NY is #1 Worst State to Hunt Whitetails

Renegade Hunter

We certainly don't need NYS government running the show when it comes to hunting ,they have proven time and time again that everything they get involved with turns into a cluster of junk. It should be dictated by each and every sportsman who pays to hunt and does their part ,the TV shows have mucked up the waters for what hunting started out as.

Edited by Jeremy K
  • Like 2

If NY was such a good whitetail state, there would be at least 1 very successful outfitter in the state. I don't know of any outfitters in NY who are having clients shoot big bucks year in and year out like many other states in the Midwest and even down south.

Separately, does anyone have access to pope and young or b & c record books?

I don't, but would be curious to see how NY stacks up against other states as far as entries each year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seriously, you need to expand your hunting grounds from your traditional 8 acres in Putnam. I give you credit though, I would have given up hunting long ago if I were in your shoes...

If you are talking numbers, I had three gross 150 class deer killed on places that I hunt this season. Not bad for NY, but definately not midwestern stats.

• Like 4

Not everyone cares about a trophy. Shoot what you're happy with and let everyone else do the same. This shove trophy hunting down everyone's throat is ruining the sport. I too let all 1.5 yr old bucks walk and I don't always kill a buck every year as I hunt only state land but I'm certainly not going to begrudge someone else the right to shoot a 1.5 yr old buck if its legal.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

:popcorn2:

If i were to hear the worst deer hunting state, i would think florida along with many other states that would fall well behind NYS rank.. I do agree this state could possibly do better at managing the population. If NY did exactly what ohio or iowa does in managing... we would have the same results, but your only seeing there"good/great" bucks killed. im sure there are a ton of small bucks getting killed as well. i do not know the rules and regs for those states .. but for what NYS deer hunting rules and regs are right now, and people still kill a ton of P&Y and some B&C bucks... doesnt seem all that bad to me.. theres access to land everywhere.. you may have to travel to get there but theres access around...

You guys can say bull to whatever you want, but the facts are what they are. Shorter seasons, etc might lead to "better" hunting, but we will never be Iowa, Ohio, etc. Certain portions of the state may come close, because those areas have better soil conditions, but there are other factors. Hunting pressure, number of hunters, the land is broken into relatively small parcels, farms being broken up, overly mature woods, the DEC does squat for land management, etc. Even if we change the things that we can, and do exactly what those other states do, the majority of NY will never come close.

Then lets add in that, as has been said, trophy bucks arent everyones idea of good hunting. Im more picky than some about what I shoot, but who am I to tell someone that the things I value about hunting are the same things they should value about hunting? Ill talk to them and point out the benefits, and why I believe them to be benefits, plus Ill point them in the right direction for information, then just leave it at that and they can decide for themselves if its important to them or not. Im not into shoving my agenda down anyones throat.

• Like 3

Then lets add in that, as has been said, trophy bucks arent everyones idea of good hunting. Im more picky than some about what I shoot, but who am I to tell someone that the things I value about hunting are the same things they should value about hunting? Ill talk to them and point out the benefits, and why I believe them to be benefits, plus Ill point them in the right direction for information, then just leave it at that and they can decide for themselves if its important to them or not. Im not into shoving my agenda down anyones throat.

This is the same as i do. im happy for what anyone wants to harvest. You work your life away, pay taxes, pay more... etc.. harvest what you like as long as its legally taken, i have no care, maybe share my beliefs and some info as well if requested.. other than that.. ill keep doing as i do, and they the same..

well said..  

• Like 1

Seriously, you need to expand your hunting grounds from your traditional 8 acres in Putnam. I give you credit though, I would have given up hunting long ago if I were in your shoes...

If you are talking numbers, I had three gross 150 class deer killed on places that I hunt this season. Not bad for NY, but definately not midwestern stats.

Why would I want to travel far everyday to hunt? I deer hunt in NY 1 day per week a few miles from my house. I wouldn't want to travel hours each way everytime to hunt public land upstate. I have no issue knowing I'll never shoot a booner in NY. I'll take an 80 inch 8pt in my area just as much as I would take 130 inch 8 pt from a food plot on prime private land in western NY. I'm not complaining about NY not being a trophy state, I'm just stating the facts that it is not anywhere close to on par with other whitetail states.

• Like 2

If i were to hear the worst deer hunting state, i would think florida along with many other states that would fall well behind NYS rank.. I do agree this state could possibly do better at managing the population. If NY did exactly what ohio or iowa does in managing... we would have the same results, but your only seeing there"good/great" bucks killed. im sure there are a ton of small bucks getting killed as well. i do not know the rules and regs for those states .. but for what NYS deer hunting rules and regs are right now, and people still kill a ton of P&Y and some B&C bucks... doesnt seem all that bad to me.. theres access to land everywhere.. you may have to travel to get there but theres access around...

I can speak of Ohio as that's the only "big buck" state that I have hunted and the short gun season certainly helps but the locals at least around my lease shoot the first 3 deer they see on opening day. If it's a spike they don't care. And many of them shoot the second 3 deer they see for their wives tags as well and openly admit it. I don't think you can say it's all about the management, it has a lot to do with genes and nutrition.

Why would I want to travel far everyday to hunt? I deer hunt in NY 1 day per week a few miles from my house. I wouldn't want to travel hours each way everytime to hunt public land upstate. I have no issue knowing I'll never shoot a booner in NY. I'll take an 80 inch 8pt in my area just as much as I would take 130 inch 8 pt from a food plot on prime private land in western NY. I'm not complaining about NY not being a trophy state, I'm just stating the facts that it is not anywhere close to on par with other whitetail states.

I may hunt in one of the "better" counties in the state for deer...it is private land...but FAR from being "managed" for big bucks. I have no food plots and no exclusive hunting rights to any of it. It's as "real world" as hunting gets in NYS and most bucks get killed off at 1.5 to 2.5 which is on par with the rest of the state. Anything that lives older has done it entirely on it's own survival abilities...

• Like 2

Moose..... thats a great deer...no doubt! I have to say I have some great deer running around in my area here in NY as well...and we have another member here who's deer in his area just south of me put these to shame...I just prefer to know my hunts give back to me what I put into them ...I may not kill these big ones...but my efforts helped to put them in front of the lens and in the area...That is where my "hunts" start,and makes the hunting "successful", No matter what I shoot.

Now thats been one of NYS biggest problems and it's a state wide problem going back to party permits umpteen years ago.

And every state has the same problem. Idiots in every state, so to speak.

It's like saying people from a certain geographical region are less likely to enter in the books. They have nothing to base this on other than their really freaking small personal observation, which is much more likely to the be the same if you were to pick up and move to Athens, Ohio, or Buffalo County, WI, or Zone 5 in Iowa...there is nothing compelling hunters like a unified conspiracy to not submit to the books within a certain area.

People think their area is always exception to the rule.

• Like 2

I may hunt in one of the "better" counties in the state for deer...it is private land...but FAR from being "managed" for big bucks. I have no food plots and no exclusive hunting rights to any of it. It's as "real world" as hunting gets in NYS and most bucks get killed off at 1.5 to 2.5 which is on par with the rest of the state. Anything that lives older has done it entirely on it's own survival abilities...

My good friend has a camp in this exact area as well, Not lying at all about being "un" managed for deer. As for my area in Steuben we have many pieces that manage, but many that dont as well. still a good share of P&Y bucks to go around.. A mature southern tier buck, i believe, is one of the hardest to kill throughout the state,(big woods, lack of housing tracks) so i love to challenge myself at harvesting a mature whitetail in this state, given the fact of any deer is legal provided the season..but i live for the challenge, not everyone does.. if anyone ever gets the pleasure to talk to charlie alsheimer, ask his opinion on that. That coming from a man who has hunted around the country.. 

Now thats been one of NYS biggest problems and it's a state wide problem going back to party permits umpteen years ago.

I don't think the illegal take in NY is anywhere near as much as some think it is but it's very hard to know for sure. I can tell you that the worst management aspect of NY is too long of a gun season. If it was shortened to 1 or 2 weeks and away from the rut it would not take very long to start seeing changes. I'm not saying I'm for it because it would hurt a lot of people's hunting. It's tough for some to get vacation during an 8 week NZ season let alone a 1 week season.

• Like 1

I don't think the illegal take in NY is anywhere near as much as some think it is but it's very hard to know for sure. I can tell you that the worst management aspect of NY is too long of a gun season. If it was shortened to 1 or 2 weeks and away from the rut it would not take very long to start seeing changes. I'm not saying I'm for it because it would hurt a lot of people's hunting. It's tough for some to get vacation during an 8 week NZ season let alone a 1 week season.

I am of the same mindset. The only thing that puzzles me is how states like WI and other short gun season places, hunters there don't seem to have the same issues with getting the time off.

• Like 1

Yes the same thing happens in Ohio. As long as it is legal there is not much than can be done about that. may be one day  the state may have stricter laws .

The difference is that when you give outlaws 8 weeks to break the law the numbers add up. That is not doe numbers, Thats how many extra hundreds-Thousands of young bucks taken out. The ones that i know that do it or have done it take the first antlered buck they see and the old lady's tag goes on it and then they hold theirs for the rut and a bigger buck.

Shorten the season and shorten the crimes.Which in turn saves lives. You can still shoot little bucks if thats your choice but you only have 10 days to do so.

• Like 5

Went to Iowa this year the second week of November for a bow hunt. This is my third time going New York is not even close to Iowa as importance of deer and deer management. If you go you will never want to come home. Also figure how New York could have it if we did it right. I was successful mid 140's but really happy it dressed out at 240lbs..... Third times a charm saw bigger but second to last day and was not coming home empty hand the third time.

Did you have draw a tag if so how long did it take you?

I know a few on here say we cant be like Ohio.Illy Kansas and such but i say bull to that, No guns in rut. Shorten the seasons. Have doe dates and Nyb would grow some huge bucks. Look atbthe ones that were taken this year on Antlers site and i know of a few brutes i saw that would have fit well on that page. Feed them and give them some age and look out!

You are so right. Also just need to stop taking small bucks. But we know how that debate goes.

If NY was such a good whitetail state, there would be at least 1 very successful outfitter in the state. I don't know of any outfitters in NY who are having clients shoot big bucks year in and year out like many other states in the Midwest and even down south.

Separately, does anyone have access to pope and young or b & c record books?

I don't, but would be curious to see how NY stacks up against other states as far as entries each year.

I have a pope and young book there sure isn't mean in there from ny. When the new comes out I'll tell you how many are in there. Mine is one of the few from ny in there
  • Like 1

I have a pope and young book there sure isn't mean in there from ny. When the new comes out I'll tell you how many are in there. Mine is one of the few from ny in there

Thats not really a good way to figure that part out. For every buck entered there are probably 2 that are not. I know a few on here say they dont and i could show ya 4 taken in Ny and never booked. Ny does pretty good but i think has what it takes to do great!

Thats not really a good way to figure that part out. For every buck entered there are probably 2 that are not. I know a few on here say they dont and i could show ya 4 taken in Ny and never booked. Ny does pretty good but i think has what it takes to do great!

I'm sure that's the case with every state. Guys not entering their bucks.

• Like 2

No your right it's definitely not the best way.