What's in your smoker tonight?

Rockspek

Country style ribs using Meathead's recipe with Carolina Gold mustard glaze. Oh my God. My wife had apple rhubarb pie for dessert. I had another piece of pork. And having dry brined them with a bit of salt this morning, it took me less than 45 minutes from putting them in the smoker to taking them off the grill. 

I may need help. I admit I have a problem...

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

I didnt brine this time it was a spare of the moment. What do you brine with and for how long? I did hit them with some creole butter injection half way through smoking.

I usually brine overnight. Every gal of water I put 1/4 cup salt to to 1/3 cup sugar. You can add garlic powder and onion powder too. Before smoking, I use a spoon to separate the skin from the breast meat, and season 3 pats of butter with whatever rub I'm using, and shove those under the skin. 3 seasoned pats on each side. I usually take whatever butter is left and toss it in the cavity, but I realize it probably doesn't help any because all the meat is above that..

Edited by mowin

7 minutes ago, mowin said:

I usually brine overnight. Every gal of water I put 1/4 cup salt to to 1/3 cup sugar. You can add garlic powder and onion powder too. Before smoking, I use a spoon to separate the skin from the breast meat, and season 3 pats of butter with whatever rub I'm using, and shove those under the skin. 3 seasoned pats on each side. I usually take whatever butter is left and toss it in the cavity, but I realize it probably doesn't help any because all the meat is above that..

I will have to try that thank you.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

I will have to try that thank you.

Do the same to your next turkey on Thanksgiving. Even if you cook it in your oven.  You'll never cook another one without the brine.

• Like 1

Brining is certainly a game-changer. If you're pressed for time and you're only smoking pieces, such as thighs, you can dissolve 1 cup of kosher salt and 1 cup of brown sugar in 4 cups of boiling water, use ice to bring it to 6 cups total, and brine for one hour at room temperature. I use this recipe for up to sixteen thighs - having done 36 last weekend for a BBQ, I realize that I should have doubled down. Don't go over an hour in the brine though, and be sure to rinse the meat quickly under the faucet before throwing some of your favorite rub under the skin, then smoke away!

• Like 1

Brining is certainly a game-changer. If you're pressed for time and you're only smoking pieces, such as thighs, you can dissolve 1 cup of kosher salt and 1 cup of brown sugar in 4 cups of boiling water, use ice to bring it to 6 cups total, and brine for one hour at room temperature. I use this recipe for up to sixteen thighs - having done 36 last weekend for a BBQ, I realize that I should have doubled down. Don't go over an hour in the brine though, and be sure to rinse the meat quickly under the faucet before throwing some of your favorite rub under the skin, then smoke away!

aa66d32773db25489dc70a3fd4203d1d.jpg

This Turkey took a brine bath (Alton Brown’s Deep fried Turkey recipe) in a very similar “solution” to above. I reduce the salt a bit and let soak for an overnight.

Redo pic from dinner thread but I’m a proud papa!
76b023ceec06369b5a1697af2ab35d40.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

aa66d32773db25489dc70a3fd4203d1d.jpg

This Turkey took a brine bath (Alton Brown’s Deep fried Turkey recipe) in a very similar “solution” to above. I reduce the salt a bit and let soak for an overnight.

Redo pic from dinner thread but I’m a proud papa!
76b023ceec06369b5a1697af2ab35d40.jpg

Oh baby does that look delicious!

#WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

• Like 1

96eae8afa955c29116bde4904d974f65.jpg
Well it’s not in the smoker yet but will be in about 8 days…never made bacon before so giving it a shot.
2 different cures- 1 with maple syrup, brown sugar, salt and some red pepper flake;
2. More “basic” with just white sugar, salt pepper, paprika.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, crappyice said:

Well it’s not in the smoker yet but will be in about 8 days…never made bacon before so giving it a shot.
2 different cures- 1 with maple syrup, brown sugar, salt and some red pepper flake;

Dry or wet brine?  

Dry or wet brine?  

