Time to Make Something With This Old Piece of Fence Post

Depending on how thick and heavy it is, it looks prime for a military '98 mauser action (military so it has the left side thumb cut out) and a 7x57 barrel.

While I'm not a fan of the raised European side panels, they seem to already be there, or are they just for vise work?

Looks like a really fun project, good luck!!

It should make some barreled action very happy, nice figure.

Al

The barreled action will be similar to this except for a straight bolt handle W/a slightly tear drop shaped knob.

001.jpg

So what are you thinking of doing with it? I'm guessing it won't be going a Mossberg, Savage or T/C..........

Bite your tongue! That would be sacrilegious!

Depending on how thick and heavy it is, it looks prime for a military '98 mauser action (military so it has the left side thumb cut out) and a 7x57 barrel.

While I'm not a fan of the raised European side panels, they seem to already be there, or are they just for vise work?

Looks like a really fun project, good luck!!

No it's not "military" but a 1960s era commercial Yugoslavian intermediate length LR 98 Mauser action. It is similar to the M48 Yugo military action but no stripper clip thumb slot or hump on the rear receiver bridge. It has a hinged floorplate W/lever release. They come D&T'ed for scope bases.

It will have the same Niedner steel buttplate & grip cap as well as a barrel band & boat style (rear) swivel stud.

CustomMauser001.jpg

MoreVZ500ObendorfMauser007.jpg

And yes it will be 7X57 Mauser albeit loaded to modern >60K pressure for 3050 (7mm-08 pressure) -3100fps  (slightly under 270 Win pressure) W/140gr Nosler Balistic Tips. And yes I will keep the classic European flat sides as it gives it a unique look that sets it apart from the average sporter.

I am ordering an ER-Shaw #3 barrel to be turned down to the custom contour as in the 8X57 barreled action above.

It is for my son & he wants it to be the little brother to the 8X57 I now have.(the flat sides will be a little narrowed top to bottom))

DSC04916_zpsyzabnant.jpg

(But I think it will be even more handsome)

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1

I would have loved to see in process photos, or better yet a video. I love watching as a project progresses. 

Well, I just ordered the barrel from ER Shaw & it will take 12-16 weeks so it will be a while before I get to that point!

I still have to bed the action, install the buttplate/grip cap etc so I can do about 90% of the work up to bedding the barrel. soldering on the barrel band, stock finish, rust bluing, etc. & such so I will do some pix of those procedures

Hopefully I can have it completed in time for deer season.

I just ordered the misc stuff from Midway.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/335507/prvi-partizan-reloading-brass-7x57mm-mauser-7mm-mauser-bag-of-100

7x57%20brass_zpsaqxrh7mi.jpg

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/662267/lee-pacesetter-3-die-set-7x57mm-mauser-7mm-mauser

7x57%20Dies_zpsnsezbhji.jpg

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/310429/nosler-ballistic-tip-hunting-bullets-284-caliber-7mm-284-diameter-140-grain-spitzer-box-of-50

7x57%20Bullets_zpsjzyxu3ea.jpg

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/691343/sunny-hill-niedner-style-grip-cap-checkered-steel-in-the-white

7x57%20Grip%20Cap_zpsvs254e6c.jpg

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/619353/sunny-hill-niedner-style-buttplate-checkered-steel-in-the-white

7x57%20Buttplate_zpsozyyssmy.jpg

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/766129/lee-collet-neck-sizer-die-7x57mm-mauser-7mm-mauser

7x57%20Die_zpsbdc76wtv.jpg

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/233412/talley-classic-bolt-handle-steel-in-the-white

7x57%20Bolt%20Handle_zpsj5rsod3k.jpg

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1781113977/talley-barrel-band-sling-swivel-stud-steel-in-the-white

7x57%20Barel%20Band%20Swivel%20Stud_zpsd

Lots of work to keep me busy until the batrrel gets here.

