Lead sled

Merlot

Maybe I wouldn't have dreaded sighting in the old Ithaca 12 Ga. so much if I had been using a Lead sled. Now, I don't have any guns that punish me that much, so I use the open set-up with sand bags for checking out the rifles. As far as repeatability, I have 100% confidence in the bags.

• Like 1

I love mine. I really makes rough sighting in a two shot endeavor. Cross hairs on the bull. take a shot. re align cross hairs to bull and secure gun. adjust scope until the cross hairs are over the first bullet hole. ready for fine tuning.

Stabile. easy to carry and I have never had a problem with any POI changes out to 300 yards in a range situation after getting it dialed in on the sled. Even using sand bags after that. I have never used it out past that 300 yard mark.

• Like 3

For the record, I don't disagree that there can be a change in POI by using the sled, just like there is when holding a stock differently or using bags to sight in vs shoot freehand.  I just think that at the ranges I can actually shoot, the difference in POI is less than the differences caused by my lack of super-marksman skill.  I am not a bad shot, but I am more likely to be off by 2" at 300yds due to poor marksmanship than the fact that I sighted in with a sled.  In short, this concern over a change in POI by using the sled is probably overstated for many of us.  Again, just my opinion and your mileage may vary.

I'd have to agree.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

I would say that they would be great for load development, but "sighting in"?

Are you guys going to carry the lead sled around while you are hunting? I wouldn't expect a weapon to shoot to the same POI from the shoulder/bags as W/the lead sled.

I sight in over bags W/my left hand holding the forearm on top of the bag and another bag under the toe. The recoil should be the same as when I shoot off the rails of the stand. Recoil affects POI.

I used mine for sighting in and POI isn't any different than off sandbags. I don't strap it in just lay it in and pull the trigger same POI for me. 

I wouldn't think twice about buying one best investments I have made.

Edited by chas0218
  • Like 1

For the record, I don't disagree that there can be a change in POI by using the sled, just like there is when holding a stock differently or using bags to sight in vs shoot freehand.  I just think that at the ranges I can actually shoot, the difference in POI is less than the differences caused by my lack of super-marksman skill.  I am not a bad shot, but I am more likely to be off by 2" at 300yds due to poor marksmanship than the fact that I sighted in with a sled.  In short, this concern over a change in POI by using the sled is probably overstated for many of us.  Again, just my opinion and your mileage may vary.

Im with you, Im such a flincher when target shooting I cant possibly sight in without the help of a good rest. Its never seemed to hurt me in the woods

I've always thought about getting one.  haven't though.  sandbags or sand bags and bipod seem to work well enough.  with either of those I can float the cross hairs tight enough where I notice my heart beat makes them twitch even when I'm calm.  I've noticed POI changes when shooting for groups with forearm not held down versus sighting in holding the forearm of the stock down.  pretty slight though and well within minute of deer vitals out to 200 yards or so.

I used mine for sighting in and POI isn't any different than off sandbags. I don't strap it in just lay it in and pull the trigger same POI for me. 

I wouldn't think twice about buying one best investments I have made.

I think that if you did strap it in your results might be far different.

I've always thought about getting one.  haven't though.  sandbags or sand bags and bipod seem to work well enough.  with either of those I can float the cross hairs tight enough where I notice my heart beat makes them twitch even when I'm calm.  I've noticed POI changes when shooting for groups with forearm not held down versus sighting in holding the forearm of the stock down.  pretty slight though and well within minute of deer vitals out to 200 yards or so.

When I shoot for load development & group size, I let the fore-end float on the front bag & use both arms in a cradle to pull the stock into my shoulder.

When I sight in, I hold the fore-end & rest my hand on the front bag.

When I shoot for load development & group size, I let the fore-end float on the front bag & use both arms in a cradle to pull the stock into my shoulder.

When I sight in, I hold the fore-end & rest my hand on the front bag.

some more mechanics are important but yup this is basically what i do also.  basically it'll pop and come to rest pretty close to the bullseye over and over on good days.

post-4931-0-18368800-1457059894_thumb.jp

Experimentation stage with the 10/22 bench gun after the SAFE Act made my thumbhole stock illegal.

A wedge-shaped piece screwed to the butt to 'ride the bag' correctly, and a wide fore-end block attached to the front swivel stud to simulate a bench-style fore-end.

It was fun to play with because I just like to shoot, but it never came near the accuracy of the "illegal' thumbhole stock. I got frustrated and quit...