All ingredients of the cures are dry (except for the maple syrup in one but even that cure was more dry than wet).
From what i understand things become wet as it sits in the fridge and bag full of dry cure ingredients

7 hours ago, crappyice said:

All ingredients of the cures are dry (except for the maple syrup in one but even that cure was more dry than wet).
From what i understand things become wet as it sits in the fridge and bag full of dry cure ingredients

Yes it does. I rub the bags and flip every day. You might want to go a little longer than 8 days if there's still a lot of moisture in the bags. The meat will absorb most of it. I usually go 14 days.  Also, I'm assuming your used cure #1 or tender quick? 

Yes it does. I rub the bags and flip every day. You might want to go a little longer than 8 days if there's still a lot of moisture in the bags. The meat will absorb most of it. I usually go 14 days.  Also, I'm assuming your used cure #1 or tender quick? 

Yup #1 cure used. Following the process in this recipe for my first run to see how it goes.

https://www.heygrillhey.com/homemade-smoked-bacon/

• Like 2

18 hours ago, crappyice said:

I get these at Cosco also and make pork belly burnt ends

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

Yup #1 cure used. Following the process in this recipe for my first run to see how it goes.

https://www.heygrillhey.com/homemade-smoked-bacon/

I've done hot smoked a few times, but I prefer the texture of cold smoking.  I use this calculator to measure out my cure salt and sugar.  www.diggingdogfarm.com/page2.  I usually drop the salt % down a tad. 

Looking forward to the finished pics...

Edited by mowin

I've done hot smoked a few times, but I prefer the texture of cold smoking.  I use this calculator to measure out my cure salt and sugar.  www.diggingdogfarm.com/page2.  I usually drop the salt % down a tad. 
Looking forward to the finished pics...

One site said 160 for 6 hours…another place I got the more basic cure from said 200 for 3 hours.
I was planning on 160 method using pecan and cherry.
Would you consider 160 “cold” smoking?

4 minutes ago, crappyice said:

One site said 160 for 6 hours…another place I got the more basic cure from said 200 for 3 hours.
I was planning on 160 method using pecan and cherry.
Would you consider 160 “cold” smoking?

Cold smoking is keeping the pit temp as low as possible, but over 32°, but under 100° as not to render any fat.  I only cold smoke during the spring and fall. I use a smoke tube with pellets. I smoke for 4-6 hrs, rest uncovered in the fridge overnight. Another 4-6 hrs of smoke. I might do this twice, or up to 5 times depending on how thick the bellies are, or until I get the color I like.  I then rest the bacon uncovered in my project fridge(aka brining, smoking, fridge) for a couple days before slicing and packaging. Bacon is the only meat I like "over smoked" so to speak, so I go 4 smoke, rest periods for me. Others, like 2 smoke periods. 

Cold smoking is keeping the pit temp as low as possible, but over 32°, but under 100° as not to render any fat.  I only cold smoke during the spring and fall. I use a smoke tube with pellets. I smoke for 4-6 hrs, rest uncovered in the fridge overnight. Another 4-6 hrs of smoke. I might do this twice, or up to 5 times depending on how thick the bellies are, or until I get the color I like.  I then rest the bacon uncovered in my project fridge(aka brining, smoking, fridge) for a couple days before slicing and packaging. Bacon is the only meat I like "over smoked" so to speak, so I go 4 smoke, rest periods for me. Others, like 2 smoke periods. 

Question [mention=8258]mowin[/mention]
My pork belly is out of the cure and in the fridge for 12 - 24 hours developing a pellicle (whatever that is!). But now tomorrow looks like crap for rain and my schedule is all banged up. Can I just leave it in the fridge developing pellicle until Thursday and smoke it then?

11 hours ago, crappyice said:

Question [mention=8258]mowin[/mention]
My pork belly is out of the cure and in the fridge for 12 - 24 hours developing a pellicle (whatever that is!). But now tomorrow looks like crap for rain and my schedule is all banged up. Can I just leave it in the fridge developing pellicle until Thursday and smoke it then?

Absolutely.  Won't hurt it a bit

Edited by mowin
  • Like 1