Called in my first coyote!

I've been a bit under the weather during the holidays. So today was the first day out to try and call in my first coyote. We have shot quite a few over the years by chance encounters, while deer hunting. But my buddy and I decided to try calling them at the end of deer season. Since then I pick up an E- caller a couple of mouth calls, a decoy and started practicing, while driving the Mrs. nuts!

I got to the farm property about 8 o'clock, helped my buddy with some chores and we headed to some large fields, above a thick, swampy area, where a number of large round hay bales are scattered. We set up in a hedgerow with a bale in front of us about 10 yards. Put the Johnny Stewart E-caller on top and the Lil Critter decoy in front. He covered left of the bale and I the right.

I called with the e-caller, distressed rabbit first for about 5 minutes. But with a 15mph crosswind, I didn't think they could hear it in the tick stuff 100 yards away. So I gave a few calls on my flex tone mouth call. I look to my right and two coyotes ran out of the woodlot to our right on the next field over. Told my buddy, got two over here and he said got three over here! His was to our front at 100 yards, mine to the right front at 85 yards in the hedgerow. OK on three we shoot! He missed his, I rolled mine!

We are hooked now! Can't wait for next weekend to get out again!

post-5587-0-24708200-1451860876_thumb.jp

• Like 24

Congrats! That story is stirring the curiosity in me, as well as the desire to get back out for a hunt, maybe my first 'yote hunt.

Do you have plans for the kill? Take the hide? What else is/can be done with a coyote kill? At any rate, congrats again on a well-executed hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Congrats! That story is stirring the curiosity in me, as well as the desire to get back out for a hunt, maybe my first 'yote hunt.

Do you have plans for the kill? Take the hide? What else is/can be done with a coyote kill? At any rate, congrats again on a well-executed hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote

I hit a little back and the 7mm-08 tore it up pretty good. But we got the tail deboned and will start a tail board. Using a weathered plank from the old homestead on the farm. I do want to tan a hide to make an icefishing hat this year though.

• Like 1

Both. Over 500 acres and each year we see more coyotes and less deer. Early this year my buddy shot a buck, wasn't sure of the shot so gave him a little time. Three hours later when we recovered the deer, half his hindquarters were eaten! That's when we decided, that after the season we were going to learn to call, and have someone start trapping the property. We also have a few other properties to hunt coyotes lined up, as well as my 50 acre lake property. Not sure if it will make a big difference, but it beats doing nothing. We are over run with them at this time. So it can't hurt to reduce their numbers all we can. There are just too many of them.

• Like 2

Been out a few times in some of my state land spots , one night hunt n 2 morning ... No luck so far , but I've got two other pieces of state land that I've either bumped em on more than one occasion or seen a bunch a tracks during deer season .... Finally got a nice few inches a snow so hopefully things pick up ... Congrats your officially hooked !

• Like 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote

I hit a little back and the 7mm-08 tore it up pretty good. But we got the tail deboned and will start a tail board. Using a weathered plank from the old homestead on the farm. I do want to tan a hide to make an icefishing hat this year though.

Hoots furs in Machias does awsome fur work

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Seriously, 5 at once? That's very impressive. Congratulations. If the 7-08 tore it up real good then I guess a 308 would rip it a good chuck out, huh?

Calling in five on our first set was a cool surprise for a couple of rookies. But we have a bunch of coyotes on this property. And they have never been called to, that we know of. So each time we go, they will be harder to get, as I'm sure they will learn the game quicker than we will. I'm in no way under estimating their intelligence. That being said, I'm looking forward to learning each time we go out, to get better as well. We will constantly change locations and set ups along with calling sequences. Times of day and night. And it was just plain fun!!!

We are using our deer rifles for now. And I shot this one with a Nosler BT. I do have a box of a solid copper Hornady XXT? (Not sure if that is right.)

That may not tear them up so much. If we keep having fun doing this, I see a 243 or 223 in the near future. We also have shotguns with buckshot or turkey loads if we get them in close enough. Our main goal is to just reduce their numbers, while getting a bit of exercise for a couple of older  guys, while having fun!

And thanks again to all who responded!

• Like 2

Calling in five on our first set was a cool surprise for a couple of rookies. But we have a bunch of coyotes on this property. And they have never been called to, that we know of. So each time we go, they will be harder to get, as I'm sure they will learn the game quicker than we will. I'm in no way under estimating their intelligence. That being said, I'm looking forward to learning each time we go out, to get better as well. We will constantly change locations and set ups along with calling sequences. Times of day and night. And it was just plain fun!!!

We are using our deer rifles for now. And I shot this one with a Nosler BT. I do have a box of a solid copper Hornady XXT? (Not sure if that is right.)

That may not tear them up so much. If we keep having fun doing this, I see a 243 or 223 in the near future. We also have shotguns with buckshot or turkey loads if we get them in close enough. Our main goal is to just reduce their numbers, while getting a bit of exercise for a couple of older  guys, while having fun!

And thanks again to all who responded!

I will tell you for a fact that you will have a problem...If you already dont...if you dont drop the numbers fast. If you have local guys with dogs...Run Them!   The Yote is a smart dude like you said and will not come back into calls after getting shot at.

3 hours and they were on a deer means good numbers, Not afraid and future trouble. Every one you take will help but not enough to fix the problem. You will be shocked the numbers of yotes that will be taken in a problem area with a good group of dogs and hunters.

If you have those numbers ,Are in a winter yarding area and get a good amount of snow this year your herd will take a massive hit.

• Like 1

First of all, congratulations on having such a great start to your varmint calling success. That is crazy great success, and it sounds like you have instantly shown that you have learned quickly.

Not to bring all that down, but somebody else out there learned a lot that day too. You got one, but four others are now on to you, and they will know you by name next time they hear that call.

So phase two involves the art of change-up and improvisation. It all puts me in mind of that old saying:

Fool me once shame on you

fool me twice shame on me

From what I have seen around our area, I think the coyotes have heard that saying too.....lol. Your task is now to "fool them twice". Good luck to you and your partner. You're off to a great start!

• Like 4