Winchester vs Nosler Balistic Tip

Five Seasons

I'm searching for some ammo to try in my new 30-06. I understand a gun will pick what it likes, but I need a place to start.

Seems I can't go wrong with reminging cor-lok, and the hornady whitetail has me intrigued with good reviews.

I noticed the nosler is some higher end ammo. I honestly will site in the gun and maybe shoot it a few times a year, so cost is not a huge concern of mine. Winchester touts nosler's technology and is more expensive

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/ammunition/rifle-ammunition|/pc/104792580/c/104691780/sc/104532480/winchester-reg-ballistic-silvertip-174-rifle-ammunition/739976.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Frifle-ammunition%2Fwinchester%2F_%2FN-1100190%2B1000005171%2B4294758211%2FNe-1000005171%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104532480%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/ammunition/rifle-ammunition|/pc/104792580/c/104691780/sc/104532480/nosler-174-ballistic-tip-174-ammunition/1909571.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Frifle-ammunition%2Fnosler%2F_%2FN-1100190%2B1000004164%2B4294758211%2FNe-1000004164%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104532480%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU

anyone have a preference or insight?

I say start with the cheapest and work your way up until you find one that flies well out of your rifle. Any factory bullet, designed for deer hunting, will kill deer just as good as another.

I tried the Hornady Whitetail out of my new 25-06 and my old 30-06. They both fly great. $19.99 on sale. Normal price is about $25

• Like 1

Distance, game, and group size would determine the ammo you should use.

Long range ammo would benefit from using boat tails.

Larger game animals would benefit from bonded or partitioned style bullets.

If you're mainly after whitetail and generally double lung, a bonded or partitioned bullet is not necessary, or desired. You'll probably want something with a bit more expansion.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

It really is overthinking. Buy boxes of the rounds you are interested in, and shoot them. Any empirical or situational evidence (pics of targets from other hunters guns) is pretty useless for you.

What the gun throws well to your liking and is made of a competent structure, is what you should go after. People can split atoms when it comes to loads, bonded vs. not, etc. and so on and so forth.

Chances are if it hitting the bullseye and grouping well for you over the scenarios you'll be using it, it will kill the deer.

• Like 3

How far do you intend on shooting ?. If typical woods hunting 50 - 100 yards I would stay with  the Soft point Core locks.

There are some 200 yard pokes where I hunt. Ideally I'd prefer something with more knockdown power, expansion then I would with anything being a fraction more accurate over 200 yards. But truth be told, majority of the shots will be under 60.

It really is overthinking. Buy boxes of the rounds you are interested in, and shoot them. Any empirical or situational evidence (pics of targets from other hunters guns) is pretty useless for you.

What the gun throws well to your liking and is made of a competent structure, is what you should go after. People can split atoms when it comes to loads, bonded vs. not, etc. and so on and so forth.

Chances are if it hitting the bullseye and grouping well for you over the scenarios you'll be using it, it will kill the deer.

yeah i'm with you. it really is inconsequential and I get that. There's a chance someday I head out west and would prefer to be GTG though. I really don't want to spend $200 in ammo either if one of the first loads I try is accurate I'll be happy.

Not on your list but I have been extremely impressed with barnes bullets. Before I started shooting them I shot Winchester silver tips with great results. Accuracy should be second to terminal performance.

I believe the level of precision and accuracy desired is relative to the individual shooter. If you can hit your mark every time, yes, terminal performance is desirable, but only after the shooter have met his accuracy requirements of hitting his target.

One can't determine acceptable accuracy without setting limits such as distance and target size.

So back to the OP in terms of distance, 200 yards and beyond are a possibility on deer sized game. While at this distance, almost any bullet should perform within limits on a broadside double lung target, the issue for accuracy begins when he's not presented with a broadside, but with a quartering or frontal shot.

Bottom line is there's no one bullet that does it all, but by identifying your limitations, one can find a suitable bullet for their needs.

Edited by shawnhu

I have been using Barnes bullets for 6 years and im very please with my results. Accuracy is sub MOA and the damage done to deer is second to none! Most deer are either dropped on the spot or run a maximum of 40-50 yards. The last deer I shot was a quartering away shot so bullet penetrated about 24" inches and had enough energy to exit next to the shoulder. No doubt they're pricey but worth it IMO. Check out Barnes Vor-Tx if you can. 

I believe the level of precision and accuracy desired is relative to the individual shooter. If you can hit your mark every time, yes, terminal performance is desirable, but only after the shooter have met his accuracy requirements of hitting his target.

One can't determine acceptable accuracy without setting limits such as distance and target size.

So back to the OP in terms of distance, 200 yards and beyond are a possibility on deer sized game. While at this distance, almost any bullet should perform within limits on a broadside double lung target, the issue for accuracy begins when he's not presented with a broadside, but with a quartering or frontal shot.

Bottom line is there's no one bullet that does it all, but by identifying your limitations, once can find a suitable bullet for their needs.

With a 200yd max range anything under a 3"

Group at 100yds would be more than adequate. Getting a bullet to the spot is only a part of the battle what the bullet does when it gets there is what kills.

I have been using Barnes bullets for 6 years and im very please with my results. Accuracy is sub MOA and the damage done to deer is second to none! Most deer are either dropped on the spot or run a maximum of 40-50 yards. The last deer I shot was a quartering away shot so bullet penetrated about 24" inches and had enough energy to exit next to the shoulder. No doubt they're pricey but worth it IMO. Check out Barnes Vor-Tx if you can. 

isn't barnes copper only? I've heard different things about copper over the years. some good some bad. other than environmental, what are the pros?

isn't barnes copper only? I've heard different things about copper over the years. some good some bad. other than environmental, what are the pros?

Yes they are 100 percent copper bullets. Aside from the environmental benefits of using copper, they are safer for you family as well. I know people have been eating game shot with lead for many years but why should you ingest lead if a perfectly fine substitute is available? They also penetrate better and have a near 100% weight retention so you can use lighter weight bullets and still get the same performance out of a lead bullet. I find that the controlled expansion, expands very well and leave huge exit and sometime a huge entrance wound. They are also extremely accurate in many of the guns I have seen them shot out of. I'll attach a picture of the entrance wound of the buck I shot last weekend. 3338d9488f1ae8a7947f67b0e08bf0eb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's been 7 years now that I use Barnes TSX or TTSX, and they leave really large holes, making for a lot of punch. It's the weight retention that seems to do it, and the shape it takes upon impact, kinda like four peeled-back, very sharp petals. I'm colorblind and have a difficult go at tracking, so those bullets (along with patience and proper shot placement) help me drop deer on the spot.

Plus you're not feeding lead to the little ones.

The 2 biggest positives to a solid bullet are

-controlled expansion at a wide variety of velocities

-weight retention

With a solid bullet you don't have to depend on 2 or more types of metals staying connected during expansion "jacket separation" this is the main reason for the weight retention of a solid bullet. And you do not have to worry about hitting with enough force for the core to break open a jacket and not getting expansion.

• Like 1

wow, I know I said price wasn't a big deal but those barnes aren't cheap. I guess it's still nothing compared to $20 a box lightfields but still.

The only downfall of this bullet. Buying loaded ammo is about 2 bucks around which isn't bad if you compare it to slugs but it's still quite the hit to the wallet. It's worth every cent of you ask me. Price goes down if you load the ammo yourself though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk