The Revenant

Water Rat

Have you ever heard the episode he had with the hostile natives? He goaded them into releasing him barefoot for a foot race with a head start then all the young braves took off after him.

If I remember correctly, he outdistanced all but one, then turned on him & took him out of the action. He then hid in water under some driftwood with a reed (or something) for a breathing tube until they gave up on him.

Have you read "Lewis & Clark: The Journey of the C orp of Discovery"?

I thought that was John Colter that outran the Blackfeet...

Someday I would really like to read the story behind that bear attack scene. That was very realistic and looks like it must have been pretty darn difficult to come up with. I'm not even sure that the bear wasn't some kind of computer composite creation.

I thought that was John Colter that outran the Blackfeet...

Don't think so but I could be wrong.

Speaking of John Coulter, do you know what the mountain men called what would later become Yellowstone National Park?

Edited by wildcat junkie

This is one movie that I want to see from a seat close to the screen in a theater with a good sound system.

The wife & I went to see "The Last of the Mohicans" like that. I think it won awards for the sound track.

Edited by wildcat junkie

We are all just a bunch of powder puff wussies, compared to those old mountain men of the early 1800's. Fascinating topic!

aint that the truth?? Imagine traipsing all over the Rockies in a buckskin outfit with moccasins on your feet, for months at a time. Oh and there's a grizzly or a Blackfeet waiting to kill you behind every tree
  • Like 1

aint that the truth?? Imagine traipsing all over the Rockies in a buckskin outfit with moccasins on your feet, for months at a time. Oh and there's a grizzly or a Blackfeet waiting to kill you behind every tree

And you only have one shot with your rifle.

• Like 2

If youre lucky and it fires!

In over 10 years of hunting exclusively with muzzle loaders, I never had a failure of any kind while hunting with either my "traditional" percussion or flintlock rifles or either of my double barrel shotguns. I did have a gully washer flood my pan once though. I didn't see any deer that day anyway.

But then again I use REAL black powder & not the inferior substitutes. ;)

Edited by wildcat junkie

I remember hearing this story and seeing a movie with a similar story years ago. I'm very interested in seeing this, but will probably wait until it comes out in Netflix.

No! Don't do it. It needs the big screen experience if any movie ever did.

Have you ever heard the episode he had with the hostile natives? He goaded them into releasing him barefoot for a foot race with a head start then all the young braves took off after him.

If I remember correctly, he outdistanced all but one, then turned on him & took him out of the action. He then hid in water under some driftwood with a reed (or something) for a breathing tube until they gave up on him.

Sounds like the scene from the 1980 movie Mountain Men with Charleton Heston.

I was talking to the theater owner in Canandaigua, and he said he was getting a lot of negative comments from customers about the graphic nature of The Revenant. Apparently there were some scenes that were a bit too much for them to handle....lol.

I was talking to the theater owner in Canandaigua, and he said he was getting a lot of negative comments from customers about the graphic nature of The Revenant. Apparently there were some scenes that were a bit too much for them to handle....lol.

Wait until those same customers go to see "The Hateful Eight"  !  Seen it last night .... yowsa !

We had a delicious Prime rib dinner at a small tavern in the Adirondacks & timed our arrival at the theater 15 minutes before the 7:00 PM start time posted on the internet site. We were informed that the move started at 6:39! :(  They have no control of what is posted on the internet WTF!

We are going for lunch at the Chinese buffet restaurant next door to the theater & will see the 1:30 PM matinee this afternoon.

We had a delicious Prime rib dinner at a small tavern in the Adirondacks & timed our arrival at the theater 15 minutes before the 7:00 PM start time posted on the internet site. We were informed that the move started at 6:39! :(  They have no control of what is posted on the internet WTF!

We are going for lunch at the Chinese buffet restaurant next door to the theater & will see the 1:30 PM matinee this afternoon.

Pssst  That 1:30 starts at 1:07 :rolleyes:

• Like 3