrow trail, anything. By this time it's dark and flashlights are not doing justice. She tells me it was perfect, she took her time on this one, lined up nice, felt like a good solid shot and should have connected well. Going back after morning sit. Was actually going to work tomorrow but that is out. Hoping for hair or blood to follow. See how it goes in the AM.

• Like 2