FMJ Ammo

avg. joe

I was talking to a fellow hunter and we got onto the subject of ammo. He stated that he uses FMJ's for deer. Without wanting to get into an argument about it, I just changed the path and went from there. I looked (or tried to find) if FMJ's are even legal for deer in NY. I know Pennsylvania and others state that only expanding type bullets are legal for big game. Are they legal in NY?

I was talking to a fellow hunter and we got onto the subject of ammo. He stated that he uses FMJ's for deer. Without wanting to get into an argument about it, I just changed the path and went from there. I looked (or tried to find) if FMJ's are even legal for deer in NY. I know Pennsylvania and others state that only expanding type bullets are legal for big game. Are they legal in NY?

Probably the same guy that claims that the "7mm ought 8" is a magnum because ought 8 is bigger than ought 6 & his brother in law shot a der @ 3000yds W/one.

Using FMJ for any game other than maybe a charging Cape Buffalo or elephant is asinine..

• Like 8

Probably the same guy that claims that the "7mm ought 8" is a magnum because ought 8 is bigger than ought 6 & his brother in law shot a der @ 3000yds W/one.

Using FMJ for any game other than maybe a charging Cape Buffalo or elephant is asinine..

Thanks for the chuckle Wildcat. :rofl:

A fmj may kill a deer with a good shot placement  but you are more likely to get a pass through making it dangerous for anything/anyone beyond the deer. With all the choices available with expanding bullets there is no need to use full metal jackets. But to answer your question they are legal...just a poor choice for deer.

I'veuote name="wildcat junkie" post="460385" timestamp="1458605169"]

I've met that guy too! Lol.......

I must admit I would have had to check the regs to see if it was legal to use FMJ ammo for big game in NY. Expanding bullets are required by law in most states I have hunted in.

With the "any centerfire" regulation it is also legal to use anemic rounds such as .25 or .32 ACP for deer, but you'd hardly think that anyone would be silly enough to do it..

But then, there are those who would say they like the "challenge" of shooting 20 pound turkey gobblers with a .410....

i knew of a guy that used old military surplus 308 fmj ammo for deer hunting.  he claimed it could penetrate vitals no matter which way the deer was facing.  he didn't recover many and those he did got a lot of meat wasted.  I wouldn't ever condone using FMJ for hunting.

The only thing FMG’s are good for is fur bearer hunting to help prevent pelt damage.
The guy may be hunting with 5.56mm 55grfmj shot out of the m-16a1 with a 1 in 12 or a1 in 14 twist rate. That bullet would go in about 2cm turn sideways then go a few more cm. turn backward go a few more cm turn sideway and then exit backwards

This is interesting to me because I just bought a m1 Garand and would love to take it out next year...: there are not too many factory safe loads for this gun. Military surplus is really the way to go in this rifle..... Someone suggested that I take a file and file off the tip of the jacket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something in my deep, dark memory tells me that I have read that it can be dangerous to do that..

I load my own, so I can load expanding bullets to the same ballistics that the M1 was designed for..

Do some research on the filing off the tip thing..If I can find any info, I'll let you know.

A friend of mine used FMJ's out of his 308 for several seasons, because he got the ammo free. He complained every year about the effectiveness of the 308 on deer because the deer he shot with the FMJ rounds would have to almost always be tracked a long way, and the deer would sometimes still be alive when he found them.. He would never listen when I told him to start using a bullet designed for deer. He was convinced that 308 ammo was 308 ammo. I broke down and bought him a $19.99 box of Remington 150 Gr, core-loktes and he was finally convinced that the type of bullet makes a big difference. 

• Like 1

There is a lot of discussion online regarding the practice of altering the tips of FMJ ammo and also using it as is.. I'll let you check it out and make your own decisions.

If you have a friend who reloads, have him load any standard 150 grain .308" soft point with 46-48 grains of H4895 or IMR4895 and you will have a very close approximation of the original load that the M1 was designed for. Also, I suspect that if you do some online searches you may be able to find some custom loaded M1 friendly loads with expanding bullets. Good luck. I really enjoy hunting with my Garand.. Feel free to PM me if you want more details regarding my handloads.

. Do you have a 30-06 die? If not maybe we could figure something out if you were willing to load up some rounds for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only load for .243, but wouldn't mind helping you out with reloads.

I helped a buddy out with his first 308 reloads, and he didn't blow himself up, so that's a plus in my book. He also happen to get a 1/4" group at 100yards on his first set of reloads.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems