Shot 3 jakes this morning!

wooly

With the camera of course,lol

I made some adjustments to my blind set up last night to put me in a better position for some better pics this morning.

The first gobble rattled off at 6:19am before a few hens showed up a little while later.

Eventually, these three jakes made their way in front of the blind and spotted my "fake jake".

I couldn't get out of the blind until 12:09 when they FINALLY made it to the far corner of the field and into the timber!

No longbeards today, but no shortage of fun and excitement behind the camera either!

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

• Like 17

Care to share your settings and setup for any other photographers on the forum, Wooly?  My wildlife shots suffer from not having fast enough telephoto glass.  

Thanks for checking them out guys!

Wildcats- I just use an entry level DSLR.

Nikon D-3200 with a slow 55mm-300mm F/ 4.5 - 5.6 Nikon lens.

I shoot most all of my critters in aperture priority.

When I moved my blind last night, I did so with the rising sun in mind. The first pic I posted here is the money shot I was looking to get, so I was pretty pumped when I got home to see the sunlight glowing through his fan the way I had planned!

Sometimes my best hunting set ups are not the best photography set ups, and vice versa. Whenever I have a chance to "scout" an area, I try to pay attention to the little things that will make for the best photo shots as well as the places I can kill an animal when the time finally arrives.

I don't hesitate to snap a TON of shots as well and sort through the best of the set when I have time.

I took over 300 pics out there today with these guys.... these were just the first ten that I got around to working on.

• Like 6

Unless you're in heavy woods, most wildlife shots are done during the day with a bunch of natural light. If you're not getting enough light to speed up your lens, bump up your ISO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Thanks, Elmo.  There's also the challenge of overcast days, dawn and dusk opportunities, heavy pines, etc.  Luckily, my camera does pretty well at higher ISOs.  I still won't shoot much higher than 3200 at the very high end though.  Just too much noise.  Especially if you plan on cropping.   

I always enjoy your pictures, Wooly.  Thanks for sharing. It's awesome that you shoot a D3200.  On the photography forums everyone is always after the latest and greatest gear.  All of the beginning shooters come around saying "If only I could afford a D500 or a D810, I could take pictures like that!"  Here, you're getting awesome shots with what you term an "entry-level" camera.  Like Larry said, it's often the indian, not the arrow.  

• Like 1

Wow! Wooly, great pics as always. I wish I remembered to bring my camera into my blind this morning. Next time I will bring it and hopefully I'll get some pics of that Tom that hung up on my son this morning.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2

• Like 1

I should really use the camera I got.  pretty decent one that sits there collecting dust well the bag anyway.  wooly one things I always think about it the shutter noise.  how close where they and do you think they minded at all?  awesome pictures.... even the best photographers out there take a ton and have to sort through them.  seems instead of the gun in the back seat they've got a camera and tripod.  never know when you will see something.  wife and I were heading to breakfast around 8:00AM and had a long beard with limb hangers walk right by us several yards from the car bumper.  we just sat there and watched.  would've been a perfect photo op.  wasn't on a property I knew of, so no APB went out to any youth hunters.

(must be late and i'm tired.  some mistakes needed correcting above.)

Edited by dbHunterNY
  • Like 1

They definitely were close enough to hear the shutter slap. Average shot from this set was about 5-20yds.

It actually made them shock gobble a few times! I think it probably sounds like something rustling in the leaves to them.

Sometimes I wont shoot if a critter gets too close is acting spooky, but these guys didn't have a care in the world.