FISHER!!

Lawdwaz

I've had quite a "trail cam" season since last fall.  I got my first real bear video, multiple (including another today) bobcat videos and today...............my first fisher video.  I took a screen shot with my phone for upload here since uploading video is painful with my DSL.  If I get time later, maybe I'll load the video.

Here's what you get now..........:)

image_zpsbqntiatv.jpeg

• Like 12

Dat be a fisher, alright !

They can vary in size a LOT...A female may not be much bigger than a large mink, but a big male might weigh over ten pounds... The tail on that critter is much too full and heavy for a mink.

Nice shot, Larry....Next time you'll be posting a picture of a MOOSE !

Speaking of moose, I applied for my NB moose tag today, have you done yours yet ?

• Like 1

They are a favorite of mine, any animal that does in Porcupines and eats them is a friend of myself and my dogs. I wish there were a lot more of them around.

Al

Al, as a veteran of MANY quill pulling sessions, I would heartily agree with that.. Mostly it involved coon hounds, but we had an Airedale who was a family pet and she always had to try to KILL the damn things..

• Like 2

They are a favorite of mine, any animal that does in Porcupines and eats them is a friend of myself and my dogs. I wish there were a lot more of them around.

Al

I did not know that cool info...we have alot of porcupines around makes sense....is it also true they are havoc on small game and turkeys? Our turkey pop is going down drastically here.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Dan you and I have a lot in common, like you been there and done that more times than I care to remember. There is nothing that will ruin your day worse than when your hunting dogs tangle with a porky.

Hail to the Fisher!

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

I have heard they mess with the nests....and eggs.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I'm sure they do, Lammer...

However, so do skunks, possums, coons, foxes, coyotes, bears, domestic dogs, crows, ravens, bluejays and a bunch of other critters which are ALL much more numerous than fishers .. Even in areas where fisher populations are RELATIVELY high, there really aren't that many of them.. I doubt that fishers have a significant effect on turkey populations..

• Like 1

Great to see some fisher enthusiasm. Here are a couple of shots of 2 different animals from the bone yard. The distance from the camera may exaggerate the size different but one seems almost obese while the other is slender.  This is northern Otsego County. I added one more photo from the same spot that is not a fisher.

post-5300-0-16910900-1458564679_thumb.jp

post-5300-0-64693200-1458564705_thumb.jp

post-5300-0-70164200-1458564913_thumb.jp

• Like 8

I believe their diet consists of mostly various rodents like mice, chipmunks and squirrels also rabbits-hare and probably any small birds they can catch. I don't think they mess with Turkeys.

Al

Al, I'm pretty sure they eat turkeys as well. I don't have any official sources or video proof but I was told by one of my hunting buddies that has a ton of knowledge and does a lot of research, as well as spend lots and lots of time in the woods that they have been known to pick turkeys off their roost. I believed him at his word as we trade a lot of knowledge back and forth but I think I'm going to do some research on it myself and see what I can dig up to share.