I gotta ask

Pat Rockets

Seeing on how ethicality is a hot topic..i questioned my own views and actions..is entering deer contests ethical..i mean essentially you get paid to kill..head hunting per say..i myself am guilty of this little pleasure and was surprised when i realized how i feel..i shot that smaller rack 8  and at the start of my vid it says i caved and shot that lil 8..almost disappointed..i think i wont be entering any contests anytime soon..

eyy dont let it get to u. i personally frown upon head hunting. I dont head hunt. But if i know theres a big buck in the area i will go for it. But i mostly deer hunt for the thrill and for the meat. I would love to get a buck though. ONly got a button buck and ive been hunting for 2 years now. I guess its just all in the game tho!

The only contest I enter is the one between me and the deer I'm chasing.  These prize contests seem to take the enjoyment out of hunting altogether.  Most guys are all happy to enter a buck they shot and they're proud of it until someone shows up with a bigger buck.

Just my 2 cents.  Men are by nature competitive and I believe that has a lot to do with it.  Sorry, but if I see a decent buck, I see a lot of meat for jerky, etc.  Everyone does things for their own reason, so I can't fault anybody out there hunting for their own reasons-big racks, meat, etc.  We're all keeping the herd healthy by our actions..

I think the contests bring out the worst in people every year it seems like somebody get caught poaching a big buck to enter in a contest or enter someone elses buck on their tag. Even the pope n young, boone and crocket, ny big buck club  seem to bring out the worst in people, i've taken game that would qualify for these "books"  never entered them. fact is i am happy with whatever i harvest. no contests for me!

I think the contests bring out the worst in people every year it seems like somebody get caught poaching a big buck to enter in a contest or enter someone elses buck on their tag. Even the pope n young, boone and crocket, ny big buck club  seem to bring out the worst in people, i've taken game that would qualify for these "books"  never entered them. fact is i am happy with whatever i harvest. no contests for me!

These record books don't do anything to promote the worst in people, but I agree they seem to bring out the worst in some, but those guys would be that way anyway.. those record keeping clubs are about the deer not the hunter.. they were developed as a means to record beautiful bucks (not great hunters) taken over the years for others to see in the future.. the hunters themselves are the problem.. a guy takes a 140 class buck... literally by accident... and all of a sudden he's a big buck hunter.. wants his name up in lights.

I have been handing out Big Buck certificates to guys for many years...as well as printing their stories for about 15 years.. I usually get a chance to speak with a lot of them and I can tell you very few of them are humble when it comes to shooting a big buck... we give them their 15 minutes of fame just to tickle their fancy then they are forgotten.. the buck is the only thing guys want to see after that...

The only reason not to enter a buck in the books would be to keep others from enjoying the animal with you... You shouldn't be concerned about it being a contest, because none of the people involved in entering your buck see it that way. Its not about who's is bigger.. its about celebrating the animal and it's beauty..

I've been in a couple through the years. I won 1 contest years ago. I never though about it ethically just some added coin if you get the big one. The y also paid for biggest doe and smallest buck. Now the smallest buck thing could raise some eyebrows.

Contest definatly bring out the worst in people.  I won the plant buck contest 2 years in a row a while back.. And all year after hat all I heard was "It was not mine , It was a night , It was on a feeder and so on"  I got sick of it and wont enter them.  I did bring in my buck this year just to get it weighed.  And again it would have taken 1st by 40 lbs.  Yes even though not entered. I am hearing it all agin!

santamour123, i understand your point exactly,you enter once and win and now you have another big deer so you must be cheating or doing something illegal, maybe you just put in more hrs then the other guys....either way once you take a big buck they think you should get one every year and if you don't they still pick on you...

I see a big buck contest as encouraging people to pursue and celebrate big bucks.  I think a small buck contest is a tremendous lack of common sense and judgement.  I'm sure that idea came from the kid who was picked last for kickball.  I'm guessing he took up hunting and sucks at that too.  Unfortunately some guys get tunnel vision and only see the glory that winning the contest brings and try to cheat to win.  That isn't unique to hunting, cheating happens in nearly every competitive event ever thought up.  Most poachers will poach regardless.

Joe is right on with the record systems.  They are to celebrate the animals not the "fame" comes with the harvest.  I personally enter these contests and enjoy the comradery that they bring.  I choose to ignore the negatives that were mentioned but I know they exist.