Anyone else scouting new ground during the off season?

genesee_mohican

I hunt the local park here and decided to check out a new area right after gun season ended.  I've been walking it as much as possible to learn the lay of the land, taking note of the deer sign I find, travel routes and note any tree stands already in place. I also put out a few trail cameras and have had a few nice bucks walk by. Scouting with snow on the ground has been very helpful and the most fun. Seeing tracks and noting travel routes, trying to figure out the big picture, and consider stand sites. There are a lot of rubs and scrapes in the area and good deer numbers in general, but the area is quite large so picking the right location for a stand and planning an approach is the tricky part. On top of that it's public land which can make those decisions more difficult. If nothing else, I'm having fun, getting some good exercise and will have a few new stands to sit in come fall.

• Like 2

There are a pair of small properties in my neighborhood that I have access to, but I haven't made the time to scout them yet. After reading your post, I wish I had before all the snow melted (in a matter of hours) on Tuesday. If I don't get out there before the foliage fills in, I know I'll regret it...

Your post is a good reminder. Thank you...

I'm all thumbs when using Tapatalk

I am scouting a new area of state land. So far not very impressive for gun hunting. But, there is potential for bass fishing.

I also spent a little time getting re-acquainted with some other state land I used to hunt.

you must get awful wet and cold scouting for Bass in this weather...

I have scouted a new piece of local state land. 6000+ acres.. So far the sign seems pretty promising.. Only negative I see so far is the proximity to some Amish farms..In my experience the deer don't seem to prosper in these areas..

The biggest problem I have with public property is that everyone reads the same books .lol..

Find the best pinch point /funnel/remote spot on a map and drag your butt all the way down there and discover a tree-stand in that exact spot..ha..

I have slowly been evolving .. Paying a lot more attention to "too obvious" easy spots, that everyone else walks right past  and those spots that the deer escape to after everyone invades their honey hole..

I am still a sucker for the remote spot that requires a 2 mile hike and or rock scramble though..lol

• Like 1

I have scouted a new piece of local state land. 6000+ acres.. So far the sign seems pretty promising.. Only negative I see so far is the proximity to some Amish farms..In my experience the deer don't seem to prosper in these areas..

The biggest problem I have with public property is that everyone reads the same books .lol..

Find the best pinch point /funnel/remote spot on a map and drag your butt all the way down there and discover a tree-stand in that exact spot..ha..

I have slowly been evolving .. Paying a lot more attention to "too obvious" easy spots, that everyone else walks right past  and those spots that the deer escape to after everyone invades their honey hole..

I am still a sucker for the remote spot that requires a 2 mile hike and or rock scramble though..lol

Always..I went for a little hike on Letchworth the last Saturday of the season and walked right into the heaven of honey holes. Took the first adult doe that jumped up and made the mistake of looking a bit long before her first jump. Cleaned her up and kept walking and was just amazed at the animals and sign in there.No stands found or sign of hunters. A bit of an up and down to get there but only 2 hours out on cart alone and you of anybody knows thats not to bad of a haul out of some of those places. 

Will be in there come April at camp opening dressed a little lighter.

• Like 1

Oh ain't it the truth!  It can get discouraging down in Letchworth at times. I back off an area that has a stand and start  thinking about  how the deer would be reacting to the pressure and where they might travel to avoid it. But finding a pinch point that doesn't already have stand can be a real challenge, even if it's two miles off the road down steep slopes.

• Like 1

Oh ain't it the truth!  It can get discouraging down in Letchworth at times. I back off an area that has a stand and start  thinking about  how the deer would be reacting to the pressure and where they might travel to avoid it. But finding a pinch point that doesn't already have stand can be a real challenge, even if it's two miles off the road down steep slopes.

Yeap.. I had this area all picked this past year. Wayy down and over and through the the thick..lol. So I spend an 1.5 hrs lugging my 40+ pounds of gear (stand,etc..) before daylight to this spot along the river.. Behold! a stand in that exact spot.... Not the 1st time I took my stand for a walk and never hooked it to a tree. Starting to get a reputation....  :)

Still , I am counting the days until next year.. Cabin is booked.

Yeap.. I had this area all picked this past year. Wayy down and over and through the the thick..lol. So I spend an 1.5 hrs lugging my 40+ pounds of gear (stand,etc..) before daylight to this spot along the river.. Behold! a stand in that exact spot.... Not the 1st time I took my stand for a walk and never hooked it to a tree. Starting to get a reputation....  :)

Still , I am counting the days until next year.. Cabin is booked.

Ouch, it's a "soaker" just making that trek without all the gear!  I'm looking forward to next fall too and and putting some time in on an area that I've never hunted before but it looks promising. I guess I'm always looking for "the spot" and just enjoy exploring areas I've never seen in a place where you could hike a lot of years and never see it all.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe I will have a photo of you on there! lol I don't charge a lot for glossy prints.  I'm over on the east side. I did have a photo of a couple of guys that walked by one cam a few weeks ago. It looked like they were shed hunting.

I was with a buddy of mine,we were on the east side not on River rd though. It was a Sat. We were looking around for bow hunting options and hoping to see a shed but did not find any.

I'm always asking myself, where are the deer coming from, where are they going to, and why? Then putting boots on the ground to find the answers. This applies to private or public property that I hunt. And it can change somewhat from year to year.