LIVE from the woods 2015 Edition! - Sixth Year Going Strong

burmjohn

That winter of last year is toughest on deer. Snow and frigid early until late spring. That's also why the deer taken this year are slightly larger and bigger racks. It's not pleasant but it's part of nature at its rawest. Us hunters have to continue to harvest them. We can help prevent this at least a little.

Edited by Taylormike
  • Like 1

So here is the story of my day, get in stand around 6 see nothing... Decide to get down and still hunt over to one of our blinds. Get to blind and boom shot real close... Get a call from

My hunting buddy it was him and he needs help getting it out... Fast forward to 12:30 he drops me off at the stand that he shot her from in the atv, and heads off. Fast forward to 12:40 4 does behind me. Smoked one, 12:50 he's back with the atv load up head back down from camp! post-762-1448237658379_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Sat for an hour and a half, one unknown right off the bat , and one decent 8 at 4:30 . Came in to 25 yards decent mass, ok fine length can't see width finally it turns not quite to ear tips .

He gets a pass . Finally he busts me and runs towards property line where I know guys post up, BOOM !

I go over kid shot a doe, " hey congrats "....,,,,

Edited by Larry302

Very slow in 9m today hardly any shots. Left camp at 6 and down the road there is a truck with its flashers on I stop ask if there ok guy says yeah but this car just hit his truck crushed his stand and almost killed his wife that was standing at the back of the truck. Needles to say the guy was hammered so I took my truck to box him in because he was trying to get away.good showed up one less drunk on the roads . glad everyone is ok....

Sat for an hour and a half, one unknown right off the bat , and one decent 8 at 4:30 . Came in to 25 yards decent mass, ok fine length can't see width finally it turns not quite to ear tips .

He gets a pass . Finally he busts me and runs towards property line where I know guys post up, BOOM !

I go over kid shot a doe, " hey congrats "....,,,,

That really is annoying when you pass a buck and that happens been there numerous times. I feel to actually let deer pass you need at least 500 acres or at least you and your neighbors follow the same management practices.

Harvesting will drop the numbers and there will be food for the younger ones. But I get both points. The winter was rough. Not enough food is just not enough food. Hopefully this winter stays the way it is and the yearlings get to make it threw. I think the dog numbers need to drop too! But they don't taste very good that's why I ice fish instead of hunting them yotes! And hopefuly as cruel as Mother Nature is hopefully she has a sweet side too and grows the numbers again!

Edited by nodeerhere

Hunted all day getting ready to pack it in. Lowered my pack and there it was a bear 75 yards out and moving broad side. Took one shot the bear headed toward me and droped in its tracks. Made a groaning noise and that was it. So it pays to be prepared right to the end of the day.

• Like 8

That really is annoying when you pass a buck and that happens been there numerous times. I feel to actually let deer pass you need at least 500 acres or at least you and your neighbors follow the same management practices.

The farm I hunt is 3,000 acres but it's patch work and my spot is on a boarder. But many other farms / land owners are on board with the practice , just not those south of me, but turns out he shot a doe .