Calling DEC & Trying To Get Facts

DirtTime

I was looking up a few alternate areas which happen to be state land to hunt deer. Two of them are sort of small and close to cities and towns. Due to that some areas do have restrictions other then the county wide laws I was concerned about what you can hunt and what you can use to hunt.

Might sound stupid to some of you, but I would really rather not walk into a bow only area carrying a rifle. I would rather have facts then get a fine or loose my guns. The way things change in NY are faster then a cowboy farting after eating chili.

So, my question for both lands were simple:

"Can I use a shotgun or rifle or is bow only?".

After 15+ calls, I was finally given the information I needed for both areas.

Where I live we have a public land area that is bow only for deer season, and small game you can us ea shotgun but non-toxic shot. Also there is a part of that area where you need to have a special permit to hunt.

I felt my questions were valid, and I was covering my ass by asking them.

You would think, one call to each area and they should know WTF is going on and the laws for that area. Nope, as a matter of fact the number they have on the DEC site for one ranger in one of the areas is not in service anymore. How the hell does that happen? WTF? I have to tell you when something is off on your site?

Anyway, sorry about the mild rant, I just like to keep things right.

Any of you get this crap when calling DEC?

• Like 1

I got my info due to a woman who I kept having to call and she was trying. After about two hours of talking to her, calling the numbers she gave me, she called me back and gave me the number of the LT. Officer in my area. Talking to him was 30 minutes, but, I had my info in the first 5. Then we talked about the area and about hunters in general. He apologized for all the phone tag with other DEC. He actually gave me information to two areas in separate WMU's.

It was just frustrating.

• Like 1

I usually start with the list of ECO's for the area I will be in.  The phone numbers, usually their home#, is in the back of the guide and I look for the ones with the closest phone number prefix.

I start with them because they are the ones patrolling the area and the ones who know and I'll be running into.

Sometimes it's their cell number listed, but mostly it's their home number.  So I call in advance and don't expect an immediate response.  I've never not had one call me back.

Edited by Jaeger
  • Like 3

I got my info due to a woman who I kept having to call and she was trying. After about two hours of talking to her, calling the numbers she gave me, she called me back and gave me the number of the LT. Officer in my area. Talking to him was 30 minutes, but, I had my info in the first 5. Then we talked about the area and about hunters in general. He apologized for all the phone tag with other DEC. He actually gave me information to two areas in separate WMU's.

It was just frustrating.

You know that all of the officers for your area are listed in the Regs guide with their phone number?

• Like 1

The 2015 hunting trapping guide and the DEC website do list numbers for the rangers in each county. In mine it lists three. I know one of them has since printing left, so he's not there. But of the other two they are state issued cell phone numbers, and the first time I called the guy was quite personable and answered my questions. It doesn't sound like you tried this particular approach because in the guide, which is also downloadable at NY Dec, there isn't a single county that has only one officer. I don't think they mind you calling--that's why they publish the numbers, and another DEC officer gave us all the idea to do it in our hunter course.

You know that all of the officers for your area are listed in the Regs guide with their phone number?

Yes. One area the local ranger number was not in service. That was where the problems started. The reason for my asking questions is that I have a state forest in my area that is not open to hunting at all, and another public area that is only open to deer hunting with a bow, and yet another state forest open to hunting. I wanted facts. Sorry, I am not walking into a state forest thinking "It's in such a such a county, they are open for rifle so I am good.". That's not always the case.

I guess I was just amazed and a bit shocked that a few didn't know/have an answer. I prefer to know local laws that can at times override county laws. 

Yes. One area the local ranger number was not in service. That was where the problems started. The reason for my asking questions is that I have a state forest in my area that is not open to hunting at all, and another public area that is only open to deer hunting with a bow, and yet another state forest open to hunting. I wanted facts. Sorry, I am not walking into a state forest thinking "It's in such a such a county, they are open for rifle so I am good.". That's not always the case.

I guess I was just amazed and a bit shocked that a few didn't know/have an answer. I prefer to know local laws that can at times override county laws.

These local laws may not be the responsibility or jurisdiction of the DEC. If a specific parcel has local regs, you may need to contact that town to find out the details. Usually state forests are managed by forest rangers, and should be contacted for such questions. Your local DEC officer may know these regs and pass them on to you, but I wouldn't be surprised if they told you to ask that specific park ranger for the most up to date regs.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Edited by shawnhu
  • Like 1

If you can find an e-mail address at the DEC, I would think this would be the best way to make legal inquiries rather than using the phone or personal visits. That way, you receive back a hard-copy answer that you can keep.

What I keep hearing is that a lot of the questions that are asked, are relative to things that are not clearly written. And if the laws can confuse you, they can confuse those that are supposed to be in-the-know.

You may get a wrong answer, or an answer that an arresting ECO might not fully understand. It's always good to have something in your pocket that shows what you were told.

If you can find an e-mail address at the DEC, I would think this would be the best way to make legal inquiries rather than using the phone or personal visits. That way, you receive back a hard-copy answer that you can keep.

What I keep hearing is that a lot of the questions that are asked, are relative to things that are not clearly written. And if the laws can confuse you, they can confuse those that are supposed to be in-the-know.

You may get a wrong answer, or an answer that an arresting ECO might not fully understand. It's always good to have something in your pocket that shows what you were told.

Good advice. You could also record the phone call with a smartphone or something. Totally legal in New York (one party consent state) and you don't need to tell the other party it's being recorded. :) You can do the same thing next time you get called in for a nasty meeting with your boss, too!