Rifle Caliber- Which would you choose?

pitweiler

I call my gun shop and tell him what I need "guns or ammo" if it can be got he has it for me in 3 business days. I drive by a dicks and 2 walmarts to buy from him. If that costs me 5 dollars extra a box oh well!

I understand, I re-load so most of my brass is once fired.  I have used hornady, winchester, remington and nosler brass (brand new) and I keep coming back to the old remington brass. It seems to shoot just as good and I can get 4 reloads under normal cirrcumstances so 5 shots out of 1 piece of brass. Not saying I can't get that out of the other brands but they are all more expensive than the remington corlokts.

Edited by chas0218

I understand, I re-load so most of my brass is once fired.  I have used hornady, winchester, remington and nosler brass (brand new) and I keep coming back to the old remington brass. It seems to shoot just as good and I can get 4 reloads under normal cirrcumstances so 5 shots out of 1 piece of brass. Not saying I can't get that out of the other brands but they are all more expensive than the remington corlokts.

as a side note, what area of the brass is failing that you are only getting 4 reloads? you loading as max's?

Sako Stainless Hunter with 510-570mm (20-22") barrel assuming you want finish of wood.  then chambered for 30-06.  find some experienced buddy to load you up some 210gr Nosler Accubond LR bullets.  it could still reach out there to 350 yards with that high BC and weight to keep it chugging along.  around 1970 ft-lbs @ 350 yds.

One issue with the .300 mags is the recoil...I worked up loads for my .338 Win mag and my buddy's .300 Win mag and they both kicked the snot out of me at the bench..

Certainly some shooters handle recoil better than others, but one reason that the calibers in the .270/.280./ 7mm rem mag/.308/30-06 class are so popular is that they have about as much recoil as many shooters are comfortable with..

The .300 mags all have reputations as hard kickers, and I think they have more recoil than Joe Average Deerhunter wants to deal with...My buddy uses his .300 Win Mag for deer, but then he's dumb as a stump and as recoil proof as a tractor tire..

• Like 1

Sako Stainless Hunter with 510-570mm (20-22") barrel assuming you want finish of wood.  then chambered for 30-06.  find some experienced buddy to load you up some 210gr Nosler Accubond LR bullets.  it could still reach out there to 350 yards with that high BC and weight to keep it chugging along.  around 1970 ft-lbs @ 350 yds.

Whats the hold over? it has to be close to 2' maybe a little less with that bullet weight.

Being that the Ruger 77 Hawkeye  ( standard  with a wood stock ) are all priced the same and for the game animal and distance you want to shoot I would go for the 300 win. mag.

You are picking a non semi auto rifle, so most of the time it will be a 1 a shot deal ( if you did you practice ) and are placing the shots well at that distance. So recoil will not matter. I have or had many brands and styles and calibers of rifles threw the years.There are not any factory stocks that can come close  to a wood stock for stifness and taking away some of the felt recoil with out altering them. Unless you want to spend the extra money for a Mc Millan or Manners stock.    

Whats the hold over? it has to be close to 2' maybe a little less with that bullet weight.

not all bullets are created equal.... depends on the setup but would be somewhere around 16-18" probably.  not that bad.  basic soft point 150gr in 308 would be around 22" in drop out to 350 yards.

not all bullets are created equal.... depends on the setup but would be somewhere around 16-18" probably.  not that bad.  basic soft point 150gr in 308 would be around 22" in drop out to 350 yards.

Yeah I know the .308 would be more same weight with less powder equals less fps.

Edited by chas0218

I still say a 25-06 or the reliable .270 win. would be the cat's meow. .250 bullet with the powder of a 30-06 will get the job done on almost anything.

The 25-06 will be effected less by environmental variables than the larger calibers.

Edited by chas0218

I still say a 25-06 or the reliable .270 win. would be the cat's meow. .250 bullet with the powder of a 30-06 will get the job done on almost anything.

I think it would definitely work and with a good bullet you'd still get penetration.  weight is limited and you're stepping down in caliber.  those two things are big factors when it comes to knock down terminal performance without getting something like a VLD that is meant to blow apart and dissipate almost all the energy.  those are great for kills and TV footage but I like to eat what I shoot.

• Like 1

But too you are gaining a lot more speed which can make up for the loss in weight, energy wise. I agree 30-06 is tried and true but depending on the sought after game 30-06 can be over kill at times like using a .300 Win. Mag. on whitetails. You can use it but in my opinion way too much gun for whitetails even mule deer.

very different weight... 210gr versus 150gr.

I thought you were talking about the same gr. bullets for .308 and 30-06.

Edited by chas0218

But too you are gaining a lot more speed which can make up for the loss in weight, energy wise. I agree 30-06 is tried and true but depending on the sought after game 30-06 can be over kill at times like using a .300 Win. Mag. on whitetails. You can use it but in my opinion way too much gun for whitetails even mule deer.

I thought you were talking about the same gr. bullets for .308 and 30-06.

environmental variables like wind?

wind drift both the 30-06 w/ 210gr ABLR and 25-06 w/ 120gr spritzer boattail are within 7-8" of wind drift @ 350 yards out with a 10mph crosswind.

@ 350 yds the lighter .25-06 bullet will have 70% of the energy the 210gr 30-06 bullet has.  the point keeping the original post in mind is bigger game is better served with a heavier harder hitting bullet but won't be in a rifle setup that kicks shoulder like a mule.

wind drift both the 30-06 w/ 210gr ABLR and 25-06 w/ 120gr spritzer boattail are within 7-8" of wind drift @ 350 yards out with a 10mph crosswind.

@ 350 yds the lighter .25-06 bullet will have 70% of the energy the 210gr 30-06 bullet has.  the point keeping the original post in mind is bigger game is better served with a heavier harder hitting bullet but won't be in a rifle setup that kicks shoulder like a mule.

and a heavier bullet is less effected by variables like cross wind.

and a heavier bullet is less effected by variables like cross wind.

Actually it is the other way around. Most think that, but because of its physical size and amount of time the bullet is still in the air the larger heavier bullet is less resistant to environmental variables (mostly wind, and gravity)

Actually it is the other way around. Most think that, but because of its physical size and amount of time the bullet is still in the air the larger heavier bullet is less resistant to environmental variables (mostly wind, and gravity)

Got it, a heavier bullet is more effected by the wind than a lighter one and gravity is a variable.

In reality if the heavier and lighter bullet had the same BC and were with close MV it wouldn't make a hoot at hunting distance.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

in general the faster and smaller profile bullet will buck the wind better.  you're right.  in this case though the high BC and weight of the 210gr bullet compared to your smaller profile and faster .25 cal bullet is a wash @ 350+ yards.  farther you go out in yardage the more the heavier bullet will maintain velocity and the faster smaller bullet will lose steam.  for deer both will work great any day of the week.  for bigger stuff though I'd be the bigger chunk of lead.

We all have our favorites, but ,truth be known, there are probably at least a dozen common rifle/bullet combinations that could be  used for deer from up close to 300 yards or so, that would show little if any difference regarding ability to hit a deer sized target, OR performance on game given proper shot placement...

If we were to include chamberings that  are commomnly used in other parts of the world, there would be even more  combinations that give similar performance...