Wool clothing

ATbuckhunter

How many of you guys still wear and hunt in those classic wool jackets? I find my self wanting to get a pair of those checkered jackets and pants. Ive always loved the way they looked and the guy I hunt with wore them up until a few years ago.

I wear wool all the time.  But not for the looks, although it does look cool, like a real hunter not something out of a desert storm commercial.

Wool is heavy and fleece may be better in that regard, but wool has one attribute the rest lack.  It gets warmer when wet.  I wish I could find the link to post here, but there was a study that showed a chemical reaction that wool when wet causes the water to release heat.  You can just sit down on a snow covered log, get up and still be warm, a little wet, but warm.

And a good tight weave wool blocks wind pretty well but not as well as other materials.  It does breathe.

Wool is also the quietest material to wear in the woods bar none.  And it absorbs light in the same manner as other animal fur making it hard to see, no sharp harsh images or color separations.  It is a natural camouflage.

I have Johnson woolen mills (vt) pants and jackets, backpacks and hats, as well as a lot of King of the Mountain pants/jackets/gaiters/hats, etc.

I never had a problem with itch, but many people do.  I am just partial to wool.  And it does look great too!!

FYI, Now is a great time to get some of the expensive wool hunting garments at great prices on ebay and such.

• Like 2

Not that I'm trying to turn anyone off from wearing them but I have chosen to wear some form of Orange when I'm on state land as my father was shot in the woods wearing red and black checkered wool back in the 80s.He was on watch sitting against a tree when some young 16 yr old mistook him for a bear.The kid shoot twice with a 30-30 missing him the first time but the second one hit the tree he was sitting against before piercing his abdomen.He was carried out of the woods and brought to a hospital to have the bullet removed.He recoverd just fine but he kind of lost his desire to hunt much after that.He was around 50yrs old and I was 17 needless to say I lost a lot of hunting adventures with my dad because of this but atleast I didn't loose my dad. I know hunting accidents happen with people wearing the full Orange jump suit to so I can't really blame the woolys he had on I just prefer to wear something with some Orange in it

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Johnson Wollen Mills in Vermont offers many items in pure wool blaze orange.  

One of my favorite hunting jackets for public land is their blaze orange wool shirt jacket from them.  Hat too in wool blaze orange.

FYI.

Green Johnson wool pants and an ll bean green and black plaid coat. If it is very cold, I wear them. I can sit for hours and stay warm. It cuts the wind, and is quiet. I put my stsanda up in evergreen trees, and I am lost. My cousin has the red and black. My camp is called old school

• Like 3

I have a bunch of wool and don't see a good reason coming down the pipeline to make a switch.

I'll don an orange fleece vest gun hunting now and then.............

I am in the same boat.

I like the stuff put out by L.L. Bean, especially their Maine Guide Zip-Front Jac-Shirt.. You can order it with a Gore-Tex Windstopper lining. With this I would wear a Blaze orange hat and a vest. Prefer this Jac-Shirt to their wool parka because of the weight factor. Nothing stands out more than Blaze orange in the woods, and although it's not a law to wear, it's makes so much sense to just to be safer in the woods.