25-06 For Deer?

DirtTime

I shot mine for the first time today. I like the round, but I will be getting better glass for it before next season. I was mildly impressed with the Axis. It shot great from 50 & 100 yds with Hornady American Whitetail 117gr Interlocks. 10 shots and I was grouping in 4", acceptable, but I would have liked at least two holes touching. Probably shooter error. Sighted in while just  leaning against a tree. The g/f took one shot and was in 5". So she is good, but, I would like more time to get it dialed in a bit more.

I am not sure this is a great entry level caliber. Ammo can be hard to find. For a first deer rifle, I would suggest the .243 or even better a .308. JMO.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

You have your answer.  Nothing more to be said...........

Did I ask a question? Law is drinking brown liquor tonight. Nothing more to be said. LOL :mosking:

Just busting Law, don't let the brown stuff cloud your judgment big guy. :drinks:

2 minutes ago, ....rob said:

Did I ask a question? Law is drinking brown liquor tonight. Nothing more to be said. LOL :mosking:

Just busting Law, don't let the brown stuff cloud your judgment big guy. :drinks:

Your inexperience is showing. A 4" group is GREAT for leaning against a tree........you CAN NOT expect better.  Your right elbow is swinging in the breeze while your leaning against the tree.  You'll NEVER do better, especially with a 10 shot group!

Get yourself a bench and support the for-end and stock while sitting on a stable chair/stool.  That's the only way to test a rifle.

Cheers........ :)

• 3 weeks later...

My last 2 deer were taken with a 25-06, all one shot kills, none of the deer went far either.

My dad gave me the gun, so it's something I can't bring myself to stop using, and so far its proven itself.

I am uncertain though about its effectiveness on a black bear though? I firmly believe in shot placement, but I know on the deer, you really do not see the entrance wound on a deer with the 25-05, and the exit wound is pretty small.  I feel like a bear's fur would clog the entry/exit wounds with 25-06, resulting in a slower death. Anyone have input? 

I am far from a Ballistics expert, but do know that there is a lot more that goes into it than the weight of the bullet ( velocity being one of the other keys)...   All I know is that within 200 yards (I have never shot a deer at more than that) the 25.06 is devastating.  I will agree that the entry hole is not very big, but honestly, I don't think it matters because I have never had to follow a blood trail...    Granted I have only taken 4 deer with my 25.06, but all 4 deer have probably gone 20 yards combined...   It simply blows them over.   I am shooting 117gr Hornady American Whitetail ammo, that I can get for less than $20 on sale, so not breaking the bank on the "good stuff" either.

I would love to hear if anyone on the site has every shot a bear with a 25.06..   I would not hesitate at all.   I am confident it will more than get the job done (assume shot placement is good)..

The 25-06 with a 117-120 grain bullet has ballistics similar  to the .270 win with a 130 grain bullet, which is a proven performer on medium game like deer and black bear, and has taken it's fair share of bigger game up to the size of moose and elk.

It is an excellent deer cartridge...Is it perfect for black bear ?  Probably  not, but it will certainly do the job with good shot placement.

It is probably not the ideal choice for a dedicated bear rifle, but I wouldn't hesitate shooting the biggest black bear with it, given a good shot opportunity.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2016 at 10:40 AM, chas0218 said:

Those that have and shot one how is the recoil compared to a .243 with 90gr. bullet? I would like to get one for my wife (actually just an excuse for another gun) and she currently uses a .243 and is a complete recoil wuss. Although she has shot her 1187 20 gauge for deer she likes that .243 more. Hunting where we do there are some nice sized bear and I'm afraid that .243 wouldn't be enough if given the opportunity.

Not much more to shoot than a 243, figure the rifle scoped will weigh about 8 or 8.5 lbs, add to that mil recoil of the 25-06, it won't be really anything more than the 243.  I've owned them both and they both come back the same way.  

I've always wanted a 25-06, but I opted for a 7mm-08 last year instead. Only reason I opted for the 7mm-08 over the 25-06 was the gun shop offered me a free Redfield Revolution scope. Don't ask me why he wouldn't do the same deal for the 25-06. I still have my eye on a 25-06, and plan on getting one in the near future.

• 4 weeks later...

Ive been told that because they arent a prey animal they dont have the flight instinct after theyve been shot, and thats why they typically die in sight. Also that when marginally shot they dont lay down, they go and go and go and recovery is very difficult.

Anyway im following this thread because I need to get a rifle for my daughters and was thinking 25-06 or .243, I need something theyll enjoy shooting and not be afraid of recoil

I can remember when the 25-06 was still a "Wildcat" The 1st time I ever saw one was at a shooting range in Irwin, PA in 1967. The guys had a "nutcracker" hand held reloading press & they were doing load development right at the shooting bench.

If you're not going to hunt anything larger than deer or antelope, the .25 caliber rounds are very effective.

Edited by wildcat junkie