My POV from 8:30 am until 11 am

DirtTime

Ever have one of those days? I just did and the day is only half over.

First I over slept so was late heading out. Driving up north I break a knoll and my truck start's shaking and making a funny thumping noise. I figure flat tire and pull over. Nope. I drive another 200 yards and it's worse. WTF!?? I pull into a lot and look again, check under the hood all is fine. Call my buddy tell him I am heading back home something wrong with my truck. Now it's even worse so I pull into the Dug Out lot and park. Now at least I know where the noise was coming from so I check the front drivers side wheel, yup, it's loose. ALL 5 lugs were loose. Not knowing the full extent I call the g/f let her know where I am and to meet me as I will most likely need a tow. Call roadside assistance. They get there jack up the truck, tighten the lugs, and can't see anything else wrong. I drive it a few laps in the lot and it seems OK, so I "thank" him and the g/f follows me home. Over 40mph it seems to have a shimmy now. Get home call my mechanic and let him know what's up and ask if maybe when he did the brakes a few weeks ago he may have broke something or not fully torqued the lugs. He's cool about it, and says it's possible, that he usually drives the vehicle for a few miles and re-torques but he may have forgotten. Mistakes happen so I understand. But man, it would have really sucked if the wheel had just shot off. I think that was the most nerv racking drive home I have ever made.

So no wheels for a week as he can't get me in until next Saturday.

He said he will do a full check, and lock-tite the studs. I don't think it's the wheel bearing. No more noise, just the shimmy, and only when turning. I think the balance is def. off now. I trust him he's a good mechanic. He just has a habit of keeping my truck for weeks on end. LOL

I was only doing about 50mph when it happened. I don't even want to know what it was like on the 400. Been on the 4 and the 5, people are nuts on those. 

• Like 1

Good mechanic or not... tying up a vehicle for weeks on end must suck.

Find a new mechanic that will get you a quicker turn around.

He's usually good with turnaround. Same or next day. Last fall when I needed him to locate and evap leak it took them time. Smoking didn't show a leak, so they went from tip to tail which took time.

My guess is that the holes in the rim are slightly elongated and possibly need a stud or two.

He replaced a few of the studs when he did my breaks. That's why he said he will restt and lock-tite them. He backs his work. So most likely the only thing I will pay for is the inspection. He's gonna have it anyway so may as well go ahead and get it done.

I was going to use the g/f critter ( that's what I call it ) and go for afternoon evening, until she said she was going shopping. POOF! That idea is gone. She was willing to take me up and drop me off but not come back and get me until tomorrow. My buddy lives in an apartment in his parents house, not real comfy having a sleep over at my age. LOL. If it was warmer at night I would put the quad on and camped out tonight. It's all good, if nothing else I will go look a new area over in the AM tomorrow and hope the rain isn't heavy. I am only missing two days of actual deer hunting.

I can't sweat it too much, $h1t happens. 

• Like 1

This was me last Saturday.

I was parked in a shopping mall and me and my son were asleep in the car while I wife exchanged some stuff.  Afterwards, we drove off and less than half a mile later, I could tell the car was tilted and within seconds, I hear the flub, flub, flub sound and knew I had a flat.  For the air to escape that quickly it had to be a blow out but I didn't feel anything.  I put the donut in and went about my errands.  That night, I didn't have time to work on the tire so my dad said he'll check it out for me.  He called me afterwards and said there was a 1 and half to 2 inch fine cut on the side of the tire as if someone had stabbed it with a knife.  New tire wouldn't be in till Tuesday.

Had plans to hunt that Sunday but ended up staying home.  Wasn't going to drive all the way out there and then off road on a donut.

post-789-0-51824600-1446319445_thumb.jpg

Never drove on gravel or a dirt road, but when I lived in Rochester for 3 years I had a "plague" of flat tires every month or two. Brand new tires and they always seem to get holes in them that void the warranty, holes right at the rim. Without going into the whole BS story ( I knew who was doing it, dude upstairs ), I got tired of it. I drove for three months on a donut. One morning I go out for work and low and behold, a nail in the side of the tire at the rim. The idiot used a grip nail and couldn't get it out. Had it towed and bought 2 new tires. When the x-g/f said she needed more money cause her DB x-hubby didn't make his support payment I said "No can do. when your x-daddy in law stops f****** up my tires I might have more money!".

Funny how the next flat I got was when I said I was leaving Rottenchester. Almost 3 years later. LOL

Im glad you pulled over and were able to figure it out and stayed safe about 8 years ago I was going down the 33 heading to Cheektowaga for a job interview and my explorer started to shake I.pulled over looked it over can't find anything drive to the interview with it still shaking come out from the interview kick the tires look it over don't see anything wrong I should a felt the lug nuts I got back.on the 33 just passing the 290 entrance I'm doing around 65mph when all of a sudden the front diver side tire goes flying off right across the other side of the rd thank god it didn't hit anyone by the time I stop I don't have much left to my rotor the guy that was behind me ran up to my window yelling are you ok how did you stop without flipping lol

He was all sorts of nervous and worked up some how I was cool and calm and didn't shake until After the tow truck came.

