Anyone still on their new years....

growalot

get fit resolution? Mine wasn't a resolution but a physical have to situation. I'm still at it...though discouraged in honesty. I took hunting season off at the gym..in Jan I went back...I had lost 35 pounds which still had me over weight...but  with the ripped ACL and the other  knee injuries plus the various other issues.I was still walking well and feeling strong and the weight had stayed off...2 weeks back in with no change in diet and working out everyday and 3 day.2-4hours a day at the gym...gained 9 pounds...Are you freaking kidding me!...Yep go back for my physical April 2...back up on BP meds and told to change ...Since April 2 have to stay off the treadmill...bike and elliptical only. Walk not one mile around our place(stay off roads,pavement) but 2 miles and back off weights. Do 2 hours of cardio daily.. 

So I do between 10 and 12 miles on the bike at 15 resistance(30-35 mins) and 4 miles on the elliptical at 15 resistance(20mins)  plus the physical therapy knee weights some rowing,presses, leg lifts, knee extensions, hip extensions all 50 to 90 #'s. Plus at home 50 sit ups, some weights and the elliptical 2 miles and outside 2 miles 7 days a week.  I am well over 50 miles a week and ...haven't lost a pound... It's so stupid, I can't even get depressed about it...lol

BTW diet...for years all we eat is boneless skinless chicken ,fish, once in a week venison and custom made chicken sausage...I do not bake other than for special occasions..which mostly take place at our daughters so that leaves a pie or two a year. We do not eat out and I do not drink pop or juice...and I haven't been to an ice cream stand since the kids were in high school.

I tell you this because if you are trying and getting discouraged with only a few pounds lost...remember this and say...well that's not so bad after all ;)

I laugh the ppl at the gym watch me closely...give me the great work out and high 5's, because they all see me there and watch me walk away soaked to the skin, hair dripping and ask..have your thyroid checked?..ya a half dozen times....Anyways how are you doing??? Encourage me with good news...

Edited by growalot

Well I already hit my goal of being able to bench 225 so now i'm looking at 315, but that will be a while from now. Right now i'm just focusing on adding some muscle mass, do more cardio and maybe hit 225 for more than 3 sets of 3 reps. 

Edited by ATbuckhunter

It's hard to lose weight now that I'm over 50 but it can be done. After a few months of not losing much weight I got serious and did some reading on the subject.  What has helped me is calorie counting and making a lifestyle change in what I eat. A body burns so many calories a day. I finally figured out that, if I eat fewer calories than my body burns I will lose weight! I know that sounds simple, but it's not. I write down everything I eat and keep track of my intake.  I also quit all sugar, bread, soda ect and mainly eat protein. I drink a lot of water and tea too.  I walk every day, do sit ups and other core work, lift weights a few times a week and started jogging too. Muscle burns fat, plain and simple. I am trimming down, feel stronger and just feel better all the way around. 

I still drink a few beers a day and enjoy really good food, but it's healthier food and less of it. I also take one day a week to eat what ever I want but I can't pack in the large amounts because my stomach is smaller and my brain just says, "dude, you don't need all that".  

• Like 1

At 61 it's tuffer to loose, but I am still with the program. We like to walk and ride bikes as much as we can besides trying to eat healthier too. Was 258 lbs. at my highest, down to 224 lbs. presently. Trying to hit 200 by September. "Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels"!!! :cheese: 

• Like 1

Wooly.... Mr B and now you make me sick!! ;)  We eat the same meals with this exception HE has to have a potato  and 1/2 avocado every night. Drinks a few NA's every day and AT LEAST a half a bag of chips or box of crackers just before dinner every night...then he has to have his chocolate bar or granola 2-4 and or 0 fat yogurt or ice cream...

I have to have a small coffee cup of honey bunches of oats cereal with low fat milk an hour before I want to go to sleep. This is because they say it aids in an all night sleep. Well being a person that all their life has had a horrible time sleeping straight through a night..Dang if it doesn't actual work! Plus I eat off a saucer not dinner plate and have to have a mixed green salad with very little dressing before each meal. Nothing ever fried in our house and I'm never with out a water bottle in hand...He weighs a whooping 157 and NEVER works out,walks(other than work)

Any ways great to hear you guys are trying to stay healthy...I can't wait until the weather warms for me to hit the lakes with the Kayak..Our Son got me a wheeled transport carrier for mine on my Birthday trying to talk our daughter into buying one so we can go put together.

do sit ups and other core work, lift weights

I did Grandma duty last night...dang he'll have me loosing weight soon...anyways after breakfast/bath  this morning, River helped Grandma out with her work out...I sat him on my stomach when I did my bridges...singing "Rivers helping Gram tighten those bums by sitting on her tum" Hahaha... he laughed and laughed! :D

Edited by growalot

Not a New Years resolution, but was 186lbs on 2/29. 168lbs now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put on that weight you lost    Although I had to drill a new hole in my gun/hunting belt the other day. Going in the right direction (making it smaller). I was pleased until the wife said the belt probably stretched .

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 3

I put on that weight you lost Although I had to drill a new hole in my gun/hunting belt the other day. Going in the right direction (making it smaller). I was pleased until the wife said the belt probably stretched .

Yea pool/beach season is almost here. Have to look respectable.

It's taken just about five years, but I've lost a total of 100 pounds even. I'm 6'1" and at my heaviest weighed just shy of 300 pounds. Weighed myself last night at 195 pounds. That is after a vacatiom in Maine eating very well, but not real healthy! The biggest change for me was cutting out as much sugar (I'm diabetic ) as possible and eating less food. That's it. But I stay very active too, walking in the woods, swimming, playing ball with my grandsons, snowshoeing in the winter, using the push mower more than I need to. It all adds up.

Grow, there were many times I would hit a plateau and seemed like I wasn't getting anywhere. Just keep at it! I'll be 59 soon and if I can do it anyone can! Hoping you become a big loser!!!.......in weight of course.

• Like 3

I'll tell you...even if I do not loose...I'm OK because with everything...I'm moving and strong and at 58 with the multitude of injuries over my life time..it really is a miracle....gosh just last night...went to shut PC room window ..it let loose and smashed right down on my left index knuckle...pretty sure it's fractured...lol ...Thinking It had to happen, probably one of the few remaining bones I have not fractured or broken... ;)

Grow, weight is just a number. We all want to look better but the number one goal should always be about being healthier. But like grampy said, plateau-ing is a real thing. Your body adjust to a routine. When that happens, change your exercise routine for a while and then you can go back.

As for myself. I didn't get to start my "New Years resolution" until the beginning of this month so I have no progress to report. I'm at 183. I'm normally about 160 so once I get back down to 165 I'll see about going lower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1