Ticks are out

RoadKill44

I acquired a tick probably sometime Saturday morning while out checking the target range at the Avon Bowmen Archery Club. The tick wasn't discovered until last night when I took a closer look at the spot of irritation. Lets just say it was on the inside upper portion of the leg about 4 inches south of the business district and took mirrors to investigate. The wife performed a successful removal and found it to be the black legged deer tick variety.

So half the reason for being online this morning is to read up on the signs and symptoms of Lymes.

I also thought I'd share a few findings about ticks. It seems spring and summer are the critical times according to this chart.

post-7255-0-47832900-1458586235_thumb.jp 

Are any of the shed hunters out there taking precautions? Anyone else with bites yet this year (Mar. 2016)?

Edited by RoadKill44

I have seen some on my clothes but fortunately none on the skin.  As precaution i always ware layers and tuck and tape the ends to prevent crawlies from going up the pant legs.  Going down from the top is harder to prevent but if i know i am going into a "bad" area known for ticks i sometimes will put duct tape around the waist.

Ultimately it just comes to a good self examination when you get done with your woodsy outing.  Armpits, groin, back of the knees....for those of us who are heftier than others, under the belly...even the arse.  Its sounds silly to talk about but 2-3 extra minutes of prevention could save you a million times that in life long hassles.

EDIT:

As a side note, I have tried OFF and Skin-So-Soft that specifically says it prevents ticks from biting and from what I have witnessed, they don't prevent them from crawling around on you.

Edited by 22Plinker

I'd be at the doctor's and getting a course as a preventative measure.

Yup. I did that. I need a blood draw this afternoon and start Antibiotic today as well. Both deals are precautionary because it's believed ticks need to be on for 48 hours to do there potential Lyme injection thing. My case was 30 to 40 hours of attachment max. But, it's wise to not take a gamble, no matter how low the risk. At least not in my book.

Thanks for the heads up anyway phade. I do appreciate your advice.

This was my second experience with tick bite. I should have mentioned it in the first post as to the importance seeing a doc for checkout and proper meds.

• Like 1

Pulled 2 of them out of my dog after being in for at least a day. Put them in a bag incase he started acting weird I could bring him to the vet and have the tick as well.

You see a bulls eye you're in trouble I know that much. Good luck. I've had a few in me over the years and I freaking hate them things lol.

You see a bulls eye you're in trouble I know that much. Good luck. I've had a few in me over the years and I freaking hate them things lol.

If you see a red  bulls eye ring around the sight there's a good chance it's Lymes. But the bulls eye only shows 85% of the time. The other 15% of just local redness can still be Lymes. 

Me, I'm not waiting to see a bulls eye or not. I got the Rx (doxycycline) regiment started. It's just 14 days of two pills a day to greatly reduce the risk of a life time of suffering.

I have a friend that's suffered with it for 12 years now and a Brother-In-Law who contacted Lymes but suffered only a year or so because he identified it early on.

My message here is to see a doc anyway.

Never really seen ticks as a big problem around here. I may have plucked 3 of them off me tops over may years and miles.

Found a few on deer in the past, but not loads of them as some of you experience.

This will probably come back to bite  me (pun), but I take zero precautions thus far.

One thing I found out is that springtime ticks are usually found in overwinter tall grasses and blown leaf rows on the ground. It's the same thermally insulated habitat used by mice through the winter. Not that they will definitely be there or can't be elsewhere. This just describes a prime springtime spot for the small tiny nymphs which are more likely carrying Lymes.