Will stomach shot be lethal?

marksman

So, some of you have never wounded a deer? Your self restraint and patience were well established on your first hunt? You came out of the gate well trained? Yeah, right. Keep telling yourself that.

So he didn't sugar coat it, or beat around the bush. The guy was honest. It was a bad shot. It happens. He didn't intend to gut shoot the deer.

To the OP, the deer is dead by now. Go look, & look, & look. If / when you find him, thank him for the food he will provide & apologize for making a poor shot. Make your peace within yourself, & disregard the bitch slapping you get on this site. Learn from it & move on. Most of all, when some new hunter tells you about a mistake they made, don't treat them like crap.

• Like 8

So you boys have no problem with a new hunter gut shooting a buck because he shot when it was dark out?  

Already a little dark he says? Meaning prob could not see pins to get a good shot in and just body dark blob body shot and gut shot it??  

Poor shot is one thing but when you add up the whole post it goes a little further than that.  Nobody knows but the hunter that was there and released the arrow but i can tell ya how dark it was in my neck of the woods at 615pm yesterday!

• Like 1

Has anyone encouraged the late shot or poor hit? No. Nobody's saying he made a good choice. I'm saying don't treat the guy like he should go on a registry & have to notify parents of small children when he moves to the neighborhood.

• Like 2

No one is encouraging anything, other than answering his question. You know sometimes when hunting heavy forest it looks a lot darker than along a field. Now the OP said 6:15 now we don't know if he checked his watch after the buck fever was over. You know I think he knows he screwed up, so giving advice is the best thing we could do at this point. If you make him out to be a bad hunter how does that help? Its easy to sit back and scold him, but easier to help him. How many people have little questions they want ask but the born experts will beat up on them. He was honest with what he wrote and asked for HELP. How many new hunters have your comments stopped from visiting or asking a question here? I hope he finds this deer and lives and learns and don't think he has it all knowed up.

• Like 1

It is weird to watch the little feeding frenzies that occur periodically on here. There must be some little surge of personal worth or superiority that people get when they get a chance to lay on the grief to those that have had a lapse of judgment or a stroke of bad luck. I wish I could say that it is all comical, but I see it more as a detriment to the forum.

• Like 6

A little dark in your eyes can be completely different than O.P. A little dark could have very well of been before sunset especially on an overcast day. Why is everyone so quick to chastise a person? Not to mention by the O.P. grammar and spelling they are young around 16 years old I would bet, and a first time hunter.

Nothing like attacking a young kid to push them out of the sport. Give yourselves a pat on the back for being that guy! Give the kid some advice and be on your way. Everyone has made bad shots.

I made a bad shot 2 weeks ago hit a branch on a bedded doe and it got her just in front of her hips arrow stayed in her. Tracked her 1/2 mile with minimal blood and lost her, it happens. That was the first in 8 years we all make mistakes hopefully the kid learned from it.

• Like 5

Has anyone encouraged the late shot or poor hit? No. Nobody's saying he made a good choice. I'm saying don't treat the guy like he should go on a registry & have to notify parents of small children when he moves to the neighborhood.

Agreed but it also should not be overlooked. Sure we all are in agreement that we hope he finds the deer  but you also cant sugarcoat the bad parts of the whole deal and do any justice to a new hunter.

I for one do not believe these wounded/lost and maybe even illegal  posts should even be put up on this site. I think anyone in that kind of need needs to be hooking up or at least talking with a hunter in their area to help them. More of a one on one thing.

Who knows who reads all these posts.

I have no problem giving a guy grief if his irresponsible decisions lead to something like this.....each time I read it I cringe. I say take it down and give him the chance to rewrite his question, leaving out the stuff that makes his actions sound questionable....

If you re-read the thread from the beginning you will see I absolutely never criticized and wouldn't.  I am not concerned on how he shot it or why.  I'm hoping he gets a recovery.  We all have been sickened by a bad shot or lost recovery...  Good Luck...

I wasn't saying everyone but it seems like there are a lot of people on here that just jumped all over the O.P. for giving the details for him to get help for the recovery of the animal. He hasn't done a lot of this bow hunting thing by the sounds of it.