Before the tow truck got there a cop pulled up and said if you can find your tire you.can put it back on and leave yea right all of my.lug nuts are gone and the tire is no where to be found

He said he will do a full check, and lock-tite the studs. I don't think it's the wheel bearing. No more noise, just the shimmy, and only when turning. I think the balance is def. off now. I trust him he's a good mechanic. He just has a habit of keeping my truck for weeks on end. LOL

I was only doing about 50mph when it happened. I don't even want to know what it was like on the 400. Been on the 4 and the 5, people are nuts on those.

Loc-tite on wheel lugs? Kidding right?

I've never had a properly torqued lug come undone, let alone an entire wheel of 5 lugs! 80ft-lbs and I'm good to go!

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

• Like 1

Im glad you pulled over and were able to figure it out and stayed safe about 8 years ago I was going down the 33 heading to Cheektowaga for a job interview and my explorer started to shake I.pulled over looked it over can't find anything drive to the interview with it still shaking come out from the interview kick the tires look it over don't see anything wrong I should a felt the lug nuts I got back.on the 33 just passing the 290 entrance I'm doing around 65mph when all of a sudden the front diver side tire goes flying off right across the other side of the rd thank god it didn't hit anyone by the time I stop I don't have much left to my rotor the guy that was behind me ran up to my window yelling are you ok how did you stop without flipping lol

He was all sorts of nervous and worked up some how I was cool and calm and didn't shake until After the tow truck came.

Before the tow truck got there a cop pulled up and said if you can find your tire you.can put it back on and leave yea right all of my.lug nuts are gone and the tire is no where to be found

Seen lots of crazy stuff on the road, lots similar to yours. I've also seen where entire knuckles were torn off from their ball joints.

I have a few stories of my own, but most of them were foolish incidents that I was fully aware of the consequences and took the risks anyway. Living on the edge is always fun, until you fall off. Good times.

Glad you're still around to tell the story.

• Like 1

I've never had a properly torqued lug come undone, let alone an entire wheel of 5 lugs! 80ft-lbs and I'm good to go!

You didn't read the whole thing. Not the lugs, the studs/posts. Ya know, the "that thingy" . "whatchamacallit" the lugs are screwed onto.  :rolleyes:

I know I was very lucky. That whole thing could have gone wrong in a bad bad way.

You didn't read the whole thing. Not the lugs, the studs/posts. Ya know, the "that thingy" . "whatchamacallit" the lugs are screwed onto. :rolleyes:

I know I was very lucky. That whole thing could have gone wrong in a bad bad way.

Ahh, gotcha! But still, weird place to be putting loc-tite as those studs are pressed on....

Anyway, I'm sure he'll take care of ya.

In a pinch, you can take some lug nuts from each of the other three "good" wheels.

ALWAYS watch where that flying tire goes, maybe you can save a tow. :)

• Like 2

In a pinch, you can take some lug nuts from each of the other three "good" wheels.

ALWAYS watch where that flying tire goes, maybe you can save a tow. :)

. I honestly searched for that tire for a good 10 minutes I seen it go across the thruway and lost it after it hit the other side I searched threw the tall grass and over a fence in a backyard. I honestly was so thankful that the tire didn't hit anyone that was the only pay that scared the $hit out of me.
  • Like 1

Never drove on gravel or a dirt road, but when I lived in Rochester for 3 years I had a "plague" of flat tires every month or two. Brand new tires and they always seem to get holes in them that void the warranty, holes right at the rim. Without going into the whole BS story ( I knew who was doing it, dude upstairs ), I got tired of it. I drove for three months on a donut. One morning I go out for work and low and behold, a nail in the side of the tire at the rim. The idiot used a grip nail and couldn't get it out. Had it towed and bought 2 new tires. When the x-g/f said she needed more money cause her DB x-hubby didn't make his support payment I said "No can do. when your x-daddy in law stops f****** up my tires I might have more money!".

Funny how the next flat I got was when I said I was leaving Rottenchester. Almost 3 years later. LOL

the more stories you tell, the better a picture you paint of who you are.

• Like 1

You beat me to it. If a mechanic was talking about putting Loc-Tite on my lugs, Id take it to another mechanic. Hes a hack.

If you know how lugs go into your hub, youd know why Loc-Tite wouldnt do a damn bit of good anyhow, as they dont thread in, they have a spline on them and the spline digs into the holes in the hub.