Dog food

Dom

With so many companies out there How does one know what is the best for their dog/pup?My lill girl has been getting Pedigree but I am not sure if this is what I should be feeding her she will only eat the ground stylecanned and the puppy chow dry.When we went to the vet they said to try something that they gave us but would not eat so back to what she was eating

Blue buffalo but it's fricken expensive. 5lb bag is close to $22. But it makes a difference in their coat and is not filled with by products.

I sound like the commercial.

I would like to use that but with 2 dogs that would break me. I thought about using for my next dog for it will be kept out in a kennel

Its easy, Feed the dog what it will eat, Vet tells me if there is an allergy its normally due to the grains and not the meat,  My lab will not eat anything but pedigree i tried switching she dropped a lot of weight and just wouldnt eat, The only other food she did eat was Eukanuba not even sure if i spelled that right, But now she gets Pedigree and loves it

• Like 1

Funny how opinion are different. My vet says no to pedigree and sister in laws vet in NC says no to it. I fed it to my dog her 14 years. Never thought anything was wrong with it.

A few months ago I read something saying it was one of the worst feeds. I will try and find it. It was an article on beagles. Raw diet

My brothers dog was 15-16 and most of his life he also got pedigree. I think there was a recall on it?

Edited by Paula
  • Like 1

We feed Nutri source, check on recalls from whatever brand you like.

I would never feed any brand that is heavy on grain, fillers and has a list of recalls. But, our dogs require a better food to stay in the best shape for hunting. The first three ingredients listed are the key, if it says corn or other non-protein skip it.

Purina is most often recommended but they put a lot into marketing and give always.

raw diet is by far the best thing for a dog.

as for kibble there are a few really good ones like buffalo, holistic, some of the merrick and others.  there is plenty of info out there on what breeds should be eating what.

I looked into this with my last puppy and was shocked with how much garbage is in most dog foods.  Anything you can buy at a grocery store is almost guaranteed crap.

Edited by Carbonelement

I have 3 labs and they can eat a lot of dog food. Being a dairy farmer, I have access to the occasional bovine casualty and the dogs love it. I bought a small chest freezer a few years ago specifically for dog meat and scored a used meat saw recently, which really speeds up the processing. My preference is still born calves because they are easy to handle and the bones are soft. I freeze them solid and then run them through the saw to produce meal sized chunks. The entire calf is eaten, from the tip of the nose to the tip of the tail including hair and innards. If for some reason I run out or I'm travelling, then I feed Blue Buffalo, but it is really expensive.

The picture is of the meat saw and a stack of calf torso cross-sections before I cut them into smaller pieces.

post-50-0-13224900-1455584839_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

raw diet is by far the best thing for a dog.

as for kibble there are a few really good ones like buffalo, holistic, some of the merrick and others. there is plenty of info out there on what breeds should be eating what.

I looked into this with my last puppy and was shocked with how much garbage is in most dog foods. Anything you can buy at a grocery store is almost guaranteed crap.

. I let the wife read this and she strongly disagrees.

I have 3 labs and they can eat a lot of dog food. Being a dairy farmer, I have access to the occasional bovine casualty and the dogs love it. I bought a small chest freezer a few years ago specifically for dog meat and scored a used meat saw recently, which really speeds up the processing. My preference is still born calves because they are easy to handle and the bones are soft. I freeze them solid and then run them through the saw to produce meal sized chunks. The entire calf is eaten, from the tip of the nose to the tip of the tail including hair and innards. If for some reason I run out or I'm travelling, then I feed Blue Buffalo, but it is really expensive.

The picture is of the meat saw and a stack of calf torso cross-sections before I cut them into smaller pieces.

Love that idea

i never noticed before but he smashes something that Clark put on the last bag lol. Anyhoo, Tractor Supply foods is what our breeder recommended so we've stuck with it

It's a package of light bulbs that Clark picked up. Hallelujah, Holy $h!t, where's the Tylenol?

• Like 1

i would love to hear why the wife disagrees

Edit*

and when you feed raw, you must include organs and bones... chicken bones are very good for dogs, they are not as strong as other weight holding bones such as legs from beef/deer.

shes responding:

Domestic cats and dogs are just as susceptible to E. Coli and salmonella as we are. Not only can they get these diseases, but can also shed the bacteria, being a source of infection to humans. Handling the food alone can be another source of infection to humans.

Many people think that since animals in the wild eat raw, so should our pets. But our pets are so far removed from their wild ancestors.

domestic puppies and older dogs are more susceptible to e coli, and its not much to worry about.  Do some research and many vets will agree that raw diet is king.  And freezing the food greatly reduces the chances of a lot of bacterial infections.  to each is own i guess, but i would rather give my dog raw then 90 percent of the food that is available