Maybe having a kid of my own now and fully knowing he might make a bad shot when he starts hunting whether not enough experience or deer fever. I don't know maybe I am getting soft with my old age. 

• Like 2

Have not heard back from the OP. Perhaps this was an attempt to stir the pot. I hope that is not the case and he recovers the deer.  But it did stir the pot. What have we all learned from this thread?

some things are better left unsaid?? 

• Like 2

My first bow kill was a stomach shot.  The deer went about 100 yards and laid down.  So I snuck out and left him for 6-7 hours.  He was till there but dead.

my first bow kill was also guts. I was 19 I think and my knees were shaking. It was a nice 7. I was lucky to nick an artery but  because i was dumb and young and my dad was at work I bumped him. Still recovered him many hours later. It was a great lesson learned.

Edited by Belo

Posts like this should almost be taken right off by mod's. New hunter is one thing but this is kinda massed up on many levels. 

Get some friends and grid search for that animal and as was said...Watch and listen to the birds. They will find it before you do.

So you boys have no problem with a new hunter gut shooting a buck because he shot when it was dark out?  

Already a little dark he says? Meaning prob could not see pins to get a good shot in and just body dark blob body shot and gut shot it??  

Poor shot is one thing but when you add up the whole post it goes a little further than that.  Nobody knows but the hunter that was there and released the arrow but i can tell ya how dark it was in my neck of the woods at 615pm yesterday!

he IS a new hunter. he never said it was illegal hours or too dark. There are plenty of darker canopies that offer legal shots that can be made ethically but still offer a challenge versus full blown daylight.

man the seasoned guys here are so quick to forget how hard this sport really is and how difficult it can be.

• Like 3

he IS a new hunter. he never said it was illegal hours or too dark. There are plenty of darker canopies that offer legal shots that can be made ethically but still offer a challenge versus full blown daylight.

man the seasoned guys here are so quick to forget how hard this sport really is and how difficult it can be.

Maybe the law said sunset..I dont know but kid said it was dark. I know today in my neck of the woods it says i have to pack it up before 6pm  Maybe in his woods he can hunt after hours and shoot at bodies if that is in fact what he did.  Find his area..Find his shut down time per the law and let me know?

Maybe the law said sunset..I dont know but kid said it was dark. I know today in my neck of the woods it says i have to pack it up before 6pm  Maybe in his woods he can hunt after hours and shoot at bodies if that is in fact what he did.  Find his area..Find his shut down time per the law and let me know?

I live on L.I. in Suffolk County.....I picked a spot in the middle of the Island and Sunset yesterday was 5:50....little earlier if you went to the far eastern end of the Island.....oh, and his whole post was a disaster the way it was worded.

Edited by jjb4900

he said it was a little dark. Which is a totally relative statement. Even if he did shoot 5 minutes after legal light, he's seen what that can do and hopefully he learns from his mistake. In no way should we condone illegal activity, but maybe just maybe we help to educate instead of chase away?

• Like 1

he said it was a little dark. Which is a totally relative statement. Even if he did shoot 5 minutes after legal light, he's seen what that can do and hopefully he learns from his mistake. In no way should we condone illegal activity, but maybe just maybe we help to educate instead of chase away?

it just sounded like he took a casual, "ah, what the hell" approach to the whole thing, maybe not, maybe he just used a terrible choice of wording in how he explained the whole thing.....pretty sure he was on here last year for a second or two, so I don't think he's brand new to the sport.

I have never seen a group of fellow hunters so fast to throw stones in glass houses, he said he is new to the sport and yes he may are may not of made a poor decision but on the other hand he was only asking for advice what he should do. Not to be criticized for what he has done I have no doubt there or others posting here that have done the same or worse thru there many years of hunting

• Like 1

I have never seen a group of fellow hunters so fast to throw stones in glass houses, he said he is new to the sport and yes he may are may not of made a poor decision but on the other hand he was only asking for advice what he should do. Not to be criticized for what he has done I have no doubt there or others posting here that have done the same or worse thru there many years of hunting

There's a lot of guys out there who take a "could care less" attitude when hunting and looking for wounded deer, and that's what I got out of his narrative......it didn't come across as very responsible. " it was already a little dark. But the buck was close enough. So I give it a shot."...sorry, but that sounds terrible.

Edited by jjb4900