Coyote gun

So many times it has been said Shot placement is the key to a Hunter or Target shooter.More gun/bullet is only going to be accurate to the shooter.To say that a 22 is undergunned for any game is a farce.

Simple fact that a .22 will wound more coyotes than ever retrieved. .22's have killed a lot of deer over the years too.

• Like 3

Simple fact that a .22 will wound more coyotes than ever retrieved. .22's have killed a lot of deer over the years too.

I myself have a killed many with a .22.This works for me.If I had to choose an all round fire arm The .22 wins.Shot placement is the key.

I myself have a killed many with a .22.This works for me.If I had to choose an all round fire arm The .22 wins.Shot placement is the key.

how many not retrieved ?  I don't think there is one hardcore canine hunter that would ever suggest using a .22  

And back on track- I've heard Mini 14's" pattern" well as opposed to AR's grouping tighter.

You could look into the Ruger Ranch rifle, modest price, nice features without spending a ton. I'd sink most of the available money into a good scope. Light gathering capabilities are paramount when predator hunting. PS...don't use a 22lr...

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

how many not retrieved ?  I don't think there is one hardcore canine hunter that would ever suggest using a .22  

And back on track- I've heard Mini 14's" pattern" well as opposed to AR's grouping tighter.

Several but that is hunting get some loose some.I did say for the areas that I hunt.If you have big tracts of land by all means use what you want to.When I grow up I wil purchase a 50 cal BMG lol.

I guess that I'm from the old school.Of course I could take my 270 Winchester and kill a coyote at long ranges.I just do not understand why you all need such a large cal./rifle to hunt a Dog.The 223 243 just is a waste of ammo to me.I do not have the land to shoot long ranges at most 130yrds max.The other reason that I pointed to was what you could earn with a smller hole in the hide.What do you all do with the coyote pelts/dogs leave them where they are killed?

how many not retrieved ? I don't think there is one hardcore canine hunter that would ever suggest using a .22

By "pattern" your saying accuracy isn't great? I hear the older minis aren't great. But the new models are alot better.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Accuracy is not only with the firearm/ammo it is with the shooter.Most accuracy tests are done from a bench not offhand bigger is not allways the key to a rifle/gun is what you are comfortable shooting.I'm not against bigger larger cal.s I just do not have the area to shoot them.Other than Big game the .22 is a great round canbe used in more ways then a larger cal rifle

Hunting in the woods with relatively short ranges or open country where shots could be taken out to several hundred yards, maybe a combination of both?

Calling in the woods I have never taken a shot over sixty yards, I have successfully used a 22 LR, 22 Mag, 17 HMR also with a shotgun loaded with buck and once took one with a 410 slug.

Open country is a different story, I like something that can get out there a bit, most of the 22 center fire varmint cartridges will work well, I trend toward the upper end stuff like a 22/250 and my favorite the 220 Swift.

For an all around rifle in most Coyote hunting situations a 223 in a bolt action or an autoloader that looks and feels right and shot well would be tough to beat. The ammo availability in 223 is also a factor that makes it a favorite.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

Accuracy is not only with the firearm/ammo it is with the shooter.Most accuracy tests are done from a bench not offhand bigger is not allways the key to a rifle/gun is what you are comfortable shooting.I'm not against bigger larger cal.s I just do not have the area to shoot them.Other than Big game the .22 is a great round canbe used in more ways then a larger cal rifle

Dom, I have a 17 cal but worry I may wound and lose and animal. Whatever you are comfortable shooting is good for you. I like one shot one kill, no screwing around.

I am looking for a coyote gun. I don't know if I will go bolt action or semi auto. Most guys I know hunt with ar's for accuracy and a quick second shot if needed. Looking for opinions on the perfect coyote / fox gun and what caliber.

So between all the arguing, are you narrowing it down to anything?

Let me back up my recommendation. I started predator hunting with a Remington 597 semi auto .22, lost two dogs after a long track job and decided to switch, started taking out my Remington mod 700 in 6mm ( basically a .243), had multiple dogs come in on a perfect set and there was no way I could get a second shot off at another dog...besides the fact it did terrible things to the pelt. So I saved my pennies and got the AR. Not only is it at tack driver at any range, but follow up shots are a breeze. Vmax 53 grain are also pretty easy on the pelts. Its my yote, fox, Chuck and " fun " gun. Ammo for paper is cheap, anybody can shoot it and have lots of fun at the range. A bolt action will save u some $$ but I think you may want to consider an AR.

My .02

Edited by TreeGuy
  • Like 3

Ok lets narrow this down

...let's saw I go .223....now I need a make a model that people like.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I highly recommend a Saiga 223.

A solid rifle made were the original AK's were born. Using there style platform and chrome lined barrel I find them to be great. Own 2, a 223. and a 7.62x39 I have shot thousands of rounds threw both with 0 problems.

They sell them locally for something around 5 or 6 hundred bucks.

• Like 1

I highly recommend a Saiga 223.

A solid rifle made were the original AK's were born. Using there style platform and chrome lined barrel I find them to be great. Own 2, a 223. and a 7.62x39 I have shot thousands of rounds threw both with 0 problems.

They sell them locally for something around 5 or 6 hundred bucks.

I will check the saga out.

Didn't know about these. Now I have to find a saiga at a gun shop. I think I have narrowed it down to an ar and saiga. Thanks to everybody for the opinions

Edited by woodchuck

I have built a few AR's that are NY compliant for under 600$ it is very easy to assemble parts on a AR. My favorite coyote gun I have I have is a polymer lower with a fluted lightweight barrel that I built that I use if I'm walking a lot and its under 6lbs and scary accurate.

Where did you get your polymer reciever if I can ask

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I know they have come a long way, but I would do your research on a poly lower... They are cheaper but not much lighter, and if you are going to use your AR in the field, look into forged / aluminum.

I did a lot of research and they have come along way, I saved about 5 oz to my other aluminum uppers. I have a bunch of plastic pistols and they hold up fine. It's not my only ar and will never be a high round count gun but for what I use it for its perfect.

• Like 1

I did a lot of research and they have come along way, I saved about 5 oz to my other aluminum uppers. I have a bunch of plastic pistols and they hold up fine. It's not my only ar and will never be a high round count gun but for what I use it for its perfect.

I get it, but without saying its junk or its the best, I want to make sure people understand the differences before they purchase...