Lost Bird

Five Seasons

The only way to know is to pattern it. I don't think drop was your problem. That Hevi-13 is actually not steel like waterfowl loads. Its a non toxic blend that is heavier than lead. Its pretty much the best shell you can buy.

You're right I double checked. I just knew it wasn't lead lol.

This was at 40 last year. I figured this was good?

D5BAA286-4E1E-4828-89D0-50106A1E5F75_zps

Edited by Belo

Shoot again, for some reason we are taught 1 shot only.. if you would of shot when you saw him again you may of had them.. even a 1 winged bird will out run you, and most likely 1 1 legged turkey could as well.. I tipped a big gobbler on film for a call company with black powder ( double barrel) rolled him right over looking at camera and he gets up and runs ,I thought my chest would explode from the downhill race I did several hundred yards.. was close a couple of times and never thought to use second shot.. never got him and I collapsed winded... with camera man laughing his head off .. I still have the unaired vhs tape someplace...

• Like 1

It has been about 2000 years since anyone who's perfect walked the earth, and all you did was proved you are human like the rest of us.  Thanks for posting.  It may help others, including myself avoid similar issues.  Looking on the bright side, I see it far better than loosing a deer.   A few pounds of semi-tasteless white meat means a lot less to me than a much greater quantity of top-quality, lean red stuff.  Since it was a tom, the loss will be minimal to the overall Turkey population, and even it's odds of survival sound pretty good.  Over more than thirty years, I have lost several deer (fortunately none in the last 10).  As a pure blooded "meat-hunter", I am still bothered slightly by a grey squirrel I dropped and lost last winter, and it hurts me a bit every time a fish that I hook gets away. What helps most in getting over it is getting back out there and doing it better the next time, taking full advantage of that lesson learned the hard way.   You are a better hunter because of it and there is always more learned from a mistake than by doing it right.                

Shoot again, for some reason we are taught 1 shot only.. if you would of shot when you saw him again you may of had them.. even a 1 winged bird will out run you, and most likely 1 1 legged turkey could as well.. I tipped a big gobbler on film for a call company with black powder ( double barrel) rolled him right over looking at camera and he gets up and runs ,I thought my chest would explode from the downhill race I did several hundred yards.. was close a couple of times and never thought to use second shot.. never got him and I collapsed winded... with camera man laughing his head off .. I still have the unaired vhs tape someplace...

We need to see this

Don't hesitate to use follow up shots if necessary. Having a few extra pellets in the bird is better than losing one that is hit.

Over my many years of turkey hunting , there have been several times when a quick second shot ( even a THIRD a couple of times) saved the day.  We always hope to make the first shot count, but it doesn't always work out that way. That's why they make repeaters.