In the mean time I should be getting the barred action of my 8mm-06 Ackley back soon, but that won't take much work to get it shooting. Load development for that will keep me busy for a while.

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1

My package from Midway came yesterday. I laid out the parts & rubbed a little Minwax Antique Oil Finish into the wood to highlight the grain. It will look even better when it is sanded smooth & finished, but this gives an idea of the amount of fiddleback in the Black Walnut.

DSC04963_zps60xdam1o.jpg

A different angle.

DSC04962_zpss7rf5f3r.jpg

I've been working hard to get my gun building bench & R/C aircraft hanger into shape over the last week. I'm having foot surgery on the 24th & will have to stay off the foot completely for 6 weeks. Crutches & a "knee walker"! I'll have lots of arse time to spend at the benches building.

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 3

I'm keeping it a secret from my son. It would be wonderful to surprise him with it when we go to the range in the fall to check zeros!

I'll have 3 barreled actions to rust blue this summer counting this one, the 8mm-06 Ackley & Dads Krag. This one will be the priority.

Edited by wildcat junkie

I'm DROOLING over that piece of walnut...Can't wait to see the finished product, Wildcat ...

I saw the picture I posted in the 1st post on the website and it was marked down for clearance. It has a little bit of a gap @ the back of the rear receiver ring & it is channeled for a military barrel. All of that can be filled W/color matched glas & it won't be obvious unless on is looking very closely & looking for it specifically. The bottom metal opening is perfect & that is the hard one to fill.

I'll have the chamber area of the barrel exterior turned to duplicate the military profile anyway.

Since I had an intermediate length M98 action stashed, I scraped up the $$$ & bought it for a future project. I'm getting to the point where I need to get these rifles built while I can still enjoy them.

• Like 1

I got the work bench squared away.

DSC04972_zpsiilzpudp.jpg

I'm going out to the garage this afternoon to cut the stub off the butt & shape the end W/a grinder to prep for inletting the Neidner Buttplate.

The toe is the most fragile part of the stock, especially when a crescent shape is present. I want the butplate installed to protect the toe while the stock is being worked on.

• Like 1

Well sometime during a busy afternoon, I managed to take a sabre saw to the stub @ the butt & an angle grinder to to what was left.

DSC04977_zpsgxynpb2q.jpg

I use a flat flap disc W/inletting black to incrementaly rough bed the Neidner Buttplate.

DSC04978_zpsmzkxrwaf.jpg

After about 30-40 minutes of work I had a pretty consistent black line around the perimeter of the buttplate. I was trying to use natural light coming over my shoulder through the window. Unfortunately, the light refracted off the fine lines left by the flap wheel & distorted this picture.

DSC04973_zps5zdfzoyr.jpg

Even W/the poor picture quality, you can see that I am getting a pretty consistent, nearly constant line along the perimeter. It is now time for some chisel work. I have everything laid out & there is a stone under the bench to hone these babies razor sharp. If you look closely you can see the little tub of inetting black on the anvil end of my wood jawed vise @ the bottom left.

DSC04979_zpsuzj9ywuz.jpg

I'm going under the knife for some pretty extensive foot surgery in the morning so it might be a week or more before I get back to this. All I have to do is get my a$$ the the bench & everything is just about within arm's reach.

Stay tuned as this will be my 4th "widow's peak" style buttplate, my 2nd Neidner style. it is pretty tricky, having to go both in & down as you go. I've gotten to the point where I get pretty good results, but if anyone can give me any tips to speed up this process, I'm all ears.

The surgery seemed to go quite well. It was less complicated than the Dr thought. I'm sitting on the living room couch as I type.

Thanks for all the get well wishes, but this thread is not about my recovery. It is about being able to make progress during said recovery.

Looks like I should be able to get back to getting some work done in a few days. For now, I have gotten to the point that there is no need to go out to the garage to make progress, plenty of "sit down work" to do.

• Like 3