Low and High Deer Populations

upstatehunter

No one is responsible for my professional success or failure but myself. If I am not making what I think I should for the job I do. Then I need to look elsewhere. Same with hunting. If I am not happy with the deer numbers or quality where I am hunting, then I need to look elsewhere. No one should have to hold my hand, pat my head and say "it's OK, we will drop more deer in the area for you"! If you are not killing or seeing enough deer, become a better hunter or find greener pastures! Quit complaining and just hunt!

some people depend on the government for everything......

• Like 1

So where do you suggest we hunt when deer numbers are down in are area. I live in 6k. I get a 6k doe tag. Deer sightings are low. I go get a left over doe tag and it's for 3 hours away. Doesn't seem fesibal to me. Now to find decent state property. Also Dec has the power to create better habitat. Drive by the Montezuma swamp

Take a look at the deer take numbers for the last year or two, then look at DMP allocation, its pretty easy to figure out where the populations are high and where they are not.

Federal government works with the department's. Like I said from the beginning state and federal have power to do what is necessary such as what Franklin Roosevelt did. Also it's not to raise deer numbers to kill, it's an overall benefit to both hunting, wealth of an animal, viewers, etc

Listen, if you dont understand what carrying capacity is, then you are completely lost on this subject. Moving more deer into an area where the habitat cannot support it, will not do the deer any good.

• Like 2

1 Everyone wishes there were more deer where they hunt but that's not realistic 2 if you only reason for hunting is to kill a deer or any other animal then I suggest you stop 3 if hunting was as easy as walking in the woods and walking back out with meat everyone would b doing it... just spending time in the woods is good enough for me don't even matter if see a deer or not im satisfied.

I would like to make a formal request of the DEC!  Burn down about 1/4 of the Forever Wild Forest so something more than just birds can enjoy the land!  Feed the deer in winter yards and relocate 20 monster bucks to Moose River by next week so me and all of my friend can get a deer, Thanks in advance for all your help!  Cost in no object!  Get it done!  

• Like 3

So where do you suggest we hunt when deer numbers are down in are area. I live in 6k. I get a 6k doe tag. Deer sightings are low. I go get a left over doe tag and it's for 3 hours away. Doesn't seem fesibal to me. Now to find decent state property. Also Dec has the power to create better habitat. Drive by the Montezuma swamp

You could try hunting Montezuma, they are overrun with deer. But, I'm sure you didn't mean when deer numbers are down in your area... you meant when you haven't seen many deer from your treestand.

Anyone saying the DEC has total responsibility on how many deer are in a given area, is not thinking about all of the other variables involved (habitat, food quality, food availability, hunting levels, predator numbers, etc).

If you have ever attended a DEC seminar or conversed with any of the DEC personnel, or read any of their publications, you will never hear them admit that anything is beyond their control. According to them and their apologists, the statistics that they use are as good as the word of God, and their abilities to react and respond to any natural forces within a year or two are legendary and flawless. And yes, wildlife population control is their responsibility. That is one of the major things that they are being paid for and the reason we pay truck-loads of tax money to that agency. There sure isn't anyone else that we pay to do the job.

Now bear in mind that I don't buy into their claims, but if they are going to put all that crap out there for public consumption, then they have to live with the "put up or shut up" expectations from their employers .... us.

If you have ever attended a DEC seminar or conversed with any of the DEC personnel, or read any of their publications, you will never hear them admit that anything is beyond their control. According to them and their apologists, the statistics that they use are as good as the word of God, and their abilities to react and respond to any natural forces within a year or two are legendary and flawless. And yes, wildlife population control is their responsibility. That is one of the major things that they are being paid for and the reason we pay truck-loads of tax money to that agency. There sure isn't anyone else that we pay to do the job.

Now bear in mind that I don't buy into their claims, but if they are going to put all that crap out there for public consumption, then they have to live with the "put up or shut up" expectations from their employers .... us.

I actually have had quite a few conversations with them, and read plenty of what they have put out there. They are just as aware of carrying capacity as anyone else that knows something about deer management, biology, etc. Yes, population control is their responsibility, but they dont have complete control of how many deer an area can support.

Its Not The Farmer Fault Its The Local Famers And Fellow hunters that are planting and Growing Food and Habitat. By spending Millions on Seed and Planting land that other wise would not hold Deer. Its the States FAULT they do Very little to improve Habitat for small & big game In NY

How come your post have so many capitals all over the place; are these names of places you are referring to? I mean, they must be, since you've already edited your post at least once.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

SLAP!!!  I'm Rick James B!  Apparently they are important enough to complain about for 2 weeks.  Not important!  Tell that to my buddy who is still agonizing over the monster he did not shoot 2 plus weeks ago!  He is still upset!  Grand scheme of things sure but reality is they mean a lot to us hunters and deer enthusiast! 

believe it or not, deer really aren't that important in the Grand Scheme of things.........

How come your post have so many capitals all over the place; are these names of places you are referring to? I mean, they must be, since you've already edited your post at least once.

The reason for the caps: Member thought I said Farmers where the problem. So I edited the post to bold Caps. So why come onto a Thread to point something like Caps or Edited, You grading? Or do you have a problem. If you have nothing positive to add, don't add. HEY I MODIFIED THIS IN CAPS TO GIVE YOU SOMETHING TO DO.  

Edited by Huntscreek

The reason for the caps: Member thought I said Farmers where the problem. So I edited the post to bold Caps. So why come onto a Thread to point something like Caps or Edited, You grading? Or to you have a problem. If you have nothing positive to add, don't add.

I do have something positive to add, and it's proper grammar on a forum that's mainly communicated in WRITING.

For anyone that wants to know how those "magical" numbers are calculated for DMPs

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/47743.html

Here are your DMP numbers per WMU:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/30409.html

From what I understand you can call DEC and get more tags if you feel the need.

Now for those that complain about low deer numbers. Don't hunt the deer or only take MATURE bucks if you have to shoot a deer. Do this later in the season to ensure they have bred a doe. Other than that you will need to find another area to hunt. There is no other way around it DEC will do what they want and that is the harsh reality.

Edited by chas0218

For those that feel they have high numbers and need to thin the heard. My father in laws neighbor called DEC and told them the area he hunts (8N) and has no more DMPs left and they sent him 2 more.

when did he do this? 8N had left over's not sure if they are still on the "available" list. Left overs were only supposed to be available at the retail agents. Regardless, you call them for a WMU not on that list and I guarantee you aren't getting them mailed to you.