Patterning Your Load?

Lawdwaz

Patterned mine years ago 8 or 9 different manufactures,shot sizes, and shell legnths. then loaded up on the shells that worked best (bought a couple hundred) a shot at 30 is about a 3 in hole in paper so 1 shot before season to make sure reddot hasnt been bumped. and good to go

A THREE inch hole in the paper at 30 yards ?

I would like to see a picture of that...A 3" pattern would nearly decapitate a gobbler at 30 yards.

A pattern that dense would be a definite disadvantage to most hunters, who take their birds at normal ranges, from 20 to 40 yards...

• Like 2

I would like to see a picture of that...A 3" pattern would nearly decapitate a gobbler at 30 yards.

A pattern that dense would be a definite disadvantage to most hunters, who take their birds at normal ranges, from 20 to 40 yards...

Had to be a typo IMO

Yes, mid bead with High Viz (I think) magnetic front sight. 

I've been using this high tech sight for a few years.  One of the guys at the Gun Center gave it to me out of pity when he saw what I was using on my SBE................a weed stalk.

swarovskileupold021.jpg

I can't remember ever having anything that fancy. Just a single front bead site. The shotgun I have now is the first to even have fiber optic on a field barrel. LOL

Beer can would work, been done for years by many a hunter. The last time I did something like that I used a 2 liter bottle, taped a peice of paper with a turkey head and neck drawn on it and taped to the bottle to check density.

Edited by ....rob

Very nice pattern but I must say bring we don't know who is reading, the pattern imo is too high. If you aim for the wattles half the pattern goes towards the head, half down the neck thus allowing more shot to hit vitals. XRs are very tight patterning and a miss is easy for lots of folks, you can see how much shot missed the bird.

Not trying to criticize just mentioning another method

I totally understand..

I aim a little high for the reason of not having to pick out the pellets out of any breast meat, even if the shot was accidentally low. I have yet to miss a bird (knock on wood) even the ones under 10 yards. Im sure there will be a day i do lol. ive also "jerked" the trigger in excitement when the bird comes running in and wont stop for anything, and shoot quick hitting"low" and shooting half the beard off.. (still had 12" left on it :))

I used to do as you mentioned. but with the pattern is so tight and aiming where the feathers meet the neck.. i blow every feather off the birds neck and sometimes chest, when they're within 20 yards. which leaves me with no bird to mount. The 2 biggest birds i have killed where too close and aiming there destroys my chance of getting a full body mount. So for that, i aim a little higher than normal. 

Thats just me though

Also with it just a touch high at close range, i dont have to hold high at long range when the #4 pellets begin to drop. They are still right in there 

Heres the load setup @ 65 yards

Most impressive at that distance!!!

• Like 1

Yes, mid bead with High Viz (I think) magnetic front sight.

I've been using this high tech sight for a few years. One of the guys at the Gun Center gave it to me out of pity when he saw what I was using on my SBE................a weed stalk.

swarovskileupold021.jpg

hang on, back up. I'm struggling to believe part of this story. Someone at the Gun Center was nice to you???
  • Like 4

hang on, back up. I'm struggling to believe part of this story. Someone at the Gun Center was nice to you???

It was a fluke. :)

I know a bunch of the guys there, in addition to the owners.  Years ago the place was brutal, since they remodeled/expanded probably 16-18 years ago things have gotten better. (trust me)

I stopped in last week and Paul (in the handgun area) kept tossing semi autos at me, saying "Larry, have you seen this?  Or that?"  I said "no Paul, break 'em out".  He ALMOST sucked me in a on a CZ 75 Compact.........then he pulled a Dan Wesson Guardian out.  Oh my, what a work of art, $1500 for one hell of a gun!

I didn't take the bait, this time.  :)

Edited by Lawdwaz

It is very tight, back bored barrel and jugged choke, I have taken birds at 65 yards , and do not shoot closer than 30. It is also topped with a reddot sight.

It was custom made 15 years ago. As a turkey shoot gun..have to blow out the center of the target..

Just got my nephews 20ga set for youth hunt. It hated 3 in shells and patterned very well with 2 3/4 number 6s.

It is very tight, back bored barrel and jugged choke, I have taken birds at 65 yards , and do not shoot closer than 30. It is also topped with a reddot sight.

It was custom made 15 years ago. As a turkey shoot gun..have to blow out the center of the target..

What gun is it and who was your gunsmith?

Just got my nephews 20ga set for youth hunt. It hated 3 in shells and patterned very well with 2 3/4 number 6s.

Sure you didn't slip a couple slugs in by mistake??   LOL!!!!!

• Like 1

OK........here's the deal: I shot the gun last Tuesday; two shots at 40 yards; 30" circles; Genny can wired to center; bead on center of can; shots from bench rest.  1 with full choke and one with modified choke.  The load is Hevi-Shot 13 Magnum Blended 3.5" 12ga

Outcome:  Pattern is a bit low for my liking with both chokes.....The full choke is definitely tighter. 

The black square is 10"x10" with center of target of target 3.5" down and 5" left/right of edge.  102 pellets in the 10" square and 287 OUTSIDE of the 10" square for a TOTAL of 389 in the 30" circle.

I used to know the number of copper plated lead for #4, 5 and 6 shot per ounce was 135, 170 and 225 so 2 ounces or 2 1/4 ounces is pretty easy to figure out but I'm not sure how these blended loads are figured.  Either way, I think I got a fair amount or the full choke load in the 30" circle, just a little low. 

Damn breast are going to be Swiss Cheese......................... :(

Modified Choke with Genny Beer centered for bead hold.

image_zpsx2y606r5.jpeg

Full Choke sans the beer can, set against window for better viewing.  Black Sharpie used to count pellets............

IMG_0494_zpsz3lhqgij.jpg

Excuse me , Larry, I'm not trying to highjack your thread and I ask the forgiveness of those of you who have heard this story before, but it is one of my favorites...

An acquaintance had a rifle with an old scope and the CROSSHAIRS were missing from the scope.

When another fellow looked through the scope and asked the owner how he ever hit anything with it since the crosshairs were missing, the owner replied...

" It's a real BITCH until you get used to it ".

It's just a very large peep sight.

• Like 2

It was a fluke. :)

I know a bunch of the guys there, in addition to the owners.  Years ago the place was brutal, since they remodeled/expanded probably 16-18 years ago things have gotten better. (trust me)

I stopped in last week and Paul (in the handgun area) kept tossing semi autos at me, saying "Larry, have you seen this?  Or that?"  I said "no Paul, break 'em out".  He ALMOST sucked me in a on a CZ 75 Compact.........then he pulled a Dan Wesson Guardian out.  Oh my, what a work of art, $1500 for one hell of a gun!

I didn't take the bait, this time.  :)

Larry, that Paul guy you mentioned, did he use to work at G&R tackle on Seneca St. many years ago?

Larry, that Paul guy you mentioned, did he use to work at G&R tackle on Seneca St. many years ago?

I'm going to say no but I couldn't be positive, 99% sure he didn't.  G&R has been closed for how many years now, close to 20 I'd guess??

Were you a customer there?  I never spent too much money there but sure enjoyed it.  My good friend worked there for a spell back in the 60's and 70's IIRC.  As you might remember, the owner (Ray Kegler) enjoyed and sold art.  I think he even did custom framing too.  Well, my friend Tom had a couple art shows at the store back in the late 80's early 90's.  Good times!

I still have a custom knife from G&R.  It is a Heritage Knife.........Sid Bell had something to do with it I believe.

Cool store from what I remember.