Ticked off my SIL...

Fade in.

The family is sitting around the dinner table after the Christmas feast, discussing current events, and having some laughs.

The youngest person in the room is 20 yo, and it's a pretty intelligent group of doctors, dentists, nurses, college students, etc.

The subject of gun control comes up and my SIL makes a comment: "Only a crazy person would think they need to carry a gun everywhere they go."

Without really thinking, I made the mistake of saying: "I'm not crazy, but I'm carrying a gun right now."  Oops.

SIL kind of flipped out, like I was somehow an immediate threat. She's a school teacher, btw.

She asked to see it, and I told her no. (I wasn't going to make it worse.)

She asked me why I was carrying and I told her it's like putting on socks in the morning, I don't give it much thought any more.

Things mostly returned to normal for the evening, except for the icy stare-daggers from the SIL.

My brother called me last night to say they had made it back to New Hampshire okay after their holiday excursion.

He chuckled when he let me know that his wife is still seriously pi***d at me. He's a family psychologist, so he'll work it out.

• Like 5

Tell her, "Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it."

Old boy scout preparedness training.  Can't undo it.

"Be Prepared"

School teacher?  You would think with all the recent school shootings, she'd be carrying one herself.

Ask her if she has a fire extinguisher at home.  If she does, ask her why.

Edited by Mr VJP

The problem with that ...is how these type of ppl build things up in their heads...then it would only take one "off" comment to get them to make a call to NYS ...Causing some undue nasty consequences for the gun owner. In their minds it is for the owner and the family's own safety,they are doing the "right thing".....I personally avoid sticking my finger into hornet nests... ;)

• Like 1

I'm not defending your SIL , but maybe she was offended that you found it necessary to carry at a family dinner at Christmas ?

For me it's part of getting dressed in the morning. It's no longer a conscious thought.

I was the best man at their wedding 25 years ago, and I was probably armed standing at the altar with them.

• Like 1

When do you kids go back to school??

They don't go to school and don't get intelligently educated.  They're in a government mandated daycare system designed to control their minds and keep them from hurting themselves, until they are old enough to vote for Leftists and collect welfare for life.

My brother is the same way. No matter how many discussions we have he'll never budge from his stance, but at the same time he'll never get me to budge. He's not against guns but believes it's too easy to get them and that those who have then should pay extra insurance. Very frustrating to have someone in my family feel that way about something that is so deeply rooted in our family and even in our culture where we have many traditions that involve guns or shooting guns to celebrate certain moments. It would be nice if we could all just agree to disagree and get out of each others business, but unfortunately gun owners are going to have many more battles to fight on the gun ownership issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These self righteous, pompous, anti-gun people are oblivious to their totalitarian mindset.  They actually think they are the answer to the problem of violence, with all types of weapons, in America.  

Only by implementing their desires will they ever be convinced what stupidity it is.

Problem is, we'd all suffer proving them wrong.

• Like 1

These self righteous, pompous, anti-gun people are oblivious to their totalitarian mindset.  They actually think they are the answer to the problem of violence, with all types of weapons, in America.  

Only by implementing their desires will they ever be convinced what stupidity it is.

Problem is, we'd all suffer proving them wrong.

I would love to see these self righteous know it alls take to the streets of Chicago, Baltimore, South Central L.A. etc…. and protest all the gun violence in those areas. Think these brave souls will ever even consider doing something like that?? Or do you think the cowards will just continue to preach, from the liberal handbook, to honest law abiding gun owners, who don't shoot up their own neighborhoods every single day??

• Like 1

Or do you think the cowards will just continue to preach, from the liberal handbook, to honest law abiding gun owners, who don't shoot up their own neighborhoods every single day??

There is a new term for that going around. It's called 'virtue signaling', wherein liberals take a stance on an issue, seemingly virtuous, that requires absolutely no work or sacrifice on their part.It also often requires no adherence to reality or the facts.

Edited by Papist