Deerthug's 2015 Hunting Journal

Deerthug

Due to family and work obligations throughout October and half of November, the first time I had the opportunity to go hunting was on 11/21/15, opening day for firearm in southern zone. It was also the first time for my son going deer hunting.

We drove up on Friday afternoon meeting my brother in laws and my inlaws at the house.  My son and I went out to set up our blind on the edge of a cut corn field at the corner of our property. We got back to the cabin within 15 minutes of setting up as I did not want to spend unnecessary time in the field and did not want to spook any deer. 

Friday night started out with the traditional "opening day eve" dinner consisting of tripe sauteed in tomato sauce, garlic and vegetables. I never thought my 14 year old son would eat it but he ate everything and licked the bowl. 

Saturday morning (opening day) the alarm rings at 5:00AM.  Coffee is brewed and after a couple of cups of coffee and a quick breakfast we suit up and head out making the long 400 yard trek :cheese: to the blind. At 6:15AM we are settled in and wait.  

We sat there watching and listening to the woods wake up. There was no wind, and it was cool but not terribly cold. The skies were clear and the stars were out. 

As we sat there, at about 7:20 AM I noticed a deer come out from high thick brush across the cut corn field directly across from where we were sitting. This was about 50 yards or so. It starts walking along the edge of the brush toward our right stopping and sniffing the air every other step. I grab my binos and see that it is a small 6 pt.  I whisper to my son get yourself ready. We watch this buck continue along toward our right and about to turn back into the brush, so I grab my grunt call and let out a few grunts. He stops dead in his tracks. I let out a few more grunts and he makes a 180 degree turn and starts walking toward us at an angle. He steps out into the cut corn field and stops at about 60 yards from us at a quartering away angle while looking in our direction.  I whisper again to my son, if you feel ready take the shot. The buck stood there for about 20 secs presenting him a perfect shot.

My son squeezes the trigger and the buck kicks and runs into the thick brush. I'm thinking it was not such a good shot as the deer just trotted away disappearing into the thicket. My son starts shaking at that point as we sit there a few minutes to let it sink in for him.  He tells me that he panicked when the buck came out of the thicket but was able to calm down aimed small and took the shot. It was after he squeezed the trigger and the buck ran off that he got buck fever . . . go figure!

Now given the fact that there were others in our group out there hunting and so as not to spook any chances of their taking a deer, we sat and waited. We continued to wait all the while I'm playing the scenario in my mind over and over again wondering if he got a good shot on him. Now we waited for about 1 1/4 hours. How did I keep him from running out after the deer you ask? Well, Iphone games of course. 

Finally at 8:45 my BIL comes down off the tree and walks to another stand closer to where the buck ran into the thicket and climbs up. Scopes the area to look for any other deer that may be in the thicket and waves us on to go search. 

My son and I grab our rifles and head out to the point where he was standing when he was shot. We see no sign of blood and I start to worry if my son connected. We find a well used trail heading into the thicket and we proceed to follow it. We start walking about 10 - 15 yards into the trail still not seeing blood when my son shouts out and points to a splatter of blood on our right. We take some more steps and find another area of more blood and then a few more steps and then off to our right we see the white belly of the deer. We walk up to and without saying a word my son kneels down and thanks God for the opportunity to take this fine animal. We take a few pictures and my brother in law comes down and helps us drag it into the corn field. We tag him and wait for my BIL to get the tractor so we can bring him back to the house for processing. 

After gutting and skinning him (and yes I made my son help me do it much to his dismay and with comments like "how can you hold its poop shoot like that?" and "How can you just stick your hands in his body and pull out the guts?")  I told him that shooting it is the easy part and that this part of the hunt is showing respect for the animal so that we can use and consume it. He smiled and got his hands in there with me. 

Saturday afternoon's sit was not as successful as the morning hunt and we saw nothing moving. Sunday morning's sit was also uneventful given the fact that there was thick fog across the property and we could not see that far in front of us.  

Nevertheless, I would say it was a successful opening weekend for my son as no one else including myself connected opening weekend. 

I think the smile says it all. 

post-1257-0-00399400-1448302999_thumb.jp

post-1257-0-68344000-1448303012_thumb.jp

He's already asking to go back up this weekend!  I think he's addicted!

More importantly I may have created a monster and a hunting buddy for life!!  :clapping:  

• Like 10

Thug,

Great story and more importantly the greatest of great memories.  Yes you may have created a monster, but it is hard to beat having him as a life long hunting partner.  Again great job by both of you and maybe you should ask everyone for a camp apron for your next birthday.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Poppy

• Like 1

congrats! thanks for sharing. did you happen to get any pictures of the sun set sunday night?

i

Thanks! Unfortunately we had to leave yesterday morning for home. Had other obligations to attend to last night. My son's friend was receiving his Eagle Scout award last night and we had to be there in support.

• 2 weeks later...

Back up at the cabin for an afternoon sit. In my ground blind by myself this time as my son did not want to join me this weekend. It's 50 degrees here in Germantown, no wind and eerily quiet except for an occasional chirping. I hope they start to move soon....

- Deerthug

Hey Thug,

Let's see;  1st day son gets a 6 pointer, later on wife gets a 6 pointer, it only seems fair that you get one also.  It has been very quiet here on the farm.  Very few deer seen, I only saw 5 all season and now it looks like my season is over with.  Got sick Friday night, raspy cough, stuffed up sinuses, coughing up lots of nasty looking stuff.  Pretty sure it is pneumonia.  Will head to my doctor tomorrow, but regardless of what he says, the wifey is not going to let me outside until I'm better, unless it is take her shopping.

I enjoyed tracking your season and  again congrats to your son.  I will look forward to some more good reads from you next season.  Stay healthy and have a great holiday season.

Poppy