New proposed tax on guns

A NY congresswoman is proposing a new $100 tax on all gun sales to go towards anti violence and mental health.  I think that the money will be going to her and her colleagues who think that this is a good idea because they are crazy.  

Nothing like shifting blame.  What ever happened to personal accountability?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/bill-slap-100-tax-gun-sales-heads-congress-article-1.2411715

• Like 1

When you think about it.. a tax, on honest, hard working, responsible gun owners,  would solve the  gun violence problem caused by dishonest, career criminal, repeat offending, parole violating,constant victimizing, bottom feeding scum who couldn't care less about any laws. You know?? Like the repeat offending stains who live in places like Chicago, Baltimore, NYC, South Central L.A. Syracuse, Utica ETC...I mean these "Politicians" talk about the gun violence in these places all the time because their not total cowards.  Im sure that this "Congresswoman" went to college and is way smarter than us….So…I mean think about it…She must be right.

Edited by ants
  • Like 4

They're copying legislation recently passed in Seattle.  Nobody buys guns there anymore and every gun shop in town moved outside the city now.  They are now getting less tax revenue since the law passed.  It's feel good legislation for dummies.

Is this woman in NY a Democrat by any chance?

• Like 1

People please start passing around this link to as many people as you can on every website you can everytime the discussion comes up. Its time these anti-gunner crowd stops brainwashing people .

http://www.policeone.com/Gun-Legislation-Law-Enforcement/articles/6183787-PoliceOnes-Gun-Control-Survey-11-key-lessons-from-officers-perspectives/

mrvjp did i say anything like that and no and i am realy tired of the shit from this group have a good season i am done here

Translated, "I don't care."

That's exactly what you said.  

That's how NY gets most of the bad gun laws it has.  If it doesn't affect someone, they don't care.

If you can't handle a simple question designed to make you think a little, or clarify your opinion, you're better off leaving.

Edited by Mr VJP
  • Like 1

Well, we all cheered when the government used the tax levying as a weapon against smokers and the legal tobacco industry. Why are we now surprised that the same tactics would be used to attack another industry that the government has decided was evil. See, the ends justifies the means as long as it's not our ox that is getting gored. The government can indeed direct public behavior control through taxation. And now that it has been proven, don't expect it to stop with just cigarettes.

Oh, and I wouldn't expect the taxation to stop at guns. They have ammo and components to work on too. It will all be justified under the code words, "Sin Tax". And the beauty is that it technically is not contrary to the 2nd Amendment. All these things will still be able to be bought .... if you have enough money.

• Like 1

Well, we all cheered when the government used the tax levying as a weapon against smokers and the legal tobacco industry. Why are we now surprised that the same tactics would be used to attack another industry that the government has decided was evil. See, the ends justifies the means as long as it's not our ox that is getting gored. The government can indeed direct public behavior control through taxation. And now that it has been proven, don't expect it to stop with just cigarettes.

Oh, and I wouldn't expect the taxation to stop at guns. They have ammo and components to work on too. It will all be justified under the code words, "Sin Tax". And the beauty is that it technically is not contrary to the 2nd Amendment. All these things will still be able to be bought .... if you have enough money.

We??  Who's we?  I certainly didn't cheer.  I saw it as another unconstitutional tax used by an ever expanding, abusive, big government nanny state.

I agree the government uses "sin taxes" to control people.  The people need to wise up and reject that tactic if they want to be united against government abuse.  But like you say, the people have been successfully divided by prior government strategies and are being divided even more every day.

People need to realize that strategy benefits the government, not the people.  But I have little hope that reality will ever dawn on most of the "me" generation, or the proponents of big government.

Yeah, the majority of American's supported the attack on tobacco.  But that should be considered an indication to intelligent voters how many stupid voters are out there.

• Like 1

We do.  Sales tax, registration, licensing fees, and insurance are all state imposed taxes required to drive a car.

But it wasn't the car that did it, it was the person behind the wheel.  Unlike murderers who use firearms, this driver is being blamed for what she did.

BTW, a funny thing happened in the press after this car attack happened.  An Oklahoma newspaper actually reported this incident as a shooting that killed 4 and wounded 30 more.  Talk about an agenda.  They never bothered to wait for the facts before they went to press.

Mental illness is a serious problem confronting America today, and from some of the posts I read here some here too, so adding a tax to firearms, which we all know are used in crimes committed by the mentally unstable, is a good idea and way to fund not just mental healthcare but also the injuries guns cause. Taxes are just an added cost of doing business and as everyone knows they are unavoidable. As for driving gun shops out of business your local store, in every instance, has been replaced by the big "Box Stores" who are not going to suffer from having to collect an additional sales tax.

Mental illness is a serious problem confronting America today, and from some of the posts I read here some here too, so adding a tax to firearms, which we all know are used in crimes committed by the mentally unstable, is a good idea and way to fund not just mental healthcare but also the injuries guns cause. Taxes are just an added cost of doing business and as everyone knows they are unavoidable. As for driving gun shops out of business your local store, in every instance, has been replaced by the big "Box Stores" who are not going to suffer from having to collect an additional sales tax.

So, you're saying you're OK with the government taking more of your money and spending it on things they usually don't effectively fix?  I can't think of much the government spends money on that would be considered the best way to fix something.  Besides, why burden only firearms purchasers with the cost of mental healthcare when those folks cause crimes in many areas, not just shootings.

I don't know where you live, but there are still plenty of local gun stores in many areas of NY state.  The Big Box stores are where novices buy their firearms.

Seattle is the proof these laws do not have the desired effect.

• Like 1

Yes Mr VJP, Gander Mountain, one of the only sporting good's store in my part of Orange County, right next door to Dick's, is full of novices. Judging from most of your posts that I have read I would think you would be favor of treating mental illness because judging from what you say it seems like you yourself are in need of some sort of mental health care.

So, you fancy yourself a psychologist too?  You're a clueless lemming.

There's more to this than you know.

Tracking, mandatory reporting and fines

In addition to the tax, the measure would order the Attorney General to establish a tamper-proof passive identification capability for firearms to allow them to be picked up by a mobile or fixed reading device. Those selling guns without such a feature could risk a $1,000 fine.

Read on fool.

http://www.guns.com/2015/10/27/lawmaker-seeks-100-federal-tax-passive-tracking-on-each-new-gun-sold/?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=562f94fc04d3011400e7bfe9&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

• Like 1