Upgrade/pc

Dom

I think I may want to up grade my home computer.Currently using pentium 4.I do not want a laptop this is for the home any ideas or suggestions on a new computer system.I have about 1400 dollars to upgrade with.

Dom ....... I have a Lenovo H535 Desk Top With Windows 8.1  that I bought at Staples a few years ago for about $500 . It has 8 GB DDR3 memory . 2TB of Hard Drive . Space shows 905 GB with 816 GB of free space even with all the stuff I have loaded into it . . I bought a new monitor for $100 and added WebRoot to 3 computers for around $45 yearly . 

I am quite pleased with my desk top computer !  It is very quick . 

I never purchased always had used from family.I have seen some cheap and some exp so I saved up to make a good purchase $1400 is a bunch of money Lawdwaz just want to have for many years why laptop and not desktop.I have no need to take computer in other room's or outdoors.

I think I may want to up grade my home computer.Currently using pentium 4.I do not want a laptop this is for the home any ideas or suggestions on a new computer system.I have about 1400 dollars to upgrade with.

I guess before anybody gives you any suggestions you should mention how much juice you do need??  What are you using it for?

When purchasing a PC the price usually reflects the processor.  EX:  All computers in the same price range usually have the same processor, it is the most expensive part of a PC.  I would get 16 gigs of Ram a solid state hard drive with a standards SATA hard drive as a back up.  Processor will go with price, if you check 4 different manufacturers they will all have the same processor at the same price range.  In other words it does not matter what brand you purchase, pick one you like.  Good luck!

You typically get more bang for you buck with a desktop than a laptop. I like using full sized towers even though they take up a lot of space because I like having multiple hard drives. I install my operating system on one drive and keep my data on another. This way I can re-install my entire OS if it becomes FUBARed and not worry about my data. I also keep an external hard drive attached and run periodic backups. Ransom-wares are some serious kick in the gut! You can get a serious setup for less than a grand easily. Also Windows 8 sucks. It was built more for touch screen systems rather than full fledge computers. Windows 10 upgrades are typically free. I still think Windows 7 is the best of the three but Windows 10 is pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Get a desktop and buy a tablet.  

X2 that is what I did also. If you go to Dell's website You can build a desk top the way you want it or talk to there rep. and they can do it for you, with out a bunch of junk that the stores put into them that you will not use.

• Like 1

Let's see my desk top is a mix of parts pieces.my monitor is a IBM think vision  my tower is a Intel/inside with a DVd multi player my mouse is a logitech my printer is a dell the speakers are Diamond for gateway.Not sure how to explain what I have other than names on pieces.I am not sure how much space I need as far as storing data being able to hook cell phones,camera's and other equipment.I do know I would like to have a photo scanner/printer.I have know Idea as to what floppy/sloppy discs to use with this jumbled mess.It is also slow.My service is provided by optimum/triple play

Storage space is cheap.  You can buy one TB hard drive from Best Buy for like $60.  If you plan on saving a lot of videos though, you will eat through data pretty quickly.  For most people, 1 TB will last a really long time.

Storage space is cheap.  You can buy one TB hard drive from Best Buy for like $60.  If you plan on saving a lot of videos though, you will eat through data pretty quickly.  For most people, 1 TB will last a really long time.

I have 2 TB and with all the pics , videos , documents , downloads , etc . I still have plenty of room .