Which part of NY produces the biggest deer?

mattman77

Phade

Thanks for pointing out many of the bucks we should have killed and didn't.  Somehow I just got depressed.

Yeah, scary isn't it.

Even worse knowing there's a pile of other pics at home, too.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

Just think of all the bucks that don't get measured in nys, and all the small deer shot in the mid west, the shows show big ones but I've seen the same deer taken on different shows, not everyone gets a big buck even in big buck areas... most are average deer you never hear about or these states would have ten of thousands of entries every year and they dont... don't be deceived by the media, it will only set you up for dissapointment....

• Like 2

I've hunted the 7 region for a while and even though there are big deer, there is a lot of hunters and not all that much land. Especially lacking is the agriculture surrounding the public land.

From my experience, the biggest deer I've ever seen was south east of Geneseo. In just one day, I shot the biggest buck in my life (respectable 10pt but nothing record holding or anything), saw countless doe, a 6pt, and a buck that looked like fricken one of santas reindeer. So for me, I'd go with the region west/southwest of the finger lakes.

I have to say the ADK mountains. The places where no one else hunts. Not the full off with three other trucks parked. The deep dark areas where getting turned around means a world of $4it. When there is no pressure and no one killing them deer can get big, very big. 

Farm land in parts of Ontario County is inching towards that......

We lost a great piece of property to the high price the owner could get from selling it. He had $30,000 in it (bought in 1993 and 1998), a group of myself and family had pitched in but it was in his name. Company goes bankrupt and he needs $$ to get out of a jam. He sold it for $275,000! Can't justify that price just to hunt deer guys.  I got 2 140 and a 155 off that property, along with countless scrubbers.