People who steals stands

buck hunter

I have a large cable lock and big u lock for bicycles for securing my climber to tree when I'm not there.  We'll see how it works, it is on private land.

I welded up a bracket for my trail cam that I bolt to camera and then use the large torx bit lags you would use for lagging deck 4x4's etc.   Without torx bit it is very tough to get off of tree.

I had a guy around the corner form me with about 45 stands in his garage I called D.E.C.  they came and arrested him .

He got out on bail and in the middle of the night loaded his truck and took off most of the stands were sold at auction some were returned to the owns who had there names on them I believe he went to Florida  

I hate thieves! I have had a few stands stolen over the years. I also had one just a couple hundred yards behind the house attempted to be taken, my chains stopped them so the destroyed it.

It takes some balls to steal stuff when you know the people that own it will be armed if they meet you taking it.

Did I mention I hate thieves!

I am not so sure a few bullets would not make the world a better place for people that can keep their hands off other peoples property.

• Like 1

I hate thieves! I have had a few stands stolen over the years. I also had one just a couple hundred yards behind the house attempted to be taken, my chains stopped them so the destroyed it.

It takes some balls to steal stuff when you know the people that own it will be armed if they meet you taking it.

Did I mention I hate thieves!

I am not so sure a few bullets would not make the world a better place for people that can keep their hands off other peoples property.

At least it might deter them a little, especially knowing someone is watching.  I thought a few bear traps would impact their decision maybe even a few chunks of wood with nails poking up thru at the base of the tree. Tons of possibilities. Trip wire with paint would be neat too.

Enjoy:

Here is an article that goes with it. In the article the guy states he knew it was just 8 feet on the other guys property then says he didn't know the logging road was on the neighbors property. I mean this is a little extreme but they sell paintball mortars. If my stand is stolen again this year you bet I'll have a ton of those mortars setup on my stand with some 6lbs. braid.

http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/articles/deer-news/painted-deer-hunter-to-have-trespassing-ticket-dismissed-landowner-also-charged 

Edited by chas0218
  • Like 2

At least it might deter them a little, especially knowing someone is watching.  I thought a few bear traps would impact their decision maybe even a few chunks of wood with nails poking up thru at the base of the tree. Tons of possibilities. Trip wire with paint would be neat too.

Enjoy:

LOL that is funny!!

Seriously guys? Wtf. I hate this as much as the next guy but are you really going to shoot at someone for taking your Property that cost less than $500???

There are a lot of scum bags out there and they should get what they deserve but I'm not shooting at anyone for taking a stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I'm serious, I won't do it because it's against the law and on public land I have a different feeling, but I think anyone trespassing on my private land and steeling from me I should have the right to defend my property. Every situation is different and I would make a judgement call but I just think I should have that right

Enjoy:

Here is an article that goes with it. In the article the guy states he knew it was just 8 feet on the other guys property then says he didn't know the logging road was on the neighbors property. I mean this is a little extreme but they sell paintball mortars. If my stand is stolen again this year you bet I'll have a ton of those mortars setup on my stand with some 6lbs. braid.

http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/articles/deer-news/painted-deer-hunter-to-have-trespassing-ticket-dismissed-landowner-also-charged 

Boobytraps are illegal.

This whole "dirt-bags in the woods" phenomena is one of the reasons I use climbers instead of permanent stands anymore.  Added bonus, you don't show others where your hunting places are. My ladders weren't stolen, but several were damaged, or messed with.  All on private property, well posted.

Posted land doesn't stop hardly anyone, and once had a former friend tell me they know those cabin owners only hunt weekends, so they'll run deer drives across the hill camps on Tuesday.  Only takes a couple a$@h*%$ to make your entire area more worry than it's worth

Regarding cameras, I will say that I have gotten very creative at camouflaging them. Most people just strap them to the side of a tree, and the damn things stick out like a sore thumb. I have set-ups that hide the cameras under stones and logs with it just looking up at the trails. I have heard of other guys who go in the other direction and put them way above eye level. I put one in a very thick apple tree that had a big rotted limb hanging down. By the time I got done, you really couldn't see the thing at all.

That attachment strap is what really catches your eye. Anything you can do to hide that will help that camera blend into the background.

• Like 3

Yes I'm serious, I won't do it because it's against the law and on public land I have a different feeling, but I think anyone trespassing on my private land and steeling from me I should have the right to defend my property. Every situation is different and I would make a judgement call but I just think I should have that right

If you did that , I would have to say --- enjoy your time in jail !

. I would not do it, because it's illegal I was just saying that we should have s little more wiggle room when it comes to defending our home

If someone came into your home , I would consider it different than someone in the woods stealing a tree stand . 

When someone takes your stuff , you feel violated and want to take some action but would be in trouble if you did . Seems like thieves have the upper hand . I had 2 pellet rifles taken from my garage in broad daylight . A lot of things go through your mind when a thief steals so close . It has gotten so bad that I keep the car doors locked when my car is in my driveway . 

I padlock my stands and trail cameras but if a thief wanted them bad enough , a hacksaw or bolt cutters would do the trick . Padlocks are a deterrent for not thief proof . 

• Like 3

Maybe you could carry a Taurus judge with rubber buckshot or rock salt. I think that would work.

. It's not even about that, I'm sure they would just sue you... I'm just saying we live in a state that puts the right of the criminal above that of the home owner

. It's not even about that, I'm sure they would just sue you... I'm just saying we live in a state that puts the right of the criminal above that of the home owner

What state in the nation allows someone to shoot someone else for stealing their tree stand in the woods?

Theres a big difference between that and someone entering your home, or car jacking you.

• Like 1