public lands

ryan

84ae65ec70844888f8ef70e4806a1269.jpg

One of the public land deer I have shot...again as others have said this spot wasn't for the faint of heart even tho only a 20 min walk....2 hr or so drag lol

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

That's a sweet deer!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Is that second pic of a fawn that just lost its spots?

Hey Belo i have button bucks on my property bigger than that doe, just teasing, but true..

so in this wma you have to drop the jawbone off with your harvest. you can get the age report back if you ask. she was 75lb dressed I think... and a 2.5 year old doe. lol. we just have to shoot more in the south.

Edited by Belo

I Have hunted Public land for the past 30 yrs, Opening weekend kinda suxs, however we don't have the numbers of hunters we had 30 yrs ago, usually after Opening weekend I have the place to myself. My son and I get at least 1 deer or two every year because we get to our stand at least 30 min before sunrise and stay till at least noon everyday we go out. 

so in this wma you have to drop the jawbone off with your harvest. you can get the age report back if you ask. she was 75lb dressed I think... and a 2.5 year old doe. lol. we just have to shoot more in the south.

Damn you guys need to feed your deer. I'd have figured a country deer would have grown bigger, not smaller

I think it depends on the state land you hunt. The lands closer to large cities are going to get more hunters then if you get more into the country. The smaller lands in more wooded areas get a little less pressure as people are either leasing, or have permission to hunt private land.

I have also learned opening day SZ gun is far worse the opening day NZ gun.

Haven't really had too many issues on state land.  most of the people I meet are pretty nice and don't screw with you on purpose.  It's the very few dickweeds that set up 40 yds away from you, or the cell phone talkers, or the couple thieves that give it a bad name.  Crowding sucks, but for some guys, they know 1 spot, only hunt 1 week a year, and if someone's there, they move only as far as they have to.  but that's how it goes, they can be there, same as you.  Its why I walk farther, or through more difficult areas to get to

One time I met a guy who lived less than a mile from me while we were getting out of our trucks about 100 miles from home. Never met at home, but know each other now!

• Like 1

Allegany State Park in the 80's...along the trails opening week, 1 orange guy every 100 yds for as far as you could walk on every trail.  needed 3 for a party permit, does everywhere, and you could follow the herd movement by where the booms were, in groups of three.

Allegany State Park in the 80's...along the trails opening week, 1 orange guy every 100 yds for as far as you could walk on every trail.  needed 3 for a party permit, does everywhere, and you could follow the herd movement by where the booms were, in groups of three.

exactly! a group of 3-5 does would keep running until they were all killed or maybe 1 or 2 made it too safety........they were kept running all day by the amount of guys out pushing them around. What's the old saying?? "they were the best of times and the worst of times"....I'm pretty sure those days are where the term "orange army" came from.

Edited by jjb4900

guess none of you guys hunted the Catskills during the late 70's early 80's...........now, that was a war zone.

Yes I remember those days, I know the sound of rounds hitting trees and wizzing by you all too well, back when nobody hunted from stands, we all hunted from the ground, and to make matters worse it was pretty much Buck only, doe permits were few and far between. I called them "city" boys with there expensive guns, hell there scopes cost more than my old 64 ford truck! haha 

• Like 1

Actually, compared to the "good ol' days", the chunk of state land that I have always hunted has really diminished significantly in hunter density. Plenty of action on surrounding private properties, but the state land has quieted right down. I think it has to do with all the proliferation and exaggeration of horror tales of the past. All the tall tales have been embellished to the point where people are afraid to hunt there. That's ok with me, I won't discourage it. If it keeps going, there will soon be fewer hunters here during gun season than there is during the bow season. In fact, when you get into the second week of gun season, it already is like that.

Actually, compared to the "good ol' days", the chunk of state land that I have always hunted has really diminished significantly in hunter density. Plenty of action on surrounding private properties, but the state land has quieted right down. I think it has to do with all the proliferation and exaggeration of horror tales of the past. All the tall tales have been embellished to the point where people are afraid to hunt there. That's ok with me, I won't discourage it. If it keeps going, there will soon be fewer hunters here during gun season than there is during the bow season. In fact, when you get into the second week of gun season, it already is like that.

Except the driving groups on the weekend with there pans and whistles

• Like 1

i admit, prior to hunting public land I had envisioned all the horrors I was told about. After hunting it, I really didn't experience any of it.

the biggest truth and it's not surprising is that the density is much lower and the deer are far more skittish/nocturnal