2015 unrecovered...

wooly

Off to a bad start this shed season. Gonna be lots of dead deer laying around since we didn't have any snow for 99% of the season.

I started wandering around a little more near the end of ML season and it didn't take long to start finding some unrecovered casualties from the 2015.

My first find was a little spiker that was already reduced to a skeleton by the critters. I just sawed off his headgear.

Shortly after that I discovered a 1/2 rack 4pt that couldn't have been laying there too long by the looks of him. Pretty nice buck for a 2pt.

DSC_0089_zpsqsb2kgjq.jpg

DSC_0095_zpsx3jj1yh7.jpg

Wednesday I got out for a quick afternoon hike and found a buck I was really looking forward to killing myself, or seeing next season. Unfortunately neither of those happened. He was piled up with an arrow sticking out of his guts just in front of his hind leg. I saw this guy a few times after I already filled my archery buck tag so he got to walk. Hate to see him this way, but this is one skull I really wanted and I'm glad I found him before the yotes chewed his face off.

I'm afraid to see what else will be laying around out there this year at this rate.

original.jpg

DSC_0004_zps09kckfob.jpg

• Like 4

That's a shame. What kind of acreage did you find these on ?

These were all laying on my neighbors 150 acres. I'm still not done looking here.

He's not to blame though. He wont shoot at anything under 130" and has a wall of proof of that.

That last one has a cool rack

That's why I wanted him. He's the tallest 6pt I've ever found

His body looked like a midget deer but the burr around his bases was as big as a pancake.

I thought he was a fawn until I plucked his head out of the brush. Then I just got sad I wouldn't be able to follow up on him anymore.

I really think he was just a sweet 1.5 yo.

He shoots some expensive arrows. Sorry to see he was gut shot and unrecovered.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Lol- yeah, unfortunately you can't put a price tag on skill no matter how much your arrows and broadheads cost.

Bad shots happen to everyone but this guy has a really bad "shot to harvest ratio" from what I've seen over the years.

Lol- yeah, unfortunately you can't put a price tag on skill no matter how much your arrows and broadheads cost.

Bad shots happen to everyone but this guy has a really bad "shot to harvest ratio" from what I've seen over the years.

So very true Matt. If anything, it's generally the opposite that I tend to notice, the more humble the equipment, the more work the hunter generally puts in to ensure a clean kill. Just an observation.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I believe that I too added a nice buck to the the unrecovered list. I shot at one the evening before Thanksgiving. Everything happened so quickly...he showed no reaction to the shot and I found no blood but I can't believe I could have missed at 80 yds. When I went to where he had entered the woods a few minutes after taking the shot a deer jumped up and crashed off. I came back a couple hours later and then the following morning but no luck. Then, on the final day of season my uncle found a dead 10-pt. in the same vicinity a couple hundred yards from where I was looking. I believe that it was the same deer.

• Like 1