Tag soup

Dom

I got a road kill this year. 1st one ever. Guy in front of me smashed a doe. Cop finished the doe, and helped me load it into my truck.

How was it?I myself stop and cut tails of of squirrels that have been hit by cars.

I took the deer to the butcher 2 hours after the cop put 2 slugs into her. I got 25lbs of venison. Happened just off RT17. I know the area well, as I clipped a deer there 3 years ago, same spot. It's a funnel where all the deer cross the road.

The car in front of me had minor hood damage. The driver was stunned, but ok. The deer was crippled, hind legs were paralyzed. She was trying to escape with just the 2 fronts, and I knew the cop had to finish her. He chose his slug gun over his pistol for some reason. And he put 2 rounds into her. 1 went through the back-strap.

If it ever happens to you, make sure you ask the cop to do a head shot. I realized it afterwards.

This happened when I was driving home from my hunting spot. Didn't see any deer in the woods... But I'm glad it worked out, and glad the cop had disposal tags. I would have used one of my tags anyway. But he had the tags with him.

• Like 1

Not seeing deer? I talked to a farmer yesterday , he said his family normally get 8-10 der a yr. & they use all the meat so far this season they only have 3 & are not seeing many. He told me his neighbor shot 17 deer during the summer on a nuisance permit & just threw them over the bank! He was pi$$ed, & what a waste ! I say do away with the nuisance permits or make the users show their results & donate the deer to the food pantries.

Nuisance permits are a horrible thing! Just a waste. Not very keen on the idea but people filling tags just to donate a food pantry. Better, but still uneasy about it.

• Like 1

Nuisance permits are a horrible thing! Just a waste. Not very keen on the idea but people filling tags just to donate a food pantry. Better, but still uneasy about it.

I'm not a big fan of either myself....but have killed deer on a nuisance permit, because as the farmer told me "if you don't do it someone else will".....and at least I put them to good use.

• Like 1

Agreed. I know of farmers who intentionally gut shoot them, so they'll run off & don't burn up the tag. There should be some kind of accountability, if these tags exist at all. I heard that in PA, the only way to get the nuisance permits is after you open your land to hunting. Let's see that happen here. Ya, right.

Do you sell them to Mepps? We send them a bunch every year. They don't pay much, but it's better than wasting them.

You can still sent tails to Mepps??!!!! We did that as kids, with squirrels we shot with our BB guns. I think the most we ever got was like 2 bucks..LOL!!

Yes. They send me a card asking for tails every year. We've got about 30 to send so far this year, hopefully I'll have more, by the time I send them in (after squirrel season ends). They pay around $0.25 (I think) per premium Grey tail. Less for Reds, or tails that aren't prime.

Edited by Skillet

Do you sell them to Mepps? We send them a bunch every year. They don't pay much, but it's better than wasting them.

Yes I do and also tie my own fly's with them.6 per day limit by hunting laws/regulations is an extra 200.00 a season.Better than tossing in the compost pile.

I used to tie lots of flies, I liked to make elk hair caddis from deer I shot and pheasant tail nymphs from turkeys. It's rewarding catching fish on them. I sort of lost time/patience for it when my kids came along

I am in that spot now...used to tie alot now with kids don't want or have time to get out....probably end up with feathers all over house lol

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

23 deer seasons and this is the first one for myself with no kills/shots.What a tough season.I did enjoy my time in the woods with family and friends no shots means more ammo for next season.Congrat's to all who connected and enjoy your harvests.

• Like 1

Tag soup here as well. Rifle is cleaned and put away. Wasn't for lack of trying, or not seeing deer. Just didn't see many bucks. I let a legal spike walk second week of NZ, I knew as I did it I would regret it. Jumped a few while walking and no shot. Saw doe's and yearling's out the wazoo, no bow tag this year and no DMP's.

I am OK with my season, learned a few things and enjoyed just being out there. Did I kill a deer, no. But I sure had fun